Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 PM

346 posts, read 786,440 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an idea on how long it takes to get a carry permit in Maine? I applied on May 19th, and haven't heard anything yet.

I read some old posts on the web and some people claim to have received it in as little as 45 days, others closer to three months.

Thanks in advance,
CS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:48 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
30 days.(unless they changed the law in the last few years) State law says they have to let you know within 30 days. Call them and lean on them. Many of these Chief's of Police like to drag their feet on the permit thing. It gives them a feeling of power over us pleebes I guess. It's your RIGHT so don't take any crap from them. The first time I applied I called on the 30th business day and got some lame excuse from the dispatcher who told me it wasn't done. I said fine and asked 'what is your name?" because I'm calling a lawyer tomorrow if it isn't ready. She called me back ten minutes later and said it was done.
It's their little power trip.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM

34 posts, read 109,015 times
What Town are you applying in?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
The time frame you are looking for is laid out on page 14 of the CCW booklet issued from the State. It reads:
Quote:
12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30
days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or
denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or
deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the
application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years and within 60 days of the
application date in the case of a nonresident or in the case of a resident of less than 5
years. If the issuing authority does not issue or deny a request for a permit renewal within
the time limits specified in this subsection, the validity of the expired permit is extended
until the issuing authority issues or denies the renewal.
The online PDf version of the booklet is found here: http://mainegov-images.informe.org/dps/msp/licenses/CFP%20Booklet.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The time frame you are looking for is laid out on page 14 of the CCW booklet issued from the State. It reads:

The online PDf version of the booklet is found here: http://mainegov-images.informe.org/dps/msp/licenses/CFP%20Booklet.pdf (broken link)
Thanks Bydand, That clears it up! Either way it looks like ClownShoes deserves an answer NOW! After the original application delay I have never had any trouble with renewals. They only take a few days at the most. The last time I renewed my permit it was done an hour after I dropped off the application!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 PM

346 posts, read 786,440 times
My property is in Prentiss, BUT I'm a non resident from New Jersey.

Outstanding intel, thanks everyone~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: