Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 18,574 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, A few years ago I inherited a bit of money from my Mom and since my brother lives in Maine (Hollowell) I decided to invest in a piece of property there ( I live in California....be nice!). Anyway I was lucky enough to be able to get a piece on the water off Pidgeon Hill bay. My plans are to build a home when I retire in 6-8 years or so but I would like to figure out how much my property taxes would be if I were to build a small home with a nice workshop. I have tried to find out what the mil rate is in Milbridge but haven't been able to. Will call them if I don't get an answer here. Can anyone help me?
Any other bits of info about Milbridge would also be appreciated.
Take care, Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
Milbridge is a sleepy little coastal town with mostly median to low income residents. It has some exquisite old, Victorian sea captains' homes that date back to the heyday of marine commerce. I think many residents there commute either to Ellsworth or Machias for work and groceries. They have an awesome vintage movie theater and several restaurants, a few small gift shops. Lots of lobstermen!
My BIL owns a vacant house there. I remember that when he lived there as a contractor with a young family, his neighbors were very nice and supportive.
I don't know what the property rate is but I think of it as a better place to retire than make a living in--fairly spartan.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,097,500 times
I love Milbridge! It's beautiful and still relatively undiscovered.... so shhhh, don't tell anyone about it! Can't help you with the mil rate, but I think you've made a wonderful choice! It's also home to one of the best hidden/creative geocaches ever

Old 11-10-2008, 03:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,674 times
Here's a link to the Milbridge Area Merchants website: Milbridge Area Merchants Association: Home Page Included in the Local Information section is the phone number for the Milbridge Town Office. They would have the mil rate info you're seeking.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM

474 posts, read 1,416,841 times
Milbridge is my favorite Maine town! Sorry guys, but my dearest friend and her four daughters all live there. They have a wonderful historical society and museum. Wonderful little community. If I can just get some land there AND retire in a few years - Milbridge here I come! I've been doing volunteer work for the Milbridge Historical Society for the past 10 years. Did I mention that they have a wonderful community? Very nice people, no traffic to speak of BUT don't speed through Milbridge. The two officers there will not tolerate speeders! A must visit is the Milbridge Days the last week of July or the first week of August - every year. I'll shut up for now, but you've got a great town to have inherited some property. The area around Pigeon Hill is also beautiful.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,755 times
Default millbridge

One resturaunt one gas station. About 100 miles from anywhere else. It's not the end of the world but you can see it from there! Hope you like to eat lobsta. Taxes shouldn't be too bad except for the waterfront thing.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Hi, Thanks for the reply! It IS sleepy and will take quite a bit of getting slowed down to the pace but I'm sure I will after a while.
My only real worry is that I'm spoiled by mild winters here but not a place on earth doesn't have it's pros and cons. Hotter then (*&^ here in summer.
Thx again, Brian

Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 PM

That is SOOOO cool. I have always wanted to participate in a geocache event! Thx for the reply!
Brian

Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Wow Thanks for the link! Very useful. I tried getting into the historical society last visit but it was closed (for the season I thought I remember reading on the sign...maybe not)). Hope to catch it next summer when I visit my brother in Hollowell.
Thx much for the reply!
Brian

Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 PM

I could eat lobster for breakfast lunch and dinner with a lobster roll thrown in somewhere!
Yes, it is somewhat isolated and will take some getting used to but I think I will adapt well. The people are wonderful.
Thx for the reply, Brian

Last edited by brimcgin; 12-04-2008 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: mispell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine