Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:55 AM

56 posts, read 48,397 times

Advertisements

I haven’t signed a lease yet, but I’m planning on renting in Brooksville for the winter. I learned today that snow removal, along with all other utilities, are my responsibility. (We thought snow removal, lawn care, internet, were included). I really love the area, the house is a good fit, but with nothing included, monthly costs will be much more than expected.

Anyone in the area have an idea of what we will spend on plowing? Typically I shovel, but I’m not sure I can keep up with a longer driveway and Maine snow totals. Also, chords of wood (?!) My CT roots are showing I would like to save on oil, and I’m not at all familiar with how much wood or where to buy it. And I was told 7-800 gallons average oil/ year - but that was a different house without the option of firewood. I’ve read internet speeds are about 25 Mbps in Blue Hill - But I’m not finding a provider for wireless internet in Brooksville. And Verizon service - again it was fine in the Blue Hill to Ellsworth area. No idea about Brooksville!

What else? I want to be sure I think of everything so I am financially prepared. Everything I’ve read - I love it, I’ve always loved Maine, the area is wonderful, and I am up for the challenge. We have an two other options, and one is in Blue Hill, the other is Orrington, but Brooksville is the only definite while we wait to hear on the others. Part of me prefers Blue Hill, for my kids, but Brooksville is beautiful, with the lease ready. I don’t want to give up on Brooksville. Please help!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 12:05 PM

Forget it - we passed on the rental. Thank you anyway!

Old 11-18-2018, 01:55 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,893,375 times
From 12:55 until 2:05 p.m. It took you one hour and ten minutes or less to give up on the Brooksville rental. Did you find another rental in Brooksville or did you give up on Brooksville?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
They got a place in East Blue Hill.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:35 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,627 times
Ought to be the same question since EBH is only 6 miles from Brooksville. But maybe they don’t need all those things.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Ought to be the same question since EBH is only 6 miles from Brooksville. But maybe they don’t need all those things.
Where she was asking about is a bit further than 6 miles. Brooksville actually has a jog into Sedgwick. When the towns were split, the one land owner didn't want to live in Sedgwick, so they let his land stay in Brooksville.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Yes, we passed on the Brooksville house. I’m not sure if the property manager misspoke, or mislead, but it wasn’t a good fit. The house in Blue Hill will be an easier commute for my husband, and Blue Hill Consolidated looks great - I think my kids will enjoy it. It is a seasonal rental, everything included, and a fantastic property manager. Overall less to worry about as we transition out of the military. It’s about 4 miles east of the center, off E Blue Hill Rd, but the address is Blue Hill, not EBH - eastern BH? Ha.

Looking at a map, I thought the same, Brooksville and Blue Hill would be a similar drive to Ellsworth and Bangor, with similar amenities. But the towns are so large, Brooksville is more rural, and a solid 20 minutes farther out with fewer amenities. This reminds me of the rural vs small town thread - we chose a semi remote area of a small town.

Thanks for the help and input. And no, we aren’t giving up on Maine. I’ve visited in the winter, and my entire life in New England, I just sort panicked after dealing with that first property manager and hearing about many details I hadn’t considered.

Last edited by britt_brt; 11-20-2018 at 06:46 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 05:32 AM

846 posts, read 1,019,847 times
You have to focus on what works for you. Congratulations and welcome home!

Old 11-22-2018, 02:43 PM

131 posts, read 143,922 times
as someone someday considering maine still interested to know about the process of having driveways plowed as far as cost availability and getting it all setup

Old 11-22-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll88 View Post
as someone someday considering maine still interested to know about the process of having driveways plowed as far as cost availability and getting it all setup
Whatever area you are living in, you contact a few snow plow guys and get prices. Choose whichever one you want. Your prices will vary depending on what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine