Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times

Advertisements

A tagging station is where one goes to tag their kill.

You will find out once you are up here, that almost everything is for sale. There is almost no store or restaurant owner that doesn't have a price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 02:20 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,942 times
I shop WM. I do find a lot at WM at prices I can afford. There are lots of things I can not buy locally or if I can, I can not afford them. I also can not afford to drive around town nor do I have the time to drive around town looking in small stores when I know I can get the same thing at WM. Maybe as some say this makes me politically incorrect. So be it. I know WM put a lot of local merchants in many towns and cities out of business. For that I am sorry for them. I know if people (including myself) had continued to shop locally it may have delayed or prevented some of them from going out of business. I have to save where I can. If this makes me some kind of bad person then it makes me some kind of bad person. When you are trying to make ends meet, and stretch every dollar you have, you do what you have to do. WM, KMart, whatever Mart there is, if it helps my family get a little further along then that is where we will shop. Put me on the "Going to hell in a handbasket list".

Old 05-26-2008, 07:15 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
I have $250 of Walmart gift cards from Christmas still sitting on my counter. I refuse to go there for anything because their quality sucks! Every item of clothing or shoes I have bought there did not last worth a crap and they were the name brands.

I live in a small town and we have three grocery stores, four convenient stores, sporting goods and specialty shops, drugstore, as well as two hardware stores and a lumber yard. These are all locally owned. To make matters worse, there is this humongous lake across the street from my door yard.

Keep your box stores. I'm passing along the gift cards this summer to some of my lucky customers. Now, if anyone wants to swap a couple of them for some Hannaford's cards...

Old 05-27-2008, 04:37 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Me too. I can't be put on the boat that girls like to shop. I rather sweep the kitchen then head to town to shop. I'm not joking on that either.

Tami~peachie
I'd rather take poison than shop. I hate malls, they make me cringe. I only go into certain stores when I need something specific and then I grab it and run for the register!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I'd rather take poison than shop. I hate malls, they make me cringe. I only go into certain stores when I need something specific and then I grab it and run for the register!
Now, I am a window browser... but I have to be on vacation, no pressure to buy kind of stroll. But when I need to buy something "something", then my body is all stressed out... I have a head ache and when sales people come up to me in those "mall like places" I'm like screamin' in my head, ohh please make it all go away.

But.. if I don't need anything ... I enjoy a good browse.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
WalMart no longer carries Dickies work clothes in forest green. These items were a Maine tradition for over 100 years. Guides and foresters wear them. I found a place on line in California that carries them. Does anybody know where you can find them in Maine? Mardens has them on rare occasions.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:24 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
What she said^^^

Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
WalMart no longer carries Dickies work clothes in forest green. These items were a Maine tradition for over 100 years. Guides and foresters wear them. I found a place on line in California that carries them. Does anybody know where you can find them in Maine? Mardens has them on rare occasions.
Not sure if they have Forest Green, but maybe worth a try as they claim that they can special order items:

Allen Uniform Sales - The Maine Place for Uniforms - South Portland, Maine

As to where I shop:

Clothes; Almost exclusively from thrift stores. Occasionally I will pick up something from Target, eBay or other mail order. However, my socks and chonies are pretty much all from Target; wearing someone else's used underwear creeps me out no matter how many times they have been washed.

Food; Pretty much Hannaford's with the occasional trip to Whole Foods. Now that the farmer's markets are going on I will buy produce from them more often then from Hannaford's. If there was a Trader Joe's in town, then they would probably get 99% of my grocery business.

Household items; Yard sales or Craigslist.

Beer; Generally comes from Maine brewers, but this is mostly due to the fact that the price discrepancy is not that much different and I try to buy as local as I can.

Auto parts/repair; The local repair shop down the street.

I have only purchased five items from Wal Mart in my life and I only bought those because I had exhausted my search for them elsewhere.

If I didn't have to drive all the way to the other side of New Hampshire then I would frequent Costco more often.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Quote:
hehe sounds like a football game. I guess it can be if the people are crowded around you to close.

Here's the play by the announcer...:

Mermaid got the toothpaste... she's headed down the isle, oh almost got hit by a cart. She's still heading down she's only 2 yards from the register to go, can she do it ohh almost cut in by another lady holding a bag of dog food, but .. it looks good ........ and she scores. Touch down for mermaid>"

Crowd goes wild.

Tami~peachie

Old 05-27-2008, 06:40 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
LOL That was cute,.... I do the WW thing once a month to stock up on paper goods, health and beauty stuff, and what not. I do not enjoy it! The rest I pick up locally. Our hardware store carries so many things, it's awesome and our IGA has most items we need to fill in from our once a month big trips to town. I try to hit both Shaw's and Hannaford's for the sale items and stock up on those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine