Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 04:10 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times

Advertisements

You know Star, I've seen a lot of sh*t in my life. Let's see it!

When you look at the tracks closely look to see if the feet are cloven (moose) or round (horse) at the toes. It's the easiest way to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
You know you live in Maine when....

you go to your best friend's house, even though he doesn't own it anymore because he's gone, and a horrible devil woman owns it.... but she has gone back to her dark cave halfway across the country... anyway, you go to this house, and you see certain things and think, hmmm, it's too bad that's there not being taken care of.... or used, and it used to be his, so you take it. And everyone who drives by knows *who* you are AND *what* you're doing, and they smile and wave

Not that I have ever done this mind you, especially not today, but in Maine, it could....
LOL... news flash our dear miss molly has been detained for what is thought to be attempted breaking and entering. It may just be a case of a peeping tom. Story at 11!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:05 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You know Star, I've seen a lot of sh*t in my life. Let's see it!

When you look at the tracks closely look to see if the feet are cloven (moose) or round (horse) at the toes. It's the easiest way to tell.
yes, he was looking, but that is why he figured they were running.. he coudn't tell from a standing height (he is TALL remember! LOL) and since it was first thing in the morning, his body had issues with the whole "get down closer" thing...

I'll send you the pic later this morning, after I get my brain going. Woke up to the sound of RUNNING WATER (panic...) but after I got out of bed I found that the tap running into the cat bowl in the bathroom had been left on and nothing was the matter (except possibly in K's brain, as he *swears* he turned it off. Now if those CATS can turn on round, only slightly knurled nobs, we will be talking...

Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM

you know you live in Maine when "mowing" and "warm gloves" go in the same sentence.

(or so K declared this morning, as he got dressed to go out and work on the back field. Of course he has nerves that lie and bad circulation and is just sitting and driving the riding mower... me, I am hauling the "straw" that I mowed by scythe by pickup loads to the growing compost pile and just came in to take off layers.. I'm down to short sleeved t-shirt again -- as long as I am moving!)

Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Darn it! Brad will be so disappointed!! He's had himself convinced that there would be much less mowing in Maine. Here, we mow 9 months out of the year at least. Everytime he comes in drenched in sweat after doing the yard, he comments on being anxious for less of this **** when we move!

Guess I can tell him there will be less sweating!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
We split the year between mowing and snowing. It shouldn't take long for him to work up a sweat after a heavy snow. It's something to look forward to! lol

Star, I'm down to shovel, jeans and a tank top. Heat wave! 44* out there now! Gees, just realized what time it is. No wonder I'm hungry.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Darn it! Brad will be so disappointed!! He's had himself convinced that there would be much less mowing in Maine. Here, we mow 9 months out of the year at least. Everytime he comes in drenched in sweat after doing the yard, he comments on being anxious for less of this **** when we move!

We've come to the realization that when the lawn has spent 2/3 of the year covered in snow, the other 1/3 of the year it will grow at an alarming rate. Watching the grass grow is an active sport here! We end up mowing 2x a week until this time of year. Then we back off to weekly and if there is no snow, every other week starting next month until it freezes solid.

You know your in Maine when....
..you SEE kids playing in neighborhoods after school and on weekends.
..Potatoes are sold on the side of the road and it's not 'weird'.
..you walk around your neighborhood and the only thing you smell is woodsmoke.
..people you don't know wave or toot as they drive by.
..neighborhood kids knock on your door and ask if your dog can come out and play.
..you leave pumpkins on your doorstep and not worry about them being stolen.
..Halloween decorations come out September 1st!
..Pee Wee Football is a big deal!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 PM

740 posts, read 1,882,499 times
You know your in Maine when your high school principal calls your mother to find out why you didn't wave back to him when he drove by. When you tell you mom that you were mad at him and she makes you call him and apologize. You know you are in Maine.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post

Well it depends... we have lived here since mid-August and are doing the FIRST mowing.

We are cutting everything at the highest setting on the mower, but I wanted to harvest the "straw" from the back field (2 acres of "whatever" growth) and my scything was going slower than I had hoped... it needs peening and now that I have a stump to put the peening *** on, I CAN do it, but we are racing winter... so we are cutting with the gas hog and I just finished stacking the stuff I cut by scythe (5 pickup loads worth... photos will follow on my blog later today.

Now I need to rake up the short cuttings that K is making -- both on the "lawn" area -- which IS shrinking -- and the back field.

When you have 4 acres, I guess even when you count only a tiny bit of it as "lawn" and let the rest grow, there will be mowing... at least until we get a decent stand of trees.

Yes, K is mowing around the existing baby trees... there will be a good bit, around them, that I will still need to scythe, and around the posts and bushes that the neighbor planted on the outside of their fence.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Child #2 just called from his first solo 4x4 experience.... needing a tow lol.... I called DH to tell him I had to come get the other Jeep from him, and then headed to the driveway.... before I could get in the van #2 called back to say "there's a guy here pulling me out. I got pictures though!" Now, I'm thankful I didn't have to go pull him out, but I'm also thankful that he managed to get stuck in a place where he had cell service AND someone was out hunting!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine