Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,821 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband, baby and I are planning on moving to Maine, possibly this fall.
My husband is going to try and get a job with the Lewiston fire dept. and I am looking for work as a writer for the area papers.
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on locating or on working for the Lewiston fire dept.?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,803 times
I'm not from Maine, but am a firefighter (reserve, i.e. volunteer) here in Colorado. Luckily I have a job that pays my bills, so fire/EMS is just a cool way to contribute something back to the community and make a difference here and there.

Is your husband going for a paid fire job, or a volunteer? I will say that becoming a career firefighter is ultra-competitive. He may not have a chance until he's put his time in with Lewiston or nearby departments as a volunteer. In Colorado it's not unusual to have thousands of applicants for a single paid job starting at about $35k/year. Not having as large a tax base to pull from in Maine makes me wonder what firefighters make out there. He might want to consider Portland Fire for better pay & more opportunity...just a thought.

Just curious on where you'd be moving from, and what is attracting you to Maine? Have you explored all of the economic implications? That's important, now more than ever...

Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
DH has been told by several departments in Maine, including the state offices, that they are understaffed and he will be working as soon as we arrive. He is dual certified in Fire and EMS. The pay is very comparable to what he's making now.

We've also been told that the private services pay better and offer more benefits. That's pretty typical most places, I think. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 PM

106 posts, read 454,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatersmom View Post
Hello,
My husband is going to try and get a job with the Lewiston fire dept. and I am looking for work as a writer for the area papers.
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on locating or on working for the Lewiston fire dept.?
Thank you
On your side of it....the newspaper industry around here is in rather bad shape. Lots of papers have been in a huge layoff mode lately. I dont believe any have ceased publication, except for some in the midcoast area due to a buyout. But I do know the Portland Press Herald has been laying off lots of people lately and shifting their reporters around. There are lots of smaller publications around but I doubt they pay much if anything to their contributors.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:45 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatersmom View Post
Hello,
Thank you
Do a LOT more research into the State of Maine, the population, and the job opportunity in the newspaper publishing business before you assume that you will even get to sniff at a job writing for ANY newspaper in Maine.

If you are aiming for the Lewiston area, you are at least looking at the upper edge of where the majority of Maine's population lives. But you need to remember that in the whole state there are only 1.2 million people, and I'll bet that where you are living now has far more people than that in a smaller area.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Be wary of any offer of employment as soon as you arrive.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 PM

106 posts, read 454,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Be wary of any offer of employment as soon as you arrive.
Can you explain what this means?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:23 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Get it in writing! The hardest thing to do in Maine is getting a job before you have your boots on the ground.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,821 times
Hello again.

We want to move to maine because we have always loved it. My family is originally from there and I have spent many summers and some winters there and always hated leaving.

We currently live in Mass and I have watched it deteriorate.
Yesterday I found syringes in the street in front of my house, used for goodness knows what and I have also seen so much drugs, crime and prostitution just on my street alone...I don't want my daughter growing up around that.
I just hope that my husband gets the firefighter job...

Old 07-17-2008, 11:23 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
There was an advertisement in the BDN employment section not long ago, looking for a writer. I don't recall the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine