Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,884 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I are moving to the Charleston area from New Hampshire around Nov/Dec and we have started looking for homes and we are really torn on what to do.
We are in our mid 20's, with a large dog and a baby due in the next month. We are moving because I am starting to represent my company as the area sales rep. starting in January.

Here is our dilemma: My wife really wants to move to Mt. Pleasant. She has two sets of cousins there that we get along with really well, and those are our only connections in the area. However, our budget maxes out at $350k, and we don't even want to go that high. It seems like that doesn't get you much in Mt. P. Also, I will need access to the rest of the state regularly for work, and from what I gather, getting out of Mt. Pleasant during rush hour can be a nightmare.

We would really like to be in a sub-development or planned neighborhood since we will not really know anyone coming down here, and we will have a 6-month old, but this is not imperative. Must haves are general amenities within 10-15 minutes (grocery store, drugstore, a few decent restaurants at least, etc.), being relatively close to the highways (15-20 minutes), and less than a half hour from the beach. We would also like something relatively newer that doesn't require renovations, since our current house is 40+ years old and I am over having to use all of my free time to work on the house. It was fun at first, but now its just a drag.

I am looking forward to getting out of the snow and starting our life down in SC, and I appreciate in advance any help someone can provide with our search.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 03:08 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,429,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNP24 View Post
Hi all,
My wife and I are moving to the Charleston area from New Hampshire around Nov/Dec and we have started looking for homes and we are really torn on what to do.
We are in our mid 20's, with a large dog and a baby due in the next month. We are moving because I am starting to represent my company as the area sales rep. starting in January.

Here is our dilemma: My wife really wants to move to Mt. Pleasant. She has two sets of cousins there that we get along with really well, and those are our only connections in the area. However, our budget maxes out at $350k, and we don't even want to go that high. It seems like that doesn't get you much in Mt. P. Also, I will need access to the rest of the state regularly for work, and from what I gather, getting out of Mt. Pleasant during rush hour can be a nightmare.

We would really like to be in a sub-development or planned neighborhood since we will not really know anyone coming down here, and we will have a 6-month old, but this is not imperative. Must haves are general amenities within 10-15 minutes (grocery store, drugstore, a few decent restaurants at least, etc.), being relatively close to the highways (15-20 minutes), and less than a half hour from the beach. We would also like something relatively newer that doesn't require renovations, since our current house is 40+ years old and I am over having to use all of my free time to work on the house. It was fun at first, but now its just a drag.

I am looking forward to getting out of the snow and starting our life down in SC, and I appreciate in advance any help someone can provide with our search.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Since you seem to want to stay East of the Cooper... the first area that comes to mind would be Tupelo Forest .. a relatively new development on the north end of Mount Pleasant... within your budget ...easy access to all your stated needs ... just beyond the bad traffic...and close access to 526 ... to get you out of the area on your sales trips ( tho not without traffic on that route)... if you can manage not to travel during the height of rush hour ..its usually no problem...

The other thought...would be Hanahan...specifically The Tanner Plantations ...lots of young families...also being built out ... and within your price sweet spot... tho a bit further from the beaches...but probably within the 30 minute drive you mentioned.

And don't forget .. real estate taxes here are substantially below what the typical tax would be in NH... so you should be able to stretch your budget a bit on a monthly payment basis... Good luck!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,884 times
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. We're not opposed to going west of the Cooper, or even the Ashley. We checked out Carolina Bay in West Ashley, but it seemed a little expensive for what you were getting. Hanahan seems like a good place to start, though.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:19 PM

657 posts, read 741,640 times
Tanner plantation is what came to mind.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:43 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,429,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNP24 View Post
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. We're not opposed to going west of the Cooper, or even the Ashley. We checked out Carolina Bay in West Ashley, but it seemed a little expensive for what you were getting. Hanahan seems like a good place to start, though.
OK ...lol ...time to get the nomenclature correct...first lesson ..its East of the Cooper ... Downtown ... and West of the Ashley ( AKA West Ashley ). now you can talk like a native ..in part ...lol

kidding you of course ..

Old 07-29-2016, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 15,127 times
$350k will get you into MTP. That's about what we were comfortable spending and were able to find a single family home in Park West for less than that. You just have to be patient.

As for traffic, it's all relative. I grew up on the north shore of Boston and traffic here is nothing like it is there or any other big metro.

I'd recommend renting for awhile first and getting used to the area. We rented for 3 years before purchasing our own home. That gave us the time to figure out where we spent most of our time and the pros/cons of each area.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:07 PM

14,280 posts, read 14,823,288 times
Location, location, location.

My only problem with new developments (and my last two have been such) is if one has to sell and the developer is still building in the same development, one might not get the price they need to break even never mind make a few bucks.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:48 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,350,902 times
There are some homes available in Park West for around your $350 mark that are less than 15 years old.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:24 PM

3,872 posts, read 4,620,426 times
As usual the suggestions are good ones. Tanner Plantation in Hanahan will get you more house for your money than what you'll find in Mt P but depending on what you're looking for in the way of Bedrooms, Sqft, etc, you can find it in Mt P too. How old is too old for a house? You might even get new in Tupelo if you don't need a big house. Also, I'm assuming you're only looking for single family detached and not a townhouse.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:42 PM

120 posts, read 237,573 times
For access to the rest of the state you will need to be near I-26. I would look on the north side of Summerville to get past the heavy traffic. There are a number of subdivisions that will meet all of your criteria except 1/2-hour access to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area