Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 10:02 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,341 times

Advertisements

I have been to both Nova Scotia and New Brunswick (Saint John). Looking at the map the two areas are neighbors but distances can be deceiving. I am assuming that the border region is sparsely populated. Is there a lot of travel back and forth? In terms of logistics what is the travel like for costs, mileage, travel lodgings along the way, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 12:09 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
My last recollection is that there is modest back and forth travel but stops at the border can be quick or rather long. I can't wait to get back in to New Brunswick and my favorite lighthouse, East Quoddy.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:20 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
My last recollection is that there is modest back and forth travel but stops at the border can be quick or rather long. I can't wait to get back in to New Brunswick and my favorite lighthouse, East Quoddy.
You can't cross into Canada right now. Maybe after June 21st.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:34 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You can't cross into Canada right now. Maybe after June 21st.
Right, sadly. But hopefully soon. I can imagine the lack of tourism is hurting New Brunswick.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:23 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I have been to both Nova Scotia and New Brunswick (Saint John). Looking at the map the two areas are neighbors but distances can be deceiving. I am assuming that the border region is sparsely populated. Is there a lot of travel back and forth? In terms of logistics what is the travel like for costs, mileage, travel lodgings along the way, etc.?
Not exactly sure of the question... Is this just for touring across the US/Canada border? All depends on the exact locale. Plenty of motels where I-95 reaches the border and in any of the larger towns/small cities. Rates vary with the season.. tourist or not. Very inexpensive right now. Out of the larger towns, it is down to bed & breakfasts and places found on VRBO, AirBnB, etc.

Are you driving, OP?

Old 05-26-2021, 11:57 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Northern Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia are sparsely populated compared to places like Massachusetts, New York, Pennslyvania, etc.

New Brunswick only has 3 cities. I think Moncton is the biggest, but it is a very small city compared to other cities long the eastern seaboard.

Halifax is fairly big. Not huge. It's a nice city actually.

There is a lot of travel, especially along the coast --- or at least there used to be, before the pandemic. Lodgings and amenities are good along the major highways. Once you get away from the major highways, things become more sparse.

By the way, food is much better in Canada. I'm not sure why. Even at fast food places like McDonald's, the quality of the food is far superior. Lettuce, tomatoes, etc. all have actual flavor. And Tim Horton's is far better than Dunkin in all respects.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:19 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,896,542 times
When the Bluenose ran from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia and later the CAT, it was quite common to ferry over and drive back or vice versa. Of course this was pre pandemic. There was the option to take the ferry without a car. There are car rentals in Yarmouth for exploring however much of the area you wish to explore.

https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/overview/

https://downeasterpackages.com/how-t...otia-by-ferry/

What food is preferable has lots to do with an individual's taste buds.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:00 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Not exactly sure of the question... Is this just for touring across the US/Canada border? All depends on the exact locale. Plenty of motels where I-95 reaches the border and in any of the larger towns/small cities. Rates vary with the season.. tourist or not. Very inexpensive right now. Out of the larger towns, it is down to bed & breakfasts and places found on VRBO, AirBnB, etc.

Are you driving, OP?
I suppose so. My preference though would be boat, rail or bus. Maybe in the form of an organized tour.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:19 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,896,542 times
New Brunswick plans to open border with Maine...

https://www.wabi.tv/2021/05/28/new-b...er-with-maine/

Old 05-29-2021, 08:02 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,840 times
Quote:
I suppose so. My preference though would be boat, rail or bus. Maybe in the form of an organized tour.
OK, well I get some tour sites if I google 'nova scotia bus tours'. But I suspect the numbers of tours are limited compared to a place like Europe.

Any railroad tour would be very limited as to where it went; you'd miss the nice parts of the coast.

Call or write a couple of bus tours companies and see if they are running right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine