Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:21 AM

109 posts, read 198,858 times

Advertisements

You want to live in a big old farmhouse with lots of acreage? Better bring lots of money with you or be willing to spend a LOT of time cutting & splitting firewood.
Extreme north and eastern Maine are the only places you will find that combination for the easy dollar.

WE have the strip malls here, and car dealers on every corner.
Bath, Brunswick, Topsham, Lewiston, Auburn, Augusta, Bangor & north are all places that have seen massive building efforts in the past few years. More and more malls going up, more & more housing developments going up, land being posted that was open for hundreds of years....etc...

Maine cities have seen the young and the old move away.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-04-2008 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Please be mindful posts that are deliberately racist in content will be deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,803 times
A 1-acre building site here in Boulder County goes for around $250k these days.

Your buildout in Maine cannot match our buildout in Colorado...although I see your point...there is 'urbanization' everywhere to some degree. Maine offers a lot in the way of being able to escape it...but there is a price to be paid.

I'm pretty sure our next President & Congress will fix everything, though...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
You want to live in a big old farmhouse with lots of acreage? Better bring lots of money with you or be willing to spend a LOT of time cutting & splitting firewood.
Extreme north and eastern Maine are the only places you will find that combination for the easy dollar.
That is not entirely correct.

Quote:
... We are the highest taxed in the nation
Maine was once the highest 'tax burdened' state. It was never the highest taxed state.

Maine is no longer the highest tax-burdened state, and it was never the highest taxed state.

Some of us moved to Maine to enjoy the amazing low taxes in Maine.

May God bless you

Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Well i was upstate in the Albany region and it was very nice.There just is not an economy up there.Well that is what i am told over and over again.And it is still NY and the taxes are killer.I am on Long Island and hate it with a passion.I do not know anyone who lives up in Maine all year so i can't say i know about the taxes but the real estate websites i look at show them to be very low.For what i want the most i've seen is like $2000 a yr.I just bout a house here and my taxes are over 6000 for a small 2 bedroom 1.5 bath home on a 60x100 lot with my neighbors basically on top of me.I will look into that region though.Thank you for the input.Northern maine land man-I am so jealous!!
In contrast to Mainah's situation, I live southwest of Bangor. My 1800 sq. ft. house plus garage on 22 acres is taxed at just under $2000 before homestead exemption. Excise tax on my '94 Dodge Ram is (I think) something less than $100.

RE taxes vary considerably depending on location, you can't look at just one person's situation and apply it to the whole state.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Hey guys,i was just sitting here thinking,will Maine ever be built up?I,like many other people,are considering a move to Maine in a few years.I will be leaving behind an extremely overbuilt crazy city with hopes of never living in such a place ever again.I have always had this dream of buying a huge old farmhouse with many many acres for me and my animals.Living in a beautiful friendly place with natural beauty.Not packed with run down strip malls and car dealerships on every corner.Just take a look at North Carolina now.Everybody is flying there and prices are going way up.What are your opinions?Are there laws in Maine to protect the beautiful open spaces and small town feel?Hope to hear from you.
God, I do hope that Maine has zoning laws in place protecting its open space. If not, they should look to Portland, Oregon as an example. I do know of many people who are starting to visit Maine regularly and many mention moving there in the future.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
jjbradleynyc speaks as a true penthouse environmentalist; "God, I do hope that Maine has zoning laws in place protecting its open space."

You can ride for hundreds of miles here and never see a "no Trespassing" sign. In fact there are many signs that say,

"Welcome sports. If your land is not posted or gated, please use mine.
If your land is posted or gated, please use yours."

Maine is 95% privately owned. We welcome visitors. We welcome newcomers. We do not welcome people from NYC telling us how to manage our land or our families.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
God, I do hope that Maine has zoning laws in place protecting its open space. If not, they should look to Portland, Oregon as an example. I do know of many people who are starting to visit Maine regularly and many mention moving there in the future.
<warning - sarcasm alert - warning>

I can see that.

Maine needs more laws.

Maine needs more code enforcement officers too, we need more office workers and field people all on full time salary. Living off the tax rolls and telling us how to live.

Won't someone 'knowledgeable in environmental sciences' please come to Maine from away; so we can raise taxes, put you on salary, and let you tell us what we can do and where.

That is exactly what we need!

<warning - sarcasm alert - warning>
<this has been a test of the sarcasm alert system.>
<had it been sardonic you would have been given a pre-post alert>
<we now return you to your normal sarcasm free thread>

Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,843 times
MadJack-I've seen many many many homes for sale with a TON of acreage for very cheap and with low taxes.I am not from Maine though so a lot of these homes could very well be in remote areas.I guess i was trying to get an idea of what it would be like living there.The cost of living comparison..yada yada yada.I don't really fit in in this crazy city life.It's just so overbuilt that in a few years they'll have to start building up because there won't be any land left.Same stores every mile,overcrowded highways covered in trash and overgrown weeds.Maybe i won't feel at home in the country either.Worth a try though,you only live once.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
maybe madjack has spent too many years out in the high country (madjack was on grizzly adams)

Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
jjbradleynyc speaks as a true penthouse environmentalist; "God, I do hope that Maine has zoning laws in place protecting its open space."

You can ride for hundreds of miles here and never see a "no Trespassing" sign. In fact there are many signs that say,

"Welcome sports. If your land is not posted or gated, please use mine.
If your land is posted or gated, please use yours."

Maine is 95% privately owned. We welcome visitors. We welcome newcomers. We do not welcome people from NYC telling us how to manage our land or our families.
Land that is enjoyed today may not be around tomorrow. You can never take open green space for granted--no matter how "much" there appears to be.
All I'm saying is that some land should be set aside for preservation for FUTURE generations to enjoy and for wildlife to roam undisturbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine