Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2017, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

I have a three story american four square /craftsman with a detached 3 car garage with 3bdrm apartment above. It sits on a little over an acre adjoining a small golfcourse in Dexter, central Maine. I love the property and was planning to return this year to remodel and spend my retirement. My husband and I bought the house in 2000 and began the process of removing the 5 apartments it had been turned into by a previous out of state owner. Unfortunately my husband became ill and we left the state to get better medical care. He passed away five years later. I haven't spent much time at the property since he passed away and now the town code man is demanding that the house be torn down.

The timing is ironic for several reasons but, it all boils down to the fact that I don't want to live in an area where I will be fighting with petty bureaucrats over nothing, anytime they have nothing better to do which seems to be more often than not.

On the other hand, the area is incredibly beautiful, I'm a morning's drive from the atlantic, sugar loaf, augusta or bangor. The house sits next to the trail that goes downtown and to the lake. The house is solid and spacious. I doubt I would be able to find a property like this one anywhere in the county, at least for a million dollars or less.

So here I am, completely derailed from my plans and wondering what to do with this property. I have my plans for the remodel in hand and the cash on hand and a level of outrage that cannot be described.

Some thoughts that have occurred to me:

Find a proper bloodthirsty lawyer and see if the town can be rehabilitated. I like this one, but I haven't found a really bloodthirsty lawyer in the area and, in my experience, legal proceedings take quite a bit of time. I really wanted to get my life all in one place, this year. I have sold and/or rented almost all of my other properties and I don't want to spend the next 2 or 3 years sitting on a box waiting for trials and appeals to finish up.

I can turn the property back into apartments. This gives me two options, I can make it nice or I can put a cheap coat of paint and move in the worst possible renters, perhaps I can even find some recently released sexual predators who may want to take advantage of the recent recreational marijuana law. There is a certain satisfaction in this one. A corollary, for legal and tax purposes might be to donate the property to the worst possible group I can find, worldwide. My accountant would try to discourage me but it's a juicy possibility.

I can just move my things from the house and take it apart for the materials, which are substantial. I can take my blueprints, my hardwood and my clawfoot tub and build the same house at lake tahoe where people are nice and taxes are low. On it's face, it seems extravagant but the materials used in this house aren't available anywhere and even junk 1x3s get trucked in from somewhere far away. If I leave the area, I'll be taking my things either way so what is another load of lumber thrown on the truck. Removing the house would, I believe, reduce the town's tax revenue as well which is a nice plus.

I could try to sell the property. Based on a glance at Realtor.com, it doesn't seem like I'd get much, even if a buyer were found. Maybe a realtor on this list may have thoughts on the possibilities?

I could see if someone would want to tear the house down for the materials and just leave the carriage house for summers. Or I could rent the carriage house and just bring my rv up when I want to play. The rent from the carriage house should cover taxes and insurance and it only needs interior paint to get ready.

I really don't have a good option here but perhaps someone may have a better idea than I have come up with as I am really too angry to be creative right now. The entire situation doesn't make sense to me. I would appreciate any suggestions or referrals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 08:29 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,683,060 times
Sell it.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,861 times
Do you know any good realtors?

Old 05-13-2017, 09:11 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,683,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbear180 View Post
Do you know any good realtors?
I'm nowhere near Dexter. Start making calls and interviewing realtors.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:28 AM

19,974 posts, read 30,313,112 times
id call a couple realty companies and ask for a listing interview...have them look at the property and what would they list it for

then I would ask one of those realtors to recommend a local construction company and get a couple estimates,,,

one of minimal investment... for rentals,,
and one of raze and replace..

none of these estimates will cost you anything,,
and then you will minimize the unknowns and know what you are looking at

if you don't like this suggestion, hire a professional appraiser

Old 05-15-2017, 07:55 AM

164 posts, read 190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbear180 View Post

Find a proper bloodthirsty lawyer and see if the town can be rehabilitated. I like this one, but I haven't found a really bloodthirsty lawyer in the area and, in my experience, legal proceedings take quite a bit of time.

perhaps I can even find some recently released sexual predators who may want to take advantage of the recent recreational marijuana law. There is a certain satisfaction in this one. A corollary, for legal and tax purposes might be to donate the property to the worst possible group I can find, worldwide. My accountant would try to discourage me but it's a juicy possibility.

Removing the house would, I believe, reduce the town's tax revenue as well which is a nice plus.

I am really too angry to be creative right now.

You need a hug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine