Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2023, 07:50 PM

12,508 posts, read 9,595,585 times

Advertisements

It took members of the Baxter State Park rangers, North Search and Rescue rangers, and the Maine National Guard to get six Maine hikers off Mt Katahdin alive. One young woman fell unconscious - not clear if that was dehydration or hypothermia that got her.

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/08/...our-operation/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 07:30 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It took members of the Baxter State Park rangers, North Search and Rescue rangers, and the Maine National Guard to get six Maine hikers off Mt Katahdin alive. One young woman fell unconscious - not clear if that was dehydration or hypothermia that got her.

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/08/...our-operation/
Yikes, probably both dehydration and hypothermia. It doesn't sound like they were prepared. That is a rough hike. Here Is a video of the Knife Edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGCQVCpEq2w

Old 08-31-2023, 09:04 PM

23,654 posts, read 18,773,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yikes, probably both dehydration and hypothermia. It doesn't sound like they were prepared. That is a rough hike. Here Is a video of the Knife Edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGCQVCpEq2w

I hike that mountain most every year, and am always baffled by how unprepared some are be it type of footwear, insufficient water, or just being out of shape. People already struggling before the real "climb" actually begins. Thankfully many of these folks have enough sense to turn around before it gets to that point, but are always those few who don't have sense. Katahdin is the REAL deal, and by no means a beginner's mountain. Yet you swear with some of these folk, it's the first mountain they attempted in years and years. I just wish people would respect it more, even the more seasoned of us typically start the season out with a "warm up" mountain and maybe a few more. But every year it seems to get worse. I know NH fines people for mountain rescues as a result of hiker negligence, perhaps ME should consider the same (or have they and I missed it?). This kind of stuff not only puts the rangers (as well as co-hikers) in danger, but also ties up scarce resources that could always be needed elsewhere.

Of course we don't know the full situation in this case, but leaving the summit at 5:30pm and heading across the Knife Edge was clearly a reckless decision. Hopefully this girl is OK, but maybe at least a few others will take something away from this.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:33 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,705,852 times
The youth of today think everything is a joke. No accountability. The dumbing down of a generation.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:57 AM

23,654 posts, read 18,773,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
The youth of today think everything is a joke. No accountability. The dumbing down of a generation.

Youtube makes everybody an "expert" on everything.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:06 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I hike that mountain most every year, and am always baffled by how unprepared some are be it type of footwear, insufficient water, or just being out of shape. People already struggling before the real "climb" actually begins. Thankfully many of these folks have enough sense to turn around before it gets to that point, but are always those few who don't have sense. Katahdin is the REAL deal, and by no means a beginner's mountain. Yet you swear with some of these folk, it's the first mountain they attempted in years and years. I just wish people would respect it more, even the more seasoned of us typically start the season out with a "warm up" mountain and maybe a few more. But every year it seems to get worse. I know NH fines people for mountain rescues as a result of hiker negligence, perhaps ME should consider the same (or have they and I missed it?). This kind of stuff not only puts the rangers (as well as co-hikers) in danger, but also ties up scarce resources that could always be needed elsewhere.

Of course we don't know the full situation in this case, but leaving the summit at 5:30pm and heading across the Knife Edge was clearly a reckless decision. Hopefully this girl is OK, but maybe at least a few others will take something away from this.
Yeah, the 5:30pm part is what got me too. Though I guess maybe they didn't have much choice. They were heading back to the Roaring Brook Trailhead. The Knife Edge would be the most direct route back to the trailhead.

On the subject of having the good sense to turn around, I was just watching this YouTuber finishing her Appalachian Trail thru hike. They had to turn around half way up Mt. Katahdin when they got hit with 40 mph wind driven freezing rain. She nailed the summit the next day in much better weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFrbzsIP9r0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCZG-42u_N4

Old 09-01-2023, 06:37 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,430,024 times
They should pay all expenses of the extrication if it is determined they were reckless by their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine