Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:43 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this in Maine, NH and maybe some other New England states. What are the job opportunities for Court Reporters in your state? In NJ, it's booming because the legal and medical fields are booming. Aside from actually working in a court or freelancing (typing depositions before any actual court date---by the way, how well do freelance court reporters do), there are a few different things a court reporter can do. You can work for television (broadcasting and close captioning....those words at the bottom of the screen for deaf people or when you have your tv muted, that's a court reporter).....so are these jobs money makers up there or is it just around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 10:57 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,240 times
I'm guessing there isnt a large demand for court reporters in Maine- your best bet is to stay in New Jersey

Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 AM

tkx7 is the only person who responded on this post!!! Are you people telling me that no one ever goes to court in Maine? No one ever gets in a car accident, slips and falls, has a mishap from a doctor...no one sues?? The hearing impaired in Maine don't watch TV (as far as broadcast typing)?!?! Doctors in Maine don't need people to transcribe medical documents?! I can't imagine any state in this country (not even Alaska) not needing a court reporter or having court cases. One of you has got to have better insight to this than telling me to stay in New Jersey. Anybody?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:51 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
OK You guilted me into it Yor best bet would be medical transcription of some sort. I know guy who freelances and makes a good livng

Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM

86 posts, read 484,296 times
I have heard the medical side of it is pretty good. I also know the court reporters have been going through changes in Portland. I don't know how the system works now. They had some that worked satalite...if that makes sense. I have no idea of turn around time. Portland has the district and federal courthouse. I can't imagine you would have a hard time finding work in that field. (Portland area anyway)

Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Thank you all for responding so far....I knew the field couldn't be "dead". The benefit to Court Reporting, as well as Medical Transcription, is that it can be done as freelance work. You can work for the courts, you can freelance through an agency (go out on depositions to doctors/lawyers offices or court if they need you) or freelance completely on your own (as in start your own business but do the same thing)...so I knew there had to be something there!!! The other benefit is the opportunity to travel if you are freelance. You can be nationally certified therefore you may live in one state and be able to travel to another to work (i.e. NY/NJ or Southern ME/NH). So that is why I was confused that no one thought there'd be an opportunity.

Keep any and all responses coming if you have info, thanks!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:50 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
How does one get certified as a court reporter or medical transcriptionist?

Old 01-10-2007, 01:03 PM

Well, you must go to school, obviously, for it. Once you graduate you can go for your certification. I believe you have to send a written request to the NCRA (National Court Reporter's Association) to request the exam. However, don't quote me because I believe you can be state certified and nationally certified. School doesn't start for a couple of more months (and I don't remember from when I left about 8 years ago) so I'll know more when I start, then I will post it. I do know there are certain qualifications though regarding what you must pass on the exam...such as, let's say you must type a Jury Charge at 225 wpm, a 4-voice (as in 4 people talking, i.e. 2 attorneys, witness, judge) 175 wpm, etc. These aren't necessarily what the speeds are, I'm just giving you an example.

I do not know the requirements for Medical Transcription, as I have never taken that course. I can find out though if you're interested. I do know it's less schooling, quite a bit less schooling, which can be a plus.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:42 AM

71 posts, read 421,745 times
Pixieshmoo:

Your "Jersey Jade" is showing. Law suits, slip and falls? You're living the the state that created those court cases!!!

All joking aside, I hope you do find the work in Maine you want, I've read your posts and know you want to move to Maine. There must be a need in the county seats for court reporters, especially in the more populated areas around Portland and such.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 26,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
How does one get certified as a court reporter or medical transcriptionist?
to be a certified medical transcriptionist, you need to have 2 years of actual medical transcription job then you can take the certification from American Association of Medical Transcriptionist or AAMT. But , first thing first, you must study, if you don't have knowledge on that field. I recommend studying at MTEC, Inc.. They can even train you to be an independent contractor for 1 1/2 years of study (but, it's all up to you..on how long you can finish)They have very good program because they carry these Sum Programs, and said they help you look for job after graduation, but you need to pass the employment exam. You look for Cathy or Susan at this number:1-877-864-3307. Other alternative, if you don't want to pay for Tier I Premier Program for about 3K....you might want considering buying at PHI. You can type thru the internet the word SUM program thru PHI then it will pop up then just buy the Independent study books from them for lesser investment. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: