Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 10:46 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
New Brunswick plans to open border with Maine...

https://www.wabi.tv/2021/05/28/new-b...er-with-maine/
I can’t wait. I like the roads over there more so than here for my summer motorcycling adventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 01:45 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
New Brunswick plans to open border with Maine...

https://www.wabi.tv/2021/05/28/new-b...er-with-maine/
Important to note the brackets on their source for Maine that says (pending federal requirements). They'd like to group Maine in with domestic travelers (other Canadians) in their reopening, but they don't have jurisdiction over who gets to cross an international border, just like Maine doesn't have authority over its international border, the feds decide who crosses. That said, it seems pretty reasonable to talk about reopening the border a month from now, although it would be nice if it could accompany some increased vaccine exports, no way everyone in Canada who wants 2 doses is going to have one by July 1st which makes choices like this politically tricky for the federal government of Canada. I could see it being delayed a bit beyond July 1st, but probably not by more than a few weeks.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:37 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,065 times
https://www.newscentermaine.com/arti...a-67c1ec2437a7

It's just a news story so no need to remind that it is an international border. I think Maine officials and New Brunswick officials could make it happen for Maine and New Brunswick residents, but things always get more complicated when the federal levels of government are involved and people from other states and provinces want freedom to cross borders as well.... understandable but could begin with only New Brunswick and Maine residents.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:29 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
Land of Moosehead beer - not that garbage, Labatt - and scallops.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:17 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Land of Moosehead beer - not that garbage, Labatt - and scallops.
I do somewhat like Alpine. Not a fan of Moosehead. I drink Dos Equis XX in the states and can now get it there (or could in 2018, my last trip there). I have a hard time finding bourbon there.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:18 AM

23,598 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Alexander Keith's.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:37 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,125 times
My wife is from NB and she has family in NS (Halifax). She is from a small town about 30 miles east of Fredericton.

Our regular modus operandi is to fly into Bangor, rent our car for our usual 2 weeks, and drive. Rentals should be made prior to April if possible as well as any hotel reservations. Our usual rental for unlimited mileage is around a $1000-$1200 dollars so I consider that reasonable as we'll travel at least 1000 miles.

When planning a trip it might be worth considering a round of PEI. The only caveat is it's free to travel over on the Confederation Bridge but they charge you to go back to the mainland (about $40 US).

I really like the NB Atlantic coast but it helps to speak some French there. I wish I'd have had the gumption to travel via the Cat to NS. Too bad it's no longer in operation. I've visited none of that southwestern tip of NS. I'm much more familiar with NB.

I'll be glad when they open the border but I'm afraid it'll be with restrictions which I dread. Canada (the government) is very controlling of its people and there is an underlying current of anti-US sentiment. I've worked with dozens of Canadians over the years from BC to all the Maritimes.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:13 AM

401 posts, read 427,439 times
If you plan to travel to New Brunswick(NB) and Nova Scotia(NS) you should definitely visit Prince Edward Island (PEI) for at least 4-5 days. Why?? well it is very different in both geography and things to do. Many folks from NB & NS visit PEI just for the red sand beach’s vs rock beach’s they have. You also have the Anne of Green Gables if you or your kids have read the books and watched the movies about Anne. Oh my the food is amazing if you like lobster, muscles, oysters, fish and beef. This link will give you an overview of our experience visiting PEI from the USA since 1985.

https://www.fodors.com/community/can...d-pei-1664364/

Enjoy

Old 12-20-2021, 11:27 AM

441 posts, read 440,579 times
Quote:
When the Bluenose ran from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia and later the CAT, it was quite common to ferry over and drive back or vice versa. Of course this was pre pandemic. There was the option to take the ferry without a car. There are car rentals in Yarmouth for exploring however much of the area you wish to explore.

https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/overview/

https://downeasterpackages.com/how-t...otia-by-ferry/

What food is preferable has lots to do with an individual's taste buds.
After things settle if they ever do will the Blunose be running? I can remember staying in Bar Harbor and our hotel had a great view of the ferry and I can hear it's whistle blowing. This was at least 30 years ago.

I remember it being very foggy and only part of Acadia was open. Still very beautiful.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:58 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
After things settle if they ever do will the Blunose be running? I can remember staying in Bar Harbor and our hotel had a great view of the ferry and I can hear it's whistle blowing. This was at least 30 years ago.

I remember it being very foggy and only part of Acadia was open. Still very beautiful.
If you don't like Maine weather, wait a minute lol. The Bluenose is history. The replacement is the CAT and its future in Bar Harbor remains to be seen (pandemic, etc). Check out the web links in my previous post. One of the problems I have with having to have a reservation to go up Cadillac Mountain, is unless you are psychic, it will be difficult to choose a day and time (far enough in advance to actually get a reservation) when it isn't foggy or rainy. The view from the summit is the primary reason for going. Who wants to go up there in the fog or rain with low visibility. Additionally, I read on the reservation app that only one reservation is allowed for someone in a 7-day period. The reservation system doesn't work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine