Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:25 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,444 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I have always thought I would like to live in Maine. Never been there- don't know anything about it, but its one of those places that just 'seems nice'.

Whether or not I could talk hubby into it would be a whole other story.

I'll tell you what we are looking for, and maybe the kind people here could tell me if such a place exists.

-large house- between 5000-7000 sf w/ finished basement, min 4 bedrooms, prefer 3+ garages. Doesn't have to be new, but must be a nice layout.. ( I know, nice is subjective)

-neighborhood with lots of kids, but houses aren't packed together so tight you can see what your neighbor is eating for dinner ( so... at least 1/2 acre, preferably more)

-near to shopping/restaurants

-good schools

-FRIENDLY PEOPLE!

-Prefer no HOA (or at least one that is not so overbearing that I have to ask permission to plant flowers!)

a little about us, since I want to know so much about you- hubby and I both grew up in the Raleigh/Cary area of NC - its changed a LOT from what it was when we were kids, and even young adults. Population explosion, etc...

While we have found several homes that we like here, often they are in HOA neighborhoods with really strict covenants, and I'm much more the 'live and let live' type. Want to paint your home purple...well, if it makes you happy Obviously we don't want to see run down and neglected homes, but we do like to see personalities in yards and homes. Does that make sense?

Maybe I'm looking for a place that doesn't really exist, or maybe I have too high of expectations, but I can't help but think that the 'perfect' place is somewhere.

What are the pluses? What are the negatives? Good areas and bad? neighborhoods we might like?

Help me out folks- I know a LOT about NC, but zippo about Maine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
"Maybe I'm looking for a place that doesn't really exist, or maybe I have too high of expectations, but I can't help but think that the 'perfect' place is somewhere."

Good news. It exists and most homes like that are on 5 acre lots in southern Maine. Many farm families have sold 20 to 40 acres off the old homestead and the rest is still a farm. The developed lots are 3 to 5 acres and there are some fine homes on them. 5,000 sqare feet in a neighborhood is a little hard to find, but there are many of them from 3,000 to 4,000 square feet.

The only place I know where there are such 5,000 square foot homes that I know of in neighborhoods is in the Falmouth, Yarmouth, Freeport area. Such homes are everywhere in Maine, but they are often isolated and on large acreage parcels.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
I think there are a few cul-de-sacs in Hampden that might warrant a look too. I know they are on at least 1 acre lots and the homes are large, but perhaps not as much as 5000 sq ft. Don't know about the HOA situation. Hampden has good schools and is just 10 minutes to Bangor.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:57 AM

87 posts, read 322,250 times
Well I can't help too much but what I can tell you is that HOA's are almost non-existant in New England. I've always seen that of more of a southern things. There are a few here and there, but hard to find. In New England you'll mostly find restrictions in historic neighborhoods-you usually have to check with the local historical society before you paint your house, etc.

And 5000-7000 sq feet?! Wow that's a large house! To get everything you described (neighborhood, close to shopping, etc.) it might cost you big bucks especially if you're looking in the Falmouth, Yarmouth area that might have the kinds of neighborhoods you described. Maine is a very large state and differs from one area to another. The southern part is vastly different from the northern. Maybe you could be more specific and we could help you better

Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 AM

307 posts, read 1,589,241 times
Default we are moving to Maine too

We are moving to Maine from the Triangle area of NC too. I would suggest you keep in mind heating all of those 5-7000 sq ft! A large house has higher costs to maintain and the housing prices in general are more expensive in Maine than NC.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
NorthernMaineLandMan is right (pre usual) I also think you'll get a lot more house for your dollar in southern Miane than you might in Your area. Do a little reading on the area and try to make a trip up here and actually see for yourself. The down side, the housing market is down so it may not be easy to sell your home right now. Take the time to know what you're getting into first though!
Falmouth, Maine (ME) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Yarmouth, Maine (ME) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 PM

oh we would definitely visit at LEAST once before committing to purchasing a home! lol

We are blessed that we have the resources to afford such a large home, and since hubby and I both work from home, its darn near a necessity to keep us from being incarcerated for attempted murder! lol

My thought on where would be southern Maine, but again, I don't know the areas and am just beginning to learn and research- still looking for a good real estate site that is pretty comprehensive (any suggestions, let me know!) lol

My main concern, as far as area goes- and aside from schools- is that the area is as friendly as I am... I'll talk to nearly anyone who acts even halfway interested. It USED to be really friendly and social around here, but I've noticed that the more newcomers come, the friendliness seems to go down as well. I LOVE having unexpected company pop in for coffee, or just drop in because they are bored and want to look at someone else's walls for awhile...I'd like a neighbor who loves to garden and can teach me the plants that do well up there (ie: will my roses still be happy, bet they won't still be blooming in October! )

I'm really looking for an overall 'feel' of community and togetherness. The type of community that will help you if you need it, and that we want to help if THEY need it...

Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Some of what you seek depends on who your neighbors are. Some folks love to visit and to have visitors some don't. I consider myself friendly but it would drive me nutz to have unexpected visits for coffee, from other than very dear friends. Now gardening.....I can talk and do talk flowers and tomatoes and compost and seeds...all day.

The type of instant friendliness you describe, is not a characteristic that I would associate with New Englanders. My experience has been that New Englanders understand and respect boundaries and those boundaries most definately are inside the front door.

That doesn't mean I have found new englanders unfriendly; I have not. I find them very neighborly and generous, but a neighborliness based on respect for boundaries and personal space.

Others might disagree, and perhaps in some of the subdivision communities there maybe the coffeeklatch type thing going on.....I don't know.....but I never experienced that or wanted it. But I do smile and speak to everyone I encounter, and if someone sees me working in the garden and wants to compare notes.....I love it and happily show them around and take any tips they offer and send them home with some vegetable or flower.

I would make a casserole or some brownies and welcome a new neighbor and offer to assist them in anyway I could. I would not say, why don't you come over tomorrow morning for coffee or invite myself into their home. Maybe that is me. My mom always said my Dad was the last puritan and represented another century--but it was a century from old time Maine.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:32 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
I'd met my next door neighbor twice before going to help her strip wallpaper. I think knowing that I'd be there to help with the messy work quickly made me a valued friend.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I'd met my next door neighbor twice before going to help her strip wallpaper. I think knowing that I'd be there to help with the messy work quickly made me a valued friend.
lol

makes me think of one of our new neighbors - had only spoken a couple of times when he discovered hubby has every tool known to man and was willing to help him fix his car! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine