Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Great analogy! Would have "repped" ya but, I need to spread it around first.
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 08:12 PM

6 posts, read 12,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
How sweet

I think I like you.

In which case you have my permission to move to Maine.

You conversationally quote Winnie?

My Dw has not read this thread yet, she will adore you. though actually she prefers Eyore.

Come out and look around.

Thank you Forest beekeeper

I am getting more excited everyday. I have read through so many of all your posts and really appreciate how much you are willing to help and share for those of us who want to move and live like that if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Hello GardenAngel!

I'm new to the Maine forum as well. Haven't moved to Maine yet in person (we're in Wash. DC/northern Virginia), but it has helped me to come on here as we prepare to transition when my husband retires from the military in 2 years.

My moving to Maine opinion is: Yes! And I agree with Mark S's comments.

In what part of northern California did you live? My mom grew up in the redwoods just south of Eureka. Her sister lives in the mountains between Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen, east of Redding. These areas are much different than the other regions of California.

Don't have suggestions for towns within commuting distance of Portland, but you will receive plenty of helpful information on here. I would recommend buying a very good map of Maine (The Gazetteer). Enjoy! (I love the Winnie the Pooh quote too.)
Hi Fern thanks for the welcome. I love this forum you all are so wonderful here.

We were from the Mountains about a hour from Santa Rosa or the Valley. Loved it there we were about 1 hour from skiing, the beach , wine country anything we wanted really. Love it and miss it . That is why we are so looking forward to moving to Maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You can't have it both ways.

Low taxes means few municipal services, and such is available in Maine.

Higher taxes means a high level of municipal services and folks sucking on the government trough.

Here in Penobscot county we get a sheriff driving through once a week, and a game warden once a week.

experto crede
We were use to something similar when we lived in the mountains of California. We were very active in the community and life but very little services.

Thanks again everyone my Dh just got back from there this weekend. A quick flight in and out and didn't get to see much but said he knew I would love the area.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:59 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenAngel View Post
Thank you Forest beekeeper

I am getting more excited everyday. I have read through so many of all your posts and really appreciate how much you are willing to help and share for those of us who want to move and live like that if possible.
Whatever I can do to be of assistance.

Quote:
We were use to something similar when we lived in the mountains of California. We were very active in the community and life but very little services.
Yes we once lived in lake county.

I think that I prefer here.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:02 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Been there done that. Now that we are in our mid 50s its time for us to sit back and enjoy life. I have no intentions of dying with dirt covered hands anymore. There is a whole world out here for me to enjoy and I am going to do just that.
It's great that we BOTH get to do what we want. Having lived all over the US, city, town and country, and working in a crazy variety of positions, I can't imagine a better place to fall down dead than digging in my garden with dirt under my fingernails and mud-stained jeans. Oh, if I could only be interred where I fall, so I could push up tomatoes for the rest of eternity! LOL

Not that I am planning to do that any time soon, I only just GOT here! And I may be a little slower from time to time and hobble a little more, but at 60 I hope I have a lot of long rows to hoe in my future, as well as critters to tend, cook and eat along the way.

I can tell from your posts and photos that you are enjoying the SW every bit as much as I am the NE!

Starwalker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine