Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:25 PM

36 posts, read 174,940 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my name is Bill, and right now I/we live in the northern part of the lower penensula of Michigan. Born and raised here, and we feel it is time for a change in our life. We have been to Maine a few times and we absolutely love it there. I have four years till I retire, and Maine is where we want so much to live. I have never come across so many wonderful people, and awesome places to go and see in my life. I'm a skilled tradesman working for a major wood products company here in Mich.
We really love the midcoast region, and if the fates allow, that is where we want to settle down at. Believe me when I say I'm no stranger to foul weather, we get our share here. I really hope to learn a lot from talking to you fine folks here. I'm quite sure I'll have a boatload of questions to ask, and I hope they won't be stupid ones. I look forward to chatting with as many of you that I can. We are going to be coming out there this April to look at homes in the Bath,Damriscotta, Wisscaset areas. If any of you have questions for me, please ask. Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,685 times
First of all Bill, we welcome you if you decide to move here. Second is that I just happen to have my house on the market soon... but live just outside of Portland. Let me know if you need more info on this...

Old 02-28-2007, 06:08 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
The only "stupid" questions are the ones that don't get asked.

No where is this more true of questions about the State of Maine.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:59 AM

581 posts, read 713,560 times
Bill - Are you aware of the growing gang problem in Maine?

Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 PM

36 posts, read 174,940 times
Thank you for the replies. Hotdog, thank you for the heads up on the house, but until we come out and really start looking in a serious manner, we're unsure of where exactly we want to live. To us, Maine is like the worlds biggest candy store, and we can only have but one small piece. So we have to choose very wisely the first time. Acadianlion, your absolutely right, there are no stupid questions,except asking the ones you already know the answer to. We will probably have so many questions to ask, I don't even know where to start. David, I think this is something that all communities suffer from, and yes, it just may be headed to your fair state. Unfortunate as it is, it seems to be the way of life in these trying times. As in any community, you have to recognize the trouble and do what you can to head it off before it gets out of hand.
As I said before, we dream of Maine, sleep of Maine, and want so much to be a part of Maine. And, the good lord willing, that dream will become a reality for us. To live in a place where other people know you by your name, and look on you as a neighbor, is the place we want to stay. And I believe Maine is that and more.
I know things differ from what I'm used to, such as taxes, cost of living, environment, and housing. These are the things I will have questions about, and I'm sure those questions can be answered here by the people here. I look forward to getting to know you all, and maybe in time, have the pleasure of even meeting a few of you in person.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 PM

47 posts, read 82,848 times
Default Gangs?

Hi Bill,
Loved your post. I grew up in northwestern Indiana so I know what you mean about the weather! But I have lived in New England most of my adult life. I love Maine. We've lived there 3 times, plus 16+ years on the Maine/New Brunswick border (visiting ME weekly). (My hubby's job situation caused us to move alot) Maine is great, but it also has its downsides like any place. I've lived in Northern Maine (Aroostook Cty) Bangor, and Waterville. We plan to move back to the Bangor area later this year, if all goes well. Mostly due to family up north.
I haven't heard anything about gangs. There are some drug problems, some crime - mostly in the bigger cities. On the other side, I love the quietness, the laidback nature of most of the state. But mostly, I love the people. After living in CT, it's always refreshing to travel through Maine (3 - 4 x's per year across the entire state to Canada) as the people we meet in gas bars, restaurants, quilt shops, mall, etc are the most friendly people I could hope to meet. They converse with you like they've always known you. Here in CT - you get funny looks if you try to be too friendly. Very conservative people here. They are polite, but that's it. If you have more questions, please feel free to email me, and I will try to help. I can give you some websites of local newspapers that are online as well.
PS: The Maine coast is very beautiful, but very expensive! Do your homework, and be realistic, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
Bill - Are you aware of the growing gang problem in Maine?
LOL

Yeah, at this rate by 2020 we may have one.

LOL

Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM

581 posts, read 713,560 times
Well, Acadianlion has spotted gangs (and other things) in Bucksport - what do I know? Bucksport is a fairly major urban area - kinda like Corinna, if you know what I mean. You may not be seeing it out your way yet, Beekeeper, but just wait - it'll get there.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:52 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Maybe Unity too.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 AM

26 posts, read 113,160 times
I've lived in Maine for 51 years and I'm glad you're thinking of coming here.

I wouldn't be very worried about crime. I suppose that you can find trouble anywhere if you want to go looking for it, but I have never once felt uneasy about walking down any street in Maine at any time of the night. I won't say violent crime never happens, because it does, but the rate is very low. Check the crime statistics at fbi.gov and you'll see what I mean.

Maine people are quite laid back and reserved overall. Some people from away interpret that as being "standoffish Maine-iacs" but trust me, we are friendly. We appreciate politeness and not being pushy and rude.

Taxes are very high on working people. Maybe not nearly as bad if you are retired, because our biggest tax is the Income Tax that is levied at the maximum rate of 8.5% beginning at a very low wage level. I think that lots of Maine people pay more in Maine Income Tax than they do in Federal Income Tax because a lot of the credits that the feds give don't apply to the Maine version of the income tax. So as a two-income family, I can tell you, we've asked ourselves why we stay in Maine. And the answer is:

Low crime, reserved but friendly people who would give the shirt off their back to help someone in need (which I think is part of the reason for the high taxes actually), a decent safe school system and good public education system, low car insurance rates (because unlike in other northeastern states to the south, most Maine drivers are not crazy), weather that never leaves you bored; peace and quiet and beauty all over the place, just good honest hardworking people full of humor and fun. Lots of us have Canadian roots, and having been to Canada many times I can definitely say that Maine's heritage from Quebec and New Brunswick is alive and well. We even have Tim Horton's in Maine, just like in Montreal. If you like Canadians, you'll like Mainers. Otherwise, don't bother moving here.

Also, if you do move here, you need to learn to love the Boston Red Sox. They are almost like a religion here. When they won the World Series in 2004, all the signs on the Maine Turnpike said, "Red Sox World Champions 2004." You wear a New York Yankees hat in public at your own risk! Also, NASCAR is amazingly popular for such a "Yankee" state and lots of guys think nothing of driving for 20 hours to go to some race in the Deep South just to be able to say they've been there. High school basketball is also as much-loved in Maine as it is even in Indiana. Public TV stations carry the big games at "Tourney Time" from venues in Bangor, Augusta and Portland.

Portland is the "San Francisco" of Maine. It is as close to urban hip as you will find (and it's still quite different from the real San Fran, I can promise you.) York Country in the far southwest (where I live now) is the "melting pot" where lots of people "from away" come to live due to the proximity to Boston (and Fenway Park) and the location that's a lot closer to everything else in the US. Acadia National Park on the Downeast Coast is amazingly beautiful and very popular- even in the winter now. The northern parts of Maine are quieter and less expensive for real estate. Much less in most cases. Maine is still very traditional and even puritanical in many respects; after all it is New England and we are proud of it.

If coming to Maine as a retired person, I would advise you to look carefully at health insurance (Medicare supplement) costs. I don't know for a fact but I've heard that the rates are much higher than in many other states due to the heavy regulations here. Also check the property tax rates of the particular town you choose. The rates can vary dramatically from one town to the next. Also, check to see how much the Maine Rent and Property Tax Refund program will help you. It helps some people a lot, especially those on fixed incomes.

If you like New England, also take a good look at New Hampshire and parts of central and western Massachusetts. Both have nice places to live and the taxes can be a lot lower. But the real estate may in general be higher, so you have to weigh out everything and decide what you like best.

Overall, Maine isn't too bad. But personally, when I hit 65, after freezing my tail off most of my life and paying through the nose in high Maine taxes, I will think long and hard about maybe moving "Down South". Many people from Maine do that and just come back in the summers. They claim their residence in Florida to keep the taxes low and when the first snow flies, they are back in the RV and long gone until next June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine