Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,132 times

Advertisements

I look at the Milo Webcam daily as it's only a few miles from Dover and I like to see what the weather is doing in that region. Today it looks just perfect with the sun and 41 degrees. But I can't help but notice the brown stuff on many of the cars I see go past. I have been told out here in Cal. by other Mainers visiting that when I drive my black Passat wagon back there soon, don't expect it to look like it does now. That I can expect a more salty look to the car, most of the winter season. Does that mean that it will look like mud and it will be a brown color or a white, salty color? Anyone have pictures of what their vehicles look like in winter? And do you do anything to protect the cars body like Rain-X on the windows? Are car washes prevalent in the area or do cars just stay dirty all the time? My car is a front wheel drive and has heated seats. I know those are good things to have up in Tahoe for skiing. It gets over 25mpg and I am keeping it for a few more years. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
Many people go to car washes all the time. There are quite a few around now. On a sunny spring day they're lined up around the block. I generally don't bother until the snow melts and the roads dry. Rain, melt water and snow are still going to be around for a while now. If you washed your car this afternoon by the time you got home it would look like you never touched it as the roads are covered in melt water mixed with sand and salt. It's pretty difficult to keep it off a car this time of year.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
I'm gonna hafta remember to wave next time I go by Trask Insurance.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,368,131 times
Here in CO they use Mag Chloride on the roads, which is corrosive to the chrome on bumpers and grills, more than anything. It's hard to get the stuff off when it's dried. Speaking of which...I need to wash the truck! After our wimpy storm this week, folks will be scrambling for the car washes I'm sure...

Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I'm gonna hafta remember to wave next time I go by Trask Insurance.
Their webcam is one of the best around as it resets every 5 seconds. And I love the archives there too. They take a still shot every half hour and at the end of the day , I can see what the whole day was like for you Central Mainers. I'm hoping one of you CDers can check your watches when driving by and if you're driving by Trask on the top or bottom of the hour, then stop and wave. Is there a special CD wave?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:01 PM

I guess maybe,... the "YMCA" The best thing would probably be to park right at Trask, walk to the edge of the parking lot near the road and wave like a fool.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Is there a special CD wave?
Yes there is but it doesn't show up too well with mittens on!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,256 times
I just washed my white car yesterday. The bottom half was basically black/brown from road dirt.

I try to wash it every week or two in the winter IF the temp is above freezing. Washing below freezing can create problems - frozen windows that won't open, frozen locks, etc. Not washing the car will allow sand/salt to build up and rust it away. Newer cars today don't have that problem as much as the bodywork has new alloys of metals that are much more resistent to rust. I can end up going 2 months or more between washes in the winter.

There are plenty of car washes around. Gets expensive though - the one I hit is south portland was $9 for a basic wash. Course - it is a tunnel that does a real nice job.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yes there is but it doesn't show up too well with mittens on!
LOLOLOL!!! Hysterical!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:58 PM

We have a car wash just down the street. We washed the car a little over a week ago. A couple days later the car wouldn't start. I don't know if it had anything to do with it other than salt and sand kept the car thawed? We try to wash it if we know it's going to be a couple days of fair weather in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine