Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:02 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times

Advertisements

Elston had this idea in another thread, and I thought we could run with the idea here.

So what are some of the versions of foods from other areas that you either have seen or would like to see with a Maine twist. I've seen some rather good versions of food from other areas of the country at little Mom and Pop restaurants around the state, I have also seen some real stinkers as well.

Talking about Lynn and Russ' future restaurant it was mentioned that everyplace has a "pulled Pork" sandwich, what isn't mentioned is that the are not good pulled pork sandwiches usually.

I've seen a seafood chili down along the coast, can't remember where though (want to say Rockland, but probably wrong), that was simply fantastic. The right amount of heat, and it was very different using fresh seafood instead of the usual beef for the meat. Sounded awful, tasted out of this world. Had a local take on BBQ up in Dickey once that was as close to west Texas as I have ever gotten outside of Texas. It was with Moose meat and the sauce was perfect for it.

So what are you thoughts? Your recipes you are willing to give up, or your recommendations for non-local regional dishes. It is all good here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM

175 posts, read 420,434 times
I almost started a thread similar to this yesterday. When I saw the Grits post, it made me curious as to things you eat in Maine that are different from where I come from. Like Fiddleheads?? Never heard of that. This should be informative.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Smelts are small fish from 3 to 5 inches long that spawn in brooks around the time of ice-out in the spring. You get them at night by dipping the net into the brook. Some nights you don't get any. Some nights you can get your limit in two dips of the net. It's cold and miserable, but the smelts are delicious.

There are several methods of preparing smelts. Many people don't clean them at all. They just roll the smelts in flour and deep fry them whole. Some people are fussier they use barber shears and with one swipe they clean out the entrails, leaving the head on. Others carefully clean the smelt, take the head off and rinse them in the sink. (Don't forget to freeze some for bait when salmon fishing a few weeks later.)

People use plain flour to coat smelts. Others use Bisquik. Some use a combination of 50/50 flour and corn meal seasoned with salt and pepper. You can shake the smelts in a bag with whatever mix you use. Just dump the smelts into your deep fryer basket and shake the excess coating off before you set the smelts in the deep fryer.

I was out one rainy night with my brother-in-law. It was about 2 AM and we had about five smelt between us. Suddenly the schools of smelt started running and there was shouting up and down the brook. I had my father-in-law's smelt net and was being careful not to snag it on a rock or root. Then I dipped a sucker about 16 inches long. I set the net down and grabbed the fish so as not to rip the net. I turned and threw that sucker as hard as I could up into the woods.

There was a man coming down to the brook. He didn't see that ice cold sucker coming at him at about 40 miles per hour in the dark and I got him square in the face with it. He set his bucket down and I thought, "I'm going to die right here."

The poor guy just said, "SOB, I'm going home."

That's smelting in Maine.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:31 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
Good homemade chowder, doesn't matter what variety should always start with some finely cut salt pork. Render the salt pork untill it's dark brown and crispy, remove all the bits and save for a garnish. Cook 1 large diced onion in the fat left from the salt pork till it's translucent. Heat the milk (and cream if you desire), add the potatoes. When the potatoes are done, lightly mash some of them with a fork to thicken the milk a bit. You can then add your fish, shellfish or corn. If you're using seafood, cut it into pieces about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches big and add it to the hot base, turn off the fire and let it cook till tender.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Default Mum's Lemon Squares

My mum made these at Christmas time. It's the only time I make them because I can't stay out of them.

Lemon Squares

3/4 c. butter (not margarine)
1 1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. confectionery sugar

3 eggs
3 tbs. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. lemon juice (Real Lemon is fine)

Mix butter, flour and confectionery sugar. Press into a 9 x 13" pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

In a bowl (what else would you use?) beat eggs, add sugar, flour, butter and lemon juice. Pour over hot crust. Bake again at 350° for 20 minutes. Let cool before cutting.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,013,215 times
NMLM sounds like a "California grunion run" in fact I think the grunion are a sorta salt water smelt that come up on the beaches at night to lay their eggs. It is unpredictable when they will "run" but there is a lot of excitment about when and where they are running. They are a delicacy here much like what you describe. (I personally havent participated--but hear a lot about em. There also are limits on how many you can take.

I loved your story about the flying fish!!!! lol

Old 12-06-2007, 08:38 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Very nice so far. I can totally relate to the sucker in the chops, NMLM! Fresh smelt are oh so good! We used to go out and one of the guys would bring his camp stove and we would cook up the first dip net of smelt in butter, right at the river bank. Kind of a tradition. Oh how I remember the zoo that takes place sometimes at the popular smelt run streams.

msina, There is noting like a fresh chowder on a chilly day. That sounds so good right now!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Good homemade chowder, doesn't matter what variety should always start with some finely cut salt pork. Render the salt pork untill it's dark brown and crispy, remove all the bits and save for a garnish. Cook 1 large diced onion in the fat left from the salt pork till it's translucent. Heat the milk (and cream if you desire), add the potatoes. When the potatoes are done, lightly mash some of them with a fork to thicken the milk a bit. You can then add your fish, shellfish or corn. If you're using seafood, cut it into pieces about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches big and add it to the hot base, turn off the fire and let it cook till tender.
msina deah:

Are you cooking your potatoes in the milk ????????or are theY pre-cooked and drained and added to the hot milk/cream. I start with the salt pork like you and the onion and then add the potatoes and cook them in the rendered salt pork fat for a while and then add a little water to cook the potato--and then if the truth be known use a can of condenced milk plus fresh milk or cream and add the sea food or corn. (Thats how my Dad did it) In my boyhood always served with buttered saltines that i loved to float on my chowder. (i know in maine you can get those big pilot crackers for chowder)

Old 12-06-2007, 08:44 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
I usually cook the taters in the milk, I'f I'm in a hurry, I'll cook them a bit in salted water, drain and then add them into the milk.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
Bydand when you said seafood chili I went "eewwww", but when I think about what really goes into chili I can see how that would be good. What did they use? I can see that made with a nice little bay scallop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine