Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times

Advertisements

As I write this the furnace is being cleaned and tuned up. The burner guy said we should look into a new unit soon as that one is almost 20 years old and most likely filled with a ton of baked on lime from our hard water supply.

I'm off to Home Depot to pick up the replacement windows for the entire house at 5:00 PM. Seventeen of them. The insulation company is coming by to give me an estimate on blown in insulation for the attic. Our wood stove is due in sometime in mid August, and I'm in the process of searching for four more cords of seasoned firewood to be delivered sometime before winter.

It's costing us a pile of money this summer but most of this stuff is overdue.

Hopefully we will save some oil this winter and for all future winters!

How about you? Have you started tinnking about the Winter yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 PM

653 posts, read 1,919,090 times
we not in Maine yet, the way it goes i don't think the cabin will be up by 2008 winter.
we were in Ellsworth meet with the builder in June, now it almost August notthing happen yet.
it is to hot down here to think about winter, went out to work in the wood, ran back in the house after 1/2 hour try to figure out where to start clearing.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:55 PM

182 posts, read 490,963 times
I'm waiting for the phone to ring. I made a deal on a wood stove this morning and I've got the trailer hooked up ready to go get it!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:03 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
We'll have all but one of the old windows replaced before late fall. I've bartered fall and winter vegetables for labor. The woodstove was new two winters ago so we're ok with that. We put in a back up propane furnace so that I can travel in winter if I want. Heating with 100% wood keeps me close to home all winter. We put more insulation in the attic last winter. We'll put up five cords of wood even though we should only need five. I think we're in for a long winter again.

We're going to buy a snow blower and need to replace the control box for the plow before the snow flies.

The mice started coming in two weeks ago. Because of them I spent extra time making pickles. I had to rewash some things because of mouse poop. They shredded a new pot holder to use for a nest. A couple of the ash trees are getting to be bright green and some of the maples have a few red branches already. Of course, they aren't all starting to change but it's nice to see a few leaves here and there.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post

I'm off to Home Depot to pick up the replacement windows for the entire house at 5:00 PM. Seventeen of them. The insulation company is coming by to give me an estimate on blown in insulation for the attic. Our wood stove is due in sometime in mid August, and I'm in the process of searching for four more cords of seasoned firewood to be delivered sometime before winter.
Hey, are you close enough to Bangor for it to be practical for me to ask you what you are doing with the OLD windows? I always have tons of uses for them... have pickup truck, will travel <g>

Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Old windows = cold frames here later this summer!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:12 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Old windows = cold frames here later this summer!
And when I added the passive solar addition onto our old house in WI, I designed the whole thing around old storm windows and screens that a neighbor threw out...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Down here in Rhode Island (still part of cold New England!) we have been busy. In June I purchased a used (hardly) pellet stove from the next town over; young couple moving to the city. It isn't hooked up yet, but will be by October.

Also in the market for a vented propane heater, probably a Monitor. We cook with LP gas now, so we'll be needing a bigger bottle.

Although the snow can fly around Thanksgiving here, it doesn't last, being a wet heavy snow that melts quickly. I suspect that we will start out the season with our oil burner, and may supplement with it during cold spells, but for most of the winter, it'll be the pellet stove and the propane heater.

Windows and insulation were already done when we bought the place. Bring it ON!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:55 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Hey, are you close enough to Bangor for it to be practical for me to ask you what you are doing with the OLD windows? I always have tons of uses for them... have pickup truck, will travel <g>
I live in Freeport, Not too close to Bangor. I will have a pile of old windows soon though. 17 aluminum combinations and the inside top and bottom inside sash from those seventeen windows. You can have them if you want to come get them!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
oh ya iv been thinking about this winter since feb.so i have been ready since mar.all my wood is in the only thing i have to do now is winterize the tractor and my wifes car.might have a border this winter we dont no yet.the lady next door isnt no where near ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine