Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,291 times

Advertisements

And don't forget that vile Maine soft drink - Moxie. Although no longer made in Maine many old timers still love it. I always thought it would be better if used as paint thinner. Dad made dandelion wine one year, don't know how it tasted because I wasn't allowed to try it. He added a fifth of vodka to it so I don't imagine it tasted very good. The tinly little Maine shrimp used to cost 18¢ a pound in the shell when we were kids. Dad would get 25 pounds and make us kids peel them - before cooking - so we didn't eat them all as we went along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 04:14 PM

653 posts, read 1,919,090 times
Default fresh sadine

are fresh sardines available in Maine?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
My Dad was a minister back in the days before they earned a professional salary and often part of the salary was in kind. I remember as a kid having 100's of cans of sardines....probably more.....we used them like building blocks. I don't know who or why but someone gave us more than a years supply. I think we were living in Canada at time. I would have rather had lobsters!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Before I moved to Maine I thought the tail was the only part that you ate.
that would be true for Florida lobsters.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Default fresh fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
are fresh sardines available in Maine?.
Ah, my dear partner would love fresh sardines and/or flying fish and/or blue fish and even a macarel. In Hannaford they have the usual salmon, trout, talapia, cat fish and haddock.....I am hoping that we can find a good fish market with more selection....any suggestions?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,942 times
We grew up beside an apple orchard. The owners let us have all of the drops we wanted. We had a LOT of home made apple pies, apple crisp and baked apples. Gee, I had not thought of baked apples in forever.
We also grew up having lots of chokecherry jelly.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 PM

Default fresh fish

when is used to live in Miami, i love to go to fishing tour boat dock , when the tourists back from fishing trip, any day cough are sell cheap, they can not take fish back to the hotel. I like whole fish, some time just get free fish heads and fish rolls(eggs).

Quote:
Ah, my dear partner would love fresh sardines and/or flying fish and/or blue fish and even a macarel. In Hannaford they have the usual salmon, trout, talapia, cat fish and haddock.....I am hoping that we can find a good fish market with more selection....any suggestions?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:36 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Quote:
e, how are you liking shopping for food there? I'm sure it's very different from shopping in CA!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM

307 posts, read 1,589,710 times
Default eastport

Quote:
My Dad was a minister back in the days before they earned a professional salary and often part of the salary was in kind. I remember as a kid having 100's of cans of sardines....probably more.....we used them like building blocks. I don't know who or why but someone gave us more than a years supply. I think we were living in Canada at time. I would have rather had lobsters!
My great grandfather worked in the sardine factory in Eastport. Lots of sardines and crackers eaten by my family. My dad has since turned my 7 yr old son onto them and they have quite the multi-generational treat now.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Harbor Fish off commercial street in Portland. Down by the Casco Bay Ferry Terminal. They have all sorts of stuff there.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
My great grandfather worked in the sardine factory in Eastport. Lots of sardines and crackers eaten by my family. My dad has since turned my 7 yr old son onto them and they have quite the multi-generational treat now.
When my Mom and Dad moved to Eastport; we went to a resturant in the old sardine canning factory "The Cannery"; turns out our very own Molly Smiles worked there as a young lass at about the same time. Small World.

A major benefactor of the town was the heir of the family that made their fortune because they owned the recipe for the mustard sauce used by the sardine factory. The family set up a fund for the support of the "worthy women" of Eastport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine