Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,293 times

Advertisements

or other suggestions welcome.

Before I start I know that there are many, many factors that will make each area better for different people. However, I AM very interested in people's views of an area and why they think that to help build the bigger picture so to speak. Even those in a completely different situation may have something to share that would help us build that picture.

A little background...we are a married couple in our mid 30's with a 5yr old daughter. My wife is a USC and I'm British. We finally became fed up with the stupid cost of living, feeling of being cramped and pace of life in the UK so have moved back to the US. Maine is where we want to settle for many reasons not least of which we like the cold - even the very cold (we have experienced a good chunk of a Maine winter)

Ideally we want a smallish community and of course a great school. Yes, we know we'll need to intigrate ourselves into the community and fit in with them rather than making them fit in with us That's a plus for us.

Cheaper housing is great although probably more important is being able to work. I *can* work from home although will probably earn more in an office (I work in IT, mainly the Internet side of things) and my wife would want something admin/reception either full or part time (depending on if I'm working at home or not for school's out time etc). So...we need to be somewhere where there's enough employment to pay rent, bills and run a car or two.

We will be renting for at least 12 months, maybe a little longer but are intending to buy once we're back in the US long enough to settle the credit score properly (ie build one).

So suggestions would be great i.e. affordable housing, work available (happy to commute hence not wanting to be in a big town. Rather drive 30 miles into Portland than live in it for example), good schools and of course a warm welcome wouldn't go amiss.

We've been offered rentals in various locations including OOB and Readfield (obviously good for Portland and Augusta respectively) and would love people views on these areas and any others.

And yes - I know similar threads have been covered to death however everyone has slightly different cirumctsances and we'd be greatful on any opinions on ours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Check out Lincoln. It is relatively undiscovered and prices are still reasonable.

Welcome to Lincoln, Maine!

They have great schools and Lee Academy is in the next town over.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,293 times
Thanks for the reply. We thought about the Bangor area but for jobs sadly not ideal. There are a few IT jobs in bangor but probably not enough to find one easily should the need arise. A pity as we found many places in more Northern Maine that appealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine