Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:50 PM

744 posts, read 811,608 times

Advertisements

hi guys. i know this is kinda a vague question but i want to buy land in maine... id like to spend around 60,000 or less,cash. maybe more but i dont have much more money than that saved up.
so, im just curious if land price is falling in maine or if i should buy now.
i searched the forum and google and couldnt find anything.
also, what is a good area with relitivly cheap land? i dont really care about location too much.
just want decent land, as much as i can get for my moneys. id like at least 50-60 acres but i dont know if thats possible for my price range.
i appreciate any answer to my question/s. thanks.

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-19-2008 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
hi guys. i know this is kinda a vague question but i want to buy land in maine... id like to spend around 60,000 or less,cash. maybe more but i dont have much more money than that saved up.
so, im just curious if land price is falling in maine or if i should buy now.
i searched the forum and google and couldnt find anything.
also, what is a good area with relitivly cheap land? i dont really care about location too much.
just want decent land, as much as i can get for my moneys. id like at least 50-60 acres but i dont know if thats possible for my price range.
i appreciate any answer to my question/s. thanks.
I dont know if land prices are dropping really.

I see land at $300 / acre, how much should it drop? I was not aware that land prices had gone up. Some folks are always trying to drive the price of land up. But that is just greed.

I do think that land is a good thing to buy.

With $60k you can certainly find 50 acres of land in Maine, you can find 100 acres.

Just come up and look around.

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-19-2008 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: removed bad language

Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 PM

744 posts, read 811,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I dont know if land prices are dropping really.

I see land at $300 / acre, how much should it drop? I was not aware that land prices had gone up. Some folks are always trying to drive the price of land up. But that is just greed.

I do think that land is a good thing to buy.

With $60k you can certainly find 50 acres of land in Maine, you can find 100 acres.

Just come up and look around.
hi,thanks for the info.

ive looked on craigslist and cheapest i found was 2k/acre for propertys over 100k etc. on average like 5k+/acre. my friends dad bought like 100 acres in paris,maine which i think is somewhere in the south for 80k or something back like 8 years ago, and it seems to be alot more expensive there now. and home prices are falling most places since the 'house bubble' burst. so i just assumed/ was curious if land is over-inflated price in maine and now dropping like alot of property across the US.
anyway, i didnt know you could get land so cheap even in the north maine(300$/acre),and that is land with public road/access to grid etc?
if you could tell me, where , like what county can i find land that cheap or around it,aroostook.? i prefer not to buy quite that far up but it doesnt matter too much, i am from finland so i can take cold. i can probably answer most these questions with more research but if you/people here dont mind to answer it would really help.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:59 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
The arc of counties from Washington in the east, to and thru Piscataquis are probably going to have cheaper land. Aroostook will also have good deals.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
There is land for $300 an acre. It's probably swampy with poor access and far from power. It will also have been cut over and have no marketable wood on it.

On the other hand, there is good high ground with a view, open fields, nice woods with trails, a brook, on a public road with power and phone and high speed DSL available. That is more than $300 an acre. You can find very nice land for $500 an acre with all of the above features. You won't find a 10 acre lot like that for $5,000 though. The bigger the lot, the lower the price per acre.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
... i didnt know you could get land so cheap even in the north maine(300$/acre),and that is land with public road/access to grid etc?
if you could tell me, where , like what county can i find land that cheap or around it,aroostook.? i prefer not to buy quite that far up but it doesnt matter too much, i am from finland so i can take cold. i can probably answer most these questions with more research but if you/people here dont mind to answer it would really help.
My SIL bought 105 acres at $300/acre. flat a little wetland part to it, paved road / phone / phone / DSL.

You really need to drive around and look.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,340 times
Check the land for sale section of Uncle Henry's -- Uncle Henry's -- or the websites of real estate agencies in the area you're interested in. You can also find listings at the Maine Realtor website -- Maine Real Estate - Find Homes in Maine at REALTOR.com. If you have a specific town or towns in mind, call the town clerk in each one and ask for the names of people to talk to about raw land for sale or if there are any tax sales coming up for land. There's a list of Maine town clerks at Maine Town and City Clerk's Association.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Hey Sturmgeist, We have birches. ;-)

Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 PM

111 posts, read 331,133 times
hello....i read with interest the gentlemans post.....i just returned from 4 days in maine looking at waterfront ( river/stream/brook front) properties.....i started my researches over 8 months ago and have never seen $ 300/acre land.....if you search the mls listings and put in a maximun high amount you will never see land this cheap....water front or not....so where is this land ? how does one go about finding it ?....the real estate agents i have contacted just give mls listings to check out which i already did....the land i have been looking at ranges from 3.5 to 4.5 k per acre....ive read on here about talking to the locals....well how does one go about doing that....in saying that these folks cant be fools selling at $ 300/acre when there are thousands of land listings on the mls which does not reflect this price at all.....not even close....i did see some large parcel of land in northern maine in the $ 450/acre range on the net....thats about the cheapest i have seen.....i just dont get it....by the way maine is a truly beautiful place....went as far north as chester to burlington to belfast to new sharon & chesterville.....i was very
impressed by what i saw.......am going back in the fall to look again
thanks for listening
jim

Old 08-25-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim65970 View Post
hello....i read with interest the gentlemans post.....i just returned from 4 days in maine looking at waterfront ( river/stream/brook front) properties.....i started my researches over 8 months ago and have never seen $ 300/acre land.....if you search the mls listings and put in a maximun high amount you will never see land this cheap....water front or not....so where is this land ? how does one go about finding it ?....the real estate agents i have contacted just give mls listings to check out which i already did....the land i have been looking at ranges from 3.5 to 4.5 k per acre....ive read on here about talking to the locals....well how does one go about doing that....in saying that these folks cant be fools selling at $ 300/acre when there are thousands of land listings on the mls which does not reflect this price at all.....not even close....i did see some large parcel of land in northern maine in the $ 450/acre range on the net....thats about the cheapest i have seen.....i just dont get it....by the way maine is a truly beautiful place....went as far north as chester to burlington to belfast to new sharon & chesterville.....i was very impressed by what i saw .......am going back in the fall to look again thanks for listening jim
Some of the realtors will insist that all land transactions go through realtors. Other realtors exist who will speak more truthfully.

Anyone can pay the higher price of having their property listed on MLS, and a realtor on commission who may or may not know anything about the property. I have spoken with many realtors who had never stepped foot on the properties that they were listing.

You get what you pay for [in theory, maybe not in practice].

NMLM is a realtor. He is very knowledgeable and a good guy. I highly recommend NMLM.

However from my observations many transactions in Maine do not involve realtors.

When I was searching for land, I did much the same as you have done. I spoke with realtors and I searched the MLS.

I also spoke with folks in some of the towns as I drove through them. Many times in diners, folks who began telling me of locals who were dividing their land and offering land for sale 'by owner'.

And I saw signs with phone numbers to call.

I have already given you the name and phone number of the guy who I bought my land from. He is not a realtor, he is a forester. The last time that I spoke with him, he still had 4 pages of properties that he was offering.

He still has that place behind my SIL's land, that he is selling for $300/acre. It is not riverfrontage but it is treegrowth.

I paid a high price for my land. My place has river frontage and I paid $900/acre.

Good luck, and may God bless you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine