Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

One more comment about the Cold Maine winters ... Between Maine and Puget Sound I lived in Minnesota. Wanna talk Cold? My late wife was, and current wife is, from the Iron Range up there near the coldest spot in the continental 48. Maine is a sweet winter, if you are the type to enjoy winter at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:05 AM

35 posts, read 133,362 times
Check out Brunswick. Roughly the size you are looking for, very close to the water, fairly progressive (college town), good restaurants. Not sure about home prices, but 250 K should get you something decent, nowhere near the water though. Topsham, the neighboring town is also okay, lots of shopping, a bit cheaper than Brunswick, I think.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 PM

43 posts, read 242,454 times
Thanks everyone for the detailed replies. Lots here to think about and a few towns to Google. I really appreciate the feedback. And Nullgeo, I couldn't agree with you more. The grey is worse than a freezing cold day with sun. You're not likely to do much outdoors when it's 38º windy and gray, so what does it matter that it's 20º? As long as that yellow ball in the sky comes out now and then I think I could cope.

We're hesitant to move all the way across country, but we really want a good sailing spot with interesting waterways. We're done with California and you can't get the sun in the Pacific Northwest. And the prices have gone crazy here on the Sound.

Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Deerisle is absolutely correct on the sailing aspects of mid coast Maine. Penobscot Bay is sort of the sailing Mecca for day trippers. Lots of islands to gunk hole around. The good sailing areas seem to go from Portland all the way east to around Roques Island just past Jonesport. I was recently told that Passamaquoddy Bay was alot of fun for sailing. just don't fight the tides.
The 'culture' aspect and the price range of houses are another ineresting problem. The Ellsworth area is about the last place heading east that there is some Culture'(excluding Machais, no sailing there) MDI is very expensive.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:22 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
.... The Ellsworth area is about the last place heading east that there is some Culture'(excluding Machais, no sailing there) MDI is very expensive.
This was a topic at our lunch today so it's very interesting that you should bring up the "culture" available in Washington County. Your statement couldn't be further from the truth IMHO....however, if you exclude the local artisans, the museums (including Native), the Cobscook Learning Center, the Children's Chorus, the local community theaters, the dance classes and visiting performers, the old movies shown locally, all our old historical buildings and architecture, not to mention the history of the area--including Eastport's possession by the British and true pirate tales, as well as our own St. Croix Settlement.....well, maybe. We DON'T have opera. Culture is EVERYWHERE....a point NOT to be missed. It's interesting too, how much of the culture in Maine is free....but if you're not aware you'll never find it.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
This was a topic at our lunch today so it's very interesting that you should bring up the "culture" available in Washington County. Your statement couldn't be further from the truth IMHO....however, if you exclude the local artisans, the museums (including Native), the Cobscook Learning Center, the Children's Chorus, the local community theaters, the dance classes and visiting performers, the old movies shown locally, all our old historical buildings and architecture, not to mention the history of the area--including Eastport's possession by the British and true pirate tales, as well as our own St. Croix Settlement.....well, maybe. We DON'T have opera. Culture is EVERYWHERE....a point NOT to be missed. It's interesting too, how much of the culture in Maine is free....but if you're not aware you'll never find it.
If you live in a cave ...culture is a log cabin. It's all relativity...Einstein wrote a lot about it.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM

This particular point has come up numerous times in the Maine forum. Others have remarked about the lack of "culture" in rural Maine. I don't think it's relative, I think it's pure ignorance.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
This particular point has come up numerous times in the Maine forum. Others have remarked about the lack of "culture" in rural Maine. I don't think it's relative, I think it's pure ignorance.
Those who cannot find culture in the simplistic beauty or history of an area are generally not satisfied with anything beyond the city limits anyway. Their comments and beliefs show their shallow depth of thought and just how out of touch they are. They can't relate so don't expect them to understand.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
Quote:
every part of maine has culture its just diffrent from others.
if you are talking dressing up in a tux and going to show or a play then thats not mine.now if your talking about a bunch of cpl geting to gether and going to out back for suppah then im in.
culture is all in how a person views it.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
.... They can't relate so don't expect them to understand.

exactly....I'm glad that you and Ranger know what I'm saying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine