Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:42 PM

8 posts, read 24,980 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been reading your stories and got a wonderful glimpse into your lives. I got more and more curious about Eastport, Calais as well as the Midcoast. I hope you can answer some of my questions even if they seem old....
We ( my husband, son and I) are thinking about moving to Maine next summer. I am very intrigued by your lifestyle. It seems as though everything you do is done with a purpose. I miss the sense of community which you seem to have. Ever since I came to the US from Germany 7 years ago I've been looking and longing for 'real neighbors'. I haven't found them yet....
Anyway, I am really excited about the possibility of moving to Maine.
We would like to buy a house on the coast and Eastport seems right.
Our only concerns are the traffic in the winter, nearby doctors and the distance to grocery stores. Employment is not an issue for us.
Also, are there many young families in Eastport? Our son is one year old and we are in our late twenties and early thirties. We love the outdoors, especially the water. We love to have dinner and a cup of tea and great conversations. But we also need to get our shopping fix once in a while.
You all seem very happy and contend with your lifes. Do you think we can be just as successful?
Any info will help. I'd love to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:37 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimlilly View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been reading your stories and got a wonderful glimpse into your lives. I got more and more curious about Eastport, Calais as well as the Midcoast. I hope you can answer some of my questions even if they seem old....
We ( my husband, son and I) are thinking about moving to Maine next summer. I am very intrigued by your lifestyle. It seems as though everything you do is done with a purpose. I miss the sense of community which you seem to have. Ever since I came to the US from Germany 7 years ago I've been looking and longing for 'real neighbors'. I haven't found them yet....
Anyway, I am really excited about the possibility of moving to Maine.
We would like to buy a house on the coast and Eastport seems right.
Our only concerns are the traffic in the winter, nearby doctors and the distance to grocery stores. Employment is not an issue for us.
Also, are there many young families in Eastport? Our son is one year old and we are in our late twenties and early thirties. We love the outdoors, especially the water. We love to have dinner and a cup of tea and great conversations. But we also need to get our shopping fix once in a while.
You all seem very happy and contend with your lifes. Do you think we can be just as successful?
Any info will help. I'd love to hear from you.

Eastport is a nice, beautiful area. There are young families in the town... it hasn't become a retirement community.

The shopping fix will depend on what you might crave. I'll probably get hit for this, but Eastport has 'somewhat limited' shopping. The next bigger area is Calais which has more stores, shops and restaurants. Next beyond that are St. John, New Brunswick or Bangor. Both are within an hour and a half, to two hours from Eastport.

As always come and check out any area that you are interested in living in.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Maine is famous for its winters and Caribou is often the coldest place in the nation. Kids go to school every day. People go to work and life goes on. Rarely is anybody "snowed in". You should have a sensible vehicle such as a Subaru Forester and sensible tires. A 2 wheel drive pickup is just about helpless in the snow. If I ever get another car it will be a Forester.

I need a pickup to haul my farm tractor. I have looked at owning a used Forester, but by the time I pay for the vehicle, excise tax insurance and maintenance the fuel savings won't cover the difference. I get 16 to 18 MPG in the pickup and the Subaru Forester gets around 26 MPG.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 AM

Thanks for your replies.
I can very well handle winters since we used to have long winters in Germany. People went about their business, kids went to school, and the season was enjoyable. The reason for my question was because I've had some frustrating experiences with snow while living here. And when we decide to move to another state where it snows, I'd like to know that winters will be smooth sailing. Just one quick experience to share: We currently live in Flagstaff which is a ski resort. Just last winter we had a few feet of snow here which resulted in Highway closures, School closures, not to mention the condition of residential areas. By the time a snowplow came through our area the day was over. By the time the winter was over we could not see our mailbox nor the water meter because of the snowplow. Don't get me wrong, we're not afraid to get our hands dirty and to some good snow shoveling ourselves, but I think there has to be a coordinated plan by the city or county as well.
It is nice to know that Maine has a plan and is capable of executing it.
Thank you for that info.
And about the cars...I think my husband will be fine but I drive a little Mazda 3. Don't laugh now but would that work with some winter tires and chains?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:51 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Slimlilly - I'm sure 24 inches of snow at once would slow us down here in Maine too. Probably expect at least 2 days cancellation of schools while the roads are cleared and made drivable

Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
I love living here in Eastport - so many outside activities, such a pretty place. I don't mind traveling to Calais for bulk shopping, it's an easy drive. I like going to Machias, the Blueberry Festival was there this past weekend.

There are several posters on this forum that live in or around Eastport, they do so by choice not because they have to, but I do suggest that you come here and spend at least a week looking around, there are several places to stay here in Eastport.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:25 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Your Mazda will be fine. Eastport on the ocean gets less snow than we get further inland. With today's tires, chains are not necessary on public roads.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 AM

We plan to visit. I'd love to make it happen this fall, but I'm not sure we can. It'll probably have to be in the spring.
We'd like to stay a few weeks to really get a feeling for the area and be certain that this is where we want to be for years to come.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 PM

400 posts, read 794,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimlilly View Post
We plan to visit. I'd love to make it happen this fall, but I'm not sure we can. It'll probably have to be in the spring.
We'd like to stay a few weeks to really get a feeling for the area and be certain that this is where we want to be for years to come.
After hearing wonderful things about Eastport here and elsewhere for the better part of a year we took a one week vacation there in the middle of this past July. It was everything we had imagined and more. We put a deposit on a house and once our house here in PA sells we'll be moving up. Right now we feel like we're prisoners waiting for our sentence to end so that we can go home.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:22 PM

My husband has family in PA who also which to move. But they are sick of the snow and can't stand small town living anymore.
Probably can't convince them to move with us to Maine...

I wish you all the best. Hopefully your house sells fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine