Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 01:08 PM

21 posts, read 23,000 times

Advertisements

I had to go to town today,first time since last sundays crazy supermarket trip.Both grocery stores were very busy.Walgreens too.Had to stop across the street to gas up and asked the clerk hows business.She said the gas pumps had been very busy with a noticeable amount of Plates from away.
I didn't see any Fla/sno birds but did notice Most other newengland states rep'ed -N.H.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 03:43 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
As of 1:30 this afternoon there are 70 confirmed cases.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:01 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
As of 1:30 this afternoon there are 70 confirmed cases.
That's not nearly as scary as it could be. If cases were doubling every day, we would be close to 200. The curve is slowly flattening, it seems.

(Still NO verified cases in rural Maine...........hoping it stays that way. Even if we DO get a case or two, the "social distancing" this has really kicked in, so it will be easily contained. There will be no mushrooming numbers in rural Maine........The Portland area, unfortunately, is now in the position of trying to "put the genie back in the bottle", to a degree.)

Old 03-22-2020, 06:37 AM

217 posts, read 199,994 times
We are now down to one child in school, a sophomore. His school is shut down, like most others, from 3/16 through 3/27.

All that believe schools will reopen just after 3/27, raise your hands! I don’t think so either and I have been preparing our son for the good possibility that the closure may last indefinitely at this point. I feel sorry for all the seniors.

On the other hand, I see we can fish for free through April 30!

Old 03-22-2020, 08:32 AM

565 posts, read 935,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheCreek View Post
We are now down to one child in school, a sophomore. His school is shut down, like most others, from 3/16 through 3/27.

All that believe schools will reopen just after 3/27, raise your hands! I don’t think so either and I have been preparing our son for the good possibility that the closure may last indefinitely at this point. I feel sorry for all the seniors.

On the other hand, I see we can fish for free through April 30!

You must mean the senior citizens. I'm sure the kids are ecstatic, they are done going to physical school 3 months early. I think many parents that are not going to see their kids walk a normal graduation are feeling this the worst.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:03 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
(Still NO verified cases in rural Maine...........hoping it stays that way. Even if we DO get a case or two, the "social distancing" this has really kicked in, so it will be easily contained. There will be no mushrooming numbers in rural Maine........The Portland area, unfortunately, is now in the position of trying to "put the genie back in the bottle", to a degree.)
We'll see. Lots of snowbirds are back months early. Two of the three summer homes on my road are inhabited now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheCreek View Post

Bangor and a few others have already announced April 27 as their next potential opening day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
You must mean the senior citizens. I'm sure the kids are ecstatic, they are done going to physical school 3 months early. I think many parents that are not going to see their kids walk a normal graduation are feeling this the worst.
High school and college seniors. They're missing out on a lot of the senior experience. Proms and other gatherings might not happen. My nieces have been in tears.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:07 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
89 cases today, up from 70. Slow growth. Hopefully it levels out in the next week. If we really tighten the screws on everybody, then it will. (I hope that there is some social shaming going on in the Portland area. That is where 3/4 of the cases are, and it seems that some people there are just not “getting it”....what part of social distancing do they not understand??)

Old 03-23-2020, 06:14 AM

596 posts, read 818,970 times
I'll be interested to see the number of negative tests updated today, since those don't get refreshed over the weekend.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:44 PM

565 posts, read 935,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
I'll be interested to see the number of negative tests updated today, since those don't get refreshed over the weekend.

All test results are about a week behind in Maine currently. So everything we see today, is from a week ago. This is going to get worse before it gets better. Not worth panicking about, but to deny it's going to happen is borderline crazy.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:18 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
A Country Boy Can Survive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

My freezers are full, we have all the seeds we need for Spring planting,
Maple flow is nearly done, and my radiation treatments [for my cancer] are over.

If we all avoid going into town we will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine