Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,103,899 times

Advertisements

Eastport 4th of July (http://www.eastport4th.com/2008_schedule.htm - broken link)

This is where I'll be most of the week....the day of the 4th is especially busy. We start early in the morning, and by the time we leave the dance at the end of the day it's the 5th! I LOVE the 4th of July in Eastport. When I lived away I was always homesick if I couldn't get home...other communities just don't do as much, even when they're so much larger. For me the 4th is about doing all the fun stuff, but it's also about seeing everyone who comes "home". Growing up I thought everyone's class reunions fell during the 4th, and I thought that every place *must* do five days of celebrating! I'm always happily tired at the end, and all ready planning the next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:22 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
It's a long weekend enjoying the work at the camp and fending off requests from the in laws to make an appearance in Eastport.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,411 times
With 10,000 people showing up in Eastport, I would imagine you would have to be persuaded to make it there. I on the other hand would love to see what Eastport looks like with 10K people there, at least for one day, no more.

I read a quote about Mainers once by a Maineah. He said, "it's not that people in Maine don't like people, we just don't like it when all the people are trying to do the same thing, all at the same time." I can agree with his logic on that one.....Too many people all trying to have too much fun, all at the same time and in the same place.

I do look forward to it. A resident Eastporter told me, after three years worth of July 4th festivities, I would look forward to July 5th even more than the 4th. I know this is year one, so I should be up for some great fun!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:51 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Have fun in Eastport. I'll hear some of the boom of the fireworks while at the camp.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,777 times
The morning of the 4th we will go to the pancake breakfast on the lawn of the town hall put on by the VFW. After we'll go down to our friends house on the lake for a little swiming/fishing/rowing. We will end our day in the next town over where they have a Chicken BBQ and fireworks.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
I'm a veteran and they asked me to give a talk. I found a kid who could play the flute and near the end of the festivities he played Yankee Doodle. As he got into the song he pointed to the tree line. I emerged from the trees wearing a tricornered hat, pullover muslin blouse, pantaloons and carrying a muzzle loader. I took to the podium and explained about the men at Lexington and Concord and about Dawes ride. His name didn't fit as well as Paul Revere's for Longfellow to immortalize. I told them about how resisting British tyranny was the right thing to do.

I told them about how Joshua Chamberlain and the Twentieth Maine held the line on the left flank at Gettysburg and saved our nation because it was the right thing to do. I named local names. I fired the muzzle loader and the whole audience jumped.

I told them about the Yankee Division in WW1 and WWII and how they stormed the beaches at Normandy because it was the right thing to do. I named local names. Then I took off the muslin shirt and pantaloons to show that I was wearing an olive colored one piece flight suit. I put on my old flight helmet. I told about how the pilots and soldiers fought in Korea and Vietnam. I named local names. I told them that every single helicopter pilot and crewman who fought in Vietnam was a volunteer because it was the right thing to do.

Then I took off the flight suit. Underneath I had on a work shirt and dungarees. I put on a ball cap and looked like anybody in the crowd. I told them we still had courageous patriots right here in Maine fighting for our rights and our homes against those who would take away those rights and drive us all out of Northern Maine. I told them that today's patriots were fighting for us right here in Maine because it was the right thing to do.

There was a very long pause. Maybe they were afraid I would take more clothes off. Maybe they were just stunned. I'm kind of a quiet guy. Maybe they thought I was going to fire the hand gun I was wearing because after all, carrying it is the right thing to do, but I didn't have any blanks. Then they started to clap and cheer and we all went off to eat. It was a pretty good Fourth of July.

That's what it means to me.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 06-26-2008 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Brain Cramp. It's the twentieth Maine.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:59 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I'm a veteran and they asked me to give a talk. I found a kid who could play the flute and near the end of the festivities he played Yankee Doodle. As he got into the song he pointed to the tree line. I emerged from the trees wearing a tricornered hat, pullover muslin blouse, pantaloons and carrying a muzzle loader. I took to the podium and explained about the men at Lexington and Concord and about Dawes ride. His name didn't fit as well as Paul Revere's for Longfellow to immortalize. I told them about how resisting British tyranny was the right thing to do.

I told them about how Joshua Chamberlain and the Seventh Maine held the line on the left flank at Gettysburg and saved our nation because it was the right thing to do. I named local names. I fired the muzzle loader and the whole audience jumped.

I told them about the Yankee Division in WW1 and WWII and how they stormed the beaches at Normandy because it was the right thing to do. I named local names. Then I took off the muslin shirt and pantaloons to show that I was wearing an olive colored one piece flight suit. I put on my old flight helmet. I told about how the pilots and soldiers fought in Korea and Vietnam. I named local names. I told them that every single helicopter pilot and crewman who fought in Vietnam was a volunteer because it was the right thing to do.

Then I took off the flight suit. Underneath I had on a work shirt and dungarees. I put on a ball cap and looked like anybody in the crowd. I told them we still had courageous patriots right here in Maine fighting for our rights and our homes against those who would take away those rights and drive us all out of Northern Maine. I told them that today's patriots were fighting for us right here in Maine because it was the right thing to do.

There was a very long pause. Maybe they were afraid I would take more clothes off. Maybe they were just stunned. I'm kind of a quiet guy. Maybe they thought I was going to fire the hand gun I was wearing because after all, carrying it is the right thing to do, but I didn't have any blanks. Then they started to clap and cheer and we all went off to eat. It was a pretty good Fourth of July.

That's what it means to me.
Consider this a rep, NMLM!

The true spirit of the epic battle between Cap. Parker and Gen. Gage must be reinforced to our youth. Well done!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
It as the Twentieth Maine led by Joshua Chamberlain! Your efforts however are well taken. Thank you NMLM

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
NMLM stole everybody's thunder! Great post!

By comparison, our plans sound pretty lame...the 4th is when the DW and I have our annual Rhode Island clam bake, described in another recent thread. Most everybody we know comes, although it did start out as a family event, and remains so. It's my favorite warm-weather holiday; I prefer Thanksgiving over Christmas for the cold-weather holiday. Too bad Christmas has become so commercialized... Thanksgiving is still a quiet family holiday for us.

But the clam bake beckons next week, and we are already getting set up for it! Fireworks are iffy - usually the town/state here does not do the display on the 4th. They'll do them the day before, the day after, and have a 'rain date' in addition to that. More tradition down the drain!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:55 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,204 times
Family, great friends, lots of grilling/ drinking/ eating/ pig roasting/ drinking/ and MARCHING in our own little parade. Flags a waving, pick up beds loaded with the little toddlers too young to walk the mile down the hill. Bicycles, unicycles, misc instruments not always in harmony, including the kazoo band. Costumes and drinking.

The boat parade is later on next month.Talk about fun.....

All this on the BIG ROCK in Penobscot Bay! We ROCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine