Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:52 AM

337 posts, read 429,987 times

Advertisements

I've been a member here for quite a while,gleaning as much information as I can about your fair state and contributing what I could when it seemed appropriate. I've eagerly followed many of the newcomers stories as they began their sojourn North with great interest so that I might avoid making common mistakes. As we approach mid-April, we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with our home updates as we ready our house for the Connecticut market. Our plan is quite simple, actually.

We will put our house up for sale and, I hope with bated breath, that it will sell relatively quickly. My wife is still working for the time being, I'm essentially retired. I've had a cabinet making business for 26 years but I've wound down all my projects and can't take on any new ones for fear that I'd be stuck without a shop if the house does sell. So, we will pack up our belongings into Pods and move the 1-1/2 miles up the road into my mother-in-law's home for the intermediate future. She's asked us a dozen times so we'll happily oblige. Then, after the dust settles and the homestead is sold, I will begin the task of spending days in Maine to reconnoiter for new digs. We are trying to stay south of Wiscasset. It is truly unfortunate that Wiscasset has to have such a traffic issue with that bridge. We've encountered it every single time we've traveled North in that area. We'd love to find a place in any of the towns East of Wiscasset but there's no way we want to inflict that sometimes hour-long wait on our visiting family and friends. So, we'll concentrate on the Western side and South of that area.

We'll be looking for a place under $200k, preferably ranch-style home on one floor (as we age ) with a garage and with a couple of acres were we don't see our neighbors every morning and night. Being within an easy drive to a city with access of physicians, of course, would be important as we age as well. I've noticed that there are a lot of homes coming back into the market after the winter. That's helpful to us, of course. We've found a few even in Freeport and Brunswick that met our criteria. We're not ready to plunk down bucks yet, however, until we unload our current burden. I do have a realtor feeding me streaming properties which helps a lot.

So, this begins our journey to the North that we have been working hard toward for the previous 5 years. It took me 3 years to convince my wife that it was time to leave Connecticut as they are working hard to make our retirement years very uncomfortable by taxing anything that moves and even tolling the local highways.

We'll be looking forward to anything you all find interesting to comment on as we begin our journey. I'll contribute information as it becomes available, especially when the house is actually on the market. It's a very special house in so many ways and, I believe, will call out to a family as it did to ours 32 years ago.

While so many of our friends prefer to move south, we're New Englanders to the end and moving up to Maine will be the culmination of a very long dream and we're looking forward to having you all as neighbors if only on the 'net.

Thanks!

Rome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Awesome story and excited for you. Best of luck.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
You won't regret it. I was raised in CT, and when I visit "home", I am amazed at how many people can live in one little spot...the air is better in Maine, the scenery is better in Maine, and, well, life is better in Maine.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:16 PM

64 posts, read 60,422 times
Congratulations, Cuffler. I am one year into my move to the midcoast area and I absolutely love it. Will look forward to your reports!

Old 04-12-2018, 04:36 PM

217 posts, read 199,994 times
We came up from NC almost 3 years ago. Wish we had made the move sooner!

Good luck, exciting times!

Old 04-13-2018, 06:16 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
Good luck and be ready to jump quickly on a property in Cumberland County that meets your criteria. The competition to buy that type of home is fierce. You will have an advantage if you're not using VA/FHA/USDA RD financing.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:04 AM

319 posts, read 346,492 times
Good luck on your adventure!

Old 04-13-2018, 03:52 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Go further north than Gorham. In Ellsworth, you can find lots of choices, and with Bangor 45 minutes away and MDI 20 minutes, you will have everything you need.

I moved here 1/10 of my life ago, and have never looked back.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:18 PM

605 posts, read 624,888 times
The Wiscasset bridge is a big concern for me to. Another solution might be to go farther up the coast so that you rarely have to go down to Wisacasset.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:15 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
Congratulations, I am halfway to living in Maine full time. I spend more time there than NC. I am pulling the plug on everything and that takes time. All of my contractual obligations end April 30th. After that, all I have to do is sell a house, and finish my garage in Maine. Someone mentioned Ellsworth, it certainly has all the things someone would need to make it however I find the traffic horrible in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine