Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:08 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,302,480 times

Advertisements

I would get a realtor and start looking in your price range in Mt. P and see what you can get. You and your wife may or may not like it and want to try looking somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:18 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,835,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNP24 View Post
words
IMO you are best off renting first so you can figure out what really like The best instead of locking yourself into a house or condo.

Besides, right now you would be buying into a ridiculously overpriced market and by the time the lease is up the bubble may have popped.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:56 AM

657 posts, read 744,023 times
Or prices go up even more next year once the lease would be up...

Old 07-31-2016, 11:35 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,946,866 times
Jeremy,
RENT something in Mt. Pleasant for one year.
Buying and selling is expensive, especially selling, and you are moving to an unknown place.
You will have a year or two to decide where you want to live, not a home to sell because you bought
and you don't really like the area you bought in.
Rent, you can always buy.
Stay around family when you first move down, your wife is going to need that emotional support.
It's not easy being a new mom, and then moving to a different state and environment, well, lets just
say it will make the move smoother for all of you.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
Or prices go up even more next year once the lease would be up...
Even if you don't subscribe to the same theory that I have (that we are in another housing bubble), odds are very much against prices going up by enough for the OP to cover realtor fees and closing costs they pay when purchasing the place if they sell in one year. At such a short timeline it just doesn't add up.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 AM

657 posts, read 744,023 times
I am actually on board with people renting for a year. There are too many locations and traffic nuances to buy something prior to living here (And obviously selling a house after one year would probably never be economical in any environment). I mostly disagree that there is a bubble that would burst in the next year or 2.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:04 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,639,171 times
Renting first is a two-edged sword. Moving itself takes quite a bit of time, effort and expense so renting first automatically incurs that downside.
Also, prices are currently rising and if they continue this trend and at this rate (~5% per year) you could end up paying $15k to $20k more for the house you're looking for. Of course prices could also drop, but that is not the short term expectation of nearly anyone who follows the housing market that I know of. (Scuba Steve aside ) I'm not just a Realtor sugar coating my words either... I'm not selling any of my properties and in fact just bought another in June. I don't believe we have a bubble and I think the market will rise for the next few years at least.

Now having said that, I do think renting is the better option if you really can't seem to figure out which area works best for you. Yes, it might cost more and be more trouble but Scuba Steve's right; it would still be less expensive and easier than a mis-step that would have you re-selling in a year.

So if you research the area, visit the neighborhoods you're considering and can feel fairly confident in your choice, then buying now would probably be the better choice. If you can't get that "this is it" feeling when you visit, then renting might be for you. When making that decision, don't forget to look at the price of rentals.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 AM

Slightly OT: From what I remember shortly after the music stopped last time there weren't large price drops immediately. IMO, and feel free to bump in a year for comedy if it's horribly wrong, is that things will be stable to slightly negative YOY this time next year and the US economy will be in an (official) recession. Rates are already low enough so they realistically can't be dropped much, if at all.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:28 AM

14,299 posts, read 14,892,588 times
I go along with those suggesting a years rental. You will make a much sounder choice or where to buy/live after having a years experience living in the area. As you are leaning toward MTP, I suggest renting there.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,191,008 times
I'm a former Mainah! Anyway.....

My suggestion would be to live fairly close to where you work. I love Mt. P but I prefer that my husband have a shorter commute than live in Mt. P. There were also neighborhoods in Summerville that I was sold on but never found that house that felt like the right one. I found a house in an established subdivision in Goose Creek. Our house was built in the 80s so the renovations are cosmetic. My husband has a 10 minute commute to work....priceless. We live close enough to the beaches, shopping, and downtown Charleston so we have a nice quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area