Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2022, 04:15 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,957,259 times

Advertisements

Let me start by stating that I absolutely love your state. I recognize that I am from away, from Boston/NYC to boot; however, I'm someone who has been a respectful visitor, have close friends who grew up in Maine and still live there, and really believe in preserving everything good about the place.

Earlier this year, I brought a single-family house in Camden. It's a beautiful property that comes with acreage and access to the water. I have been so busy that I have not had the chance to draw up plans for the renovation. After renovating, I would like to stay at the house during various parts of the year (definitely in the summer) and get back to nature/beautiful Penobscot Bay. The goal would be to fully renovate the property while retaining its charming elements (crown molding, stained glass, original hardwoods, etc.). I'd also like to repave the long driveway, improve the grounds and build a three-car garage (for car storage in the winter).

After speaking with friends, I have been warned that many contractors and tradespeople seem to have higher rates for out-of-towners, particularly for communities like Camden. I am concerned about that. Keeping these items in mind, I have a few questions for the good folks of this forum:

1. How can I locate good contractors/tradespeople who do quality work without charging an arm and a leg? I'd appreciate any good folks you know or recommendations for finding the right folks to ask for referrals.

2. The house has oil heat. Maritime has been keeping the tank full, and the heat is on. I know that is no natural gas pipeline to Camden as plans were shelved (https://knox.villagesoup.com/2021/03...coast-1884575/). Is oil heat and propane the only available options at this time? Is propane better than oil?

3. Keeping the last storm in mind, I'm also considering getting a generator as part of the renovation. Is this a good investment or not necessary, as power outages are not that frequent?

4. For construction materials and furniture shopping, it looks like most items are available between Rockport and Belfast. Is there anything that's not available that I need to plan on bringing up or having delivered? For example, I have spoken with Ethan Allen in Portland, and they have confirmed that they provide delivery up to Camden.

5. Due to my work, staying connected via the internet is an absolute must. I always opt for the fastest internet connection available. It looks like Spectrum and Lincolnville Telephone might offer the fastest speeds (1 Gbps). Does anyone have any experience (good/bad) with either or both?

6. Are snow tires a must? I have a Jeep Wrangler that I would be driving around in when visiting in the winter.

I know I have some rather detailed questions and don't expect you to have answers for all of them, however, I appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 07:35 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,065 times
A recent WABI TV poll found that 66% of respondents have generators. Heat pumps have become increasingly popular. Merrill's Furniture in Ellsworth offers free state-wide delivery. Weight of the vehicle factors in to how it will perform in the snow. Some will tell you snow tires or studded snow tires are a must. Finding a contractor who doesn't have a long waiting list could be challenging. That's my 2 cents worth for now.

Old 01-01-2023, 04:43 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,957,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
A recent WABI TV poll found that 66% of respondents have generators. Heat pumps have become increasingly popular. Merrill's Furniture in Ellsworth offers free state-wide delivery. Weight of the vehicle factors in to how it will perform in the snow. Some will tell you snow tires or studded snow tires are a must. Finding a contractor who doesn't have a long waiting list could be challenging. That's my 2 cents worth for now.
+1 from me.

Thank you so much for the insights regarding my many questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine