Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 PM

36 posts, read 71,439 times

Advertisements

I posted this thread in the Maine forums as well as here.
My husband and I are tired of Phoenix. We hate the heat, the crime, and pretty much Phoenix as a whole. We really want to move to a smaller city, with good schools, affordable housing, jobs, low crime, and friendly people. I am a native to Phoenix, and my husband is almost a native. He moved here from Michigan when he was three, and Phoenix is all he knows.
One of our most major problems is based on the climate. Coming from an area when the temperature is either very hot, or not as hot is making it difficult for us to decide on an area. We have narrowed our choices down to Portland/Augusta ME, Salem/Eugene, OR, and we are somewhat considering Appleton, WI (my father is near by). So far some of our concerns about Portland/Augusta have to do with work, and cost of living. We are also greatly concerned about the snow. Coming from Phoenix, and a hot blazing sun, we have no idea what the stuff looks like. We desperately want a change and a slower paced life style. Otherwise our research shows it is a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
We have similar issues with Oregon, cost of living is high, crime is not much lower than the national average, and of course, the rain. Non-stop heat and sunshine to non-stop clouds and rain, are a concern. Otherwise the scenery, and climate are very favorable. We are definitely leaning more towards Oregon at this point, but we are hung up on the cost of living, rain, job availability and crime. I also read that traffic is quite bad.
We also want culture, meaning festivals, museums, and arts. We want to choose a place that will enable us to utilize the outdoors and grow as a family of artistic people.
Unfortunately anywhere we go will be a major adjustment for us. We desperately need advice from people who have experienced a similar change, and who have or have not been able to adjust. This is a very large decision for us considering our two young children, and we want to make our moves as few as possible.
In case you are wondering, we are planning on renting initially so we can venture out and find "our spot" from there.
Any advice will help. Any info is good info, and every opinion counts, whether it be good or bad. If it is bad, please do your best to describe why. Every one has different likes and dislikes, and I want to do my best to be able to identify.
~Thanks~
(I thought this posted but it is not showing, so I apologize if it appears twice)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:06 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Climate wise you will find Eugene/Salem Oregon much more temperate then Portland ME. The Willamette Valley has a mild 4 season climate which is nearly the same as England and Ireland. The downside is the weather from November-April can be mostly cloudy, damp and either rainy or drizzly and foggy. Its not cold really, but the apparent temperture will seem colder because of the dampness. May through October are much more pleasant-with lots of sunny days, and warm dry heat.

Portland Maine has a 4 season mid latitude humid continental climate that is modified somewhat by the maritime influence of the Atlantic. Winters begin in December and end in late March. Snowfall averages 65-70" a season, compared to about 8" in Eugene.
There is a slight sunshine maximum in the summer in Portland- but there is not the 5-6 months of clouds as in Eugene. It will rain or snow in the winter, then you will have several days of cold but sunny weather.

Springs are late to arrive in coastal New England because of the still chilled waters of the Atlantic. Summers are most pleasant in coastal Maine- lots of warm sunny days. There may be a few heat waves that bring unpleasant levels of humidity and heat- but they seldom last long. Autumns are beautiful and extend well into late November with mild pleasant conditions.

The cost of housing in Portland will be slightly less then Eugene- and in areas to the north and further east-like Bangor- much less. Energy costs in New England can be high- and one must consider the price of heating. Maine is notorious for its taxes- but I know they can be high in Oregon- especially real estate, since they have no sales tax.

Crime in Maine will be substantially lower in Portland and all of Maine compared to Eugene, Salem and Portland OR.

Schools in Maine will be better as well- Oregon drastically under funds education.

Portland is a neat little city offering much culture- with a beautiful waterfront. Plus it is less then 1.5 hours to Boston.

Both Eugene & Salem as well as Maine will have unlimited outdoor recreation.

Appleton is a fine little city as well- but will have colder winters then coastal Maine.

I may add you might also consider eastern Connecticut. Low crime very rural, lots of culture, wineries, near the ocean, milder climate then Portland, housing prices lower then Oregon and most of coastal Maine- and close to Hartford (ranked as the 25th best city in the US & Canada for culture and the arts) and Providence Rhode Island to the east, another fine city.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-13-2008 at 04:55 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Why not move somewhere else in AZ....or...have you thought about Central Atlantic areas...VA, NC, and SC. There are many small cities in NC that could fit your profile. Yes, Maine does have a much lower crime rate "overall”. But there is a reason for that. the state is isolated and has long tough winters. NC would give you a lot of change but still have some decent weather.

I am not down on Maine...necessarily. but everything looks so nice from a distance. I get to go to phoenix a couple of times a year. a have a friend in Ahwatukee. he is about as effected from crime as i am here in Maine. except maybe when he turns on the news. it looks real bad. Phoenix population is more than the whole state of Maine.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM

Thank you all for your replies. As for AZ, we are just done. The desert is beautiful, but the population growth has pretty much destroyed the beautiful landscape that once surrounded this area. We are also very tired of the heat, and would like to experience some seasons. My kids want to experience the snow.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times
Ah, yes snow....the wonder of the universe!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Snow is lovely around Christmas time, in March and April....not so much! I can see where it would be fun if you have never experienced it before. Though you have to dress like an astronaut to spend any time in the outdoors in the winter. It was 39 degrees here today after the brief snow squalls we had in the morning. I was out breaking up ice in the driveway in just a shirt and a sweater thinking it felt pretty warm. Two weeks ago I had on an entire snowmobile bib set ,double snowmobile coat,thick felt boots and heavy mittens to go outside to watch the eclipse of the moon from atop a big snowbank. That night it was 9 degrees outside. I sat in the snow for an hour and a half and was warm as could be. I've also been in Florida in April when people go scrambling for their jackets because it was ONLY 60 degrees out at night! I was out barbequing in my shorts and a cotton shirt thinking how nice it was to be in "summer weather". The locals thought I was nuts! It's all what you get used to I guess. Though one thing's for sure you will need a much more extensive wardrobe than the one you currently own!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:24 PM

10 posts, read 23,882 times
Good luck with your decision, and eventual move. I too have a family here in Phoenix, and will be moving back to Florida in July. At this point the only thing that is keeping me sane is my work. I think Phoenix is overbloated with nothingness.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,597 times
Smile Need Advice In Arizona

I moved to Phoenix 47 yrs ago from Maine. I return there for visits quite often. I agree that Phoenix has turned into a crime ridden, hot and over crowded city. I too have thought of moving back to Maine, however, I don't think I could handle the cold weather after so many yrs in the arizona climate.
I moved to Georgia from Arizona and only lasted 1 yr. I could not adjust to the weather. The winters were rainy and cold. The summers were too humid. I returned to Phoenix, and was never so happy to see the sun shining again. Also another thing to consider. Arizona and the SW has wide open spaces. Maine has lots of forests and trees. They are beautiful, but when I go back to visit, I feel closed in by all the trees. I never thought I would appreciate the wide open spaces when I first moved to Arizona but now I do. Have you considered moving to northern Arizona? Maybe Flagstaff or Showlow? I have a summer home in northern AZ. and it is nice to go there when the temps are high in Phoenix. It snows there too, but not as much as in Maine.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:16 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
People might find this interesting; years ago I had met some 20 year olds from Ireland. They had arrived in Boston with back packs and some cash. They thought they would be able to back pack to California and that including some hitch hiking it would take them only 2 days. I couldn't help but laugh...their whole perception of how big this country was way off. A map, and some enlightenment...I convinced them to rethink their agenda

Maine is a big state........I here that a lot....and why not. You could spend a day driving from the southern part to the northern part. Being surrounded by states like NH, MA, VT, RI help too. But I just looked at AZ...You could fit 3.25 Maine's in the state of AZ. I don’t know, I just found it interesting.

Enjoy your research into Maine. It is certainly unique. I guess unlike AZ which could be similiar to Nevada and Nm ect. Maine really is unique...much more of an authentic water front then NH, MA, Ect. If you decide to come..take some time and research the Lewiston/Auburn area. It has a rich history, affordable living, and decent employment opportunities. Good Luck

Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 AM

I find all of your info very helpful. I am looking forward to lots of trees, and forests. Northern AZ doesn't really do anything for us. We had considered it several years ago when our first child was born, and it's not the culture rich environment we are looking for.
And yes, it is all relative to what you are used to. Here we spend most of our time closed up in the summer because it is too hot. Pretty much every summer our A/C goes out any time it gets over 100 degrees, and that is quite often. We are looking forward to buying a new wardrobe, and adjusting to a new climate. It's just based on what appeals to us region wise, it's one extreme to the next. Had we lived in any other state our whole lives, I don't think this would be an issue.
As far as the other states, Maine just really caught our attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine