Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 PM

96 posts, read 201,339 times

Advertisements

We've been trying to think of baby names as we are expecting #2, and we want an old-fashioned name that's not too common right now. My family has been in New England for centuries and I want something with meaning, but it's tough with the hundreds of thousands of names out there!
For a boy we love the name Obediah, but are open to suggestions. And for girls we are just lost. I have a fondness for reeeaally old names such as Peregrine (1600s and 1700s) and I love Eleanor also...and Emmeline. Does anyone have any neat old names they can think of, perhaps from their families or general knowledge?
Our first son is named Jasper, which we have found is a sturdy name where we live now (Jasper Beach, Jasper Wyman, Jasper's Restaurant, etc.).
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,268 times
I love the name Jasper! What an great name!

I was searching in google for you and came across this list
" Samantha, Triphena Plumy, Kezia, Aseneth, Elgardy, Leafy, Ruhamah Lovey Almaretta, Sarepta, and Florilla were among them. . . . "

from this source Harriet Robinson on Lowell Mill Girls

From my own family experience, my Nana and her sisters were named Dorothy ( Dot), Bernice ( Bern,) Mathilda (Molly), and Ruth.

Great thread toadling...how nice to include all of us

Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 AM

474 posts, read 1,417,030 times
Congratulations on the pending birth of your daughter. Here are some suggestions from me! Agigale, Essie, Beatrice, Genevieve, Hannah Charlotte, Eleanor, Elsie, Zana, Isabella, Judith, Minerva, Permelia, Rebecca, Sarah, Victoria and Amelia. My great grandmother was from Nova Scotia and her name was Eva. Good luck and you must let us all know what you decide!

Old 12-13-2008, 03:15 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
Emily, Hannah, Abigail. Those are from our Revolutionary war period and are the wives names of some of our Patriots.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:15 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,681 times
I love the old-fashioned names, but please keep in mind that she will be attending school with some not-so-nice kids who love to find any reason to tease.

I think you (and your beautiful daughter) will be safe with names like Emily, Hannah, Isabella (she can always be Izzy), Sarah, Rebecca or Anna. I also like Lydia.

Congratulations on the impending birth of baby #2

Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 AM

48,116 posts, read 21,996,081 times
My great grand aunt (who lived in Maine in 1860's) was named "Cordelia" and my grand daughter is named after her. I love the name.....it is strong and distinctive. Cordelia was the name of King Leer's daughter in the Shakespearean play. Cordelia can be shortened to "Delia" or take on a name of affection as Dealee or even "Cor" which has a suggestion of mi corizon or sweet heart.

Cordelia's daughter's name was "Emiline" , which was another old New England name. The other daughter was "Florence".

"Clara" is another strong New England girls name......Clara Barton, the civil war nurse is a wonderful example of an empowered woman.

My sister's name was "Diantha" which I think is beautiful and it reminds me of the little free flowering pinks or carnation "Dianthus" which I like to plant in her memory.

Last edited by elston; 12-13-2008 at 05:28 AM..

Old 12-13-2008, 05:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,547 times
I am partial to the name Paige(our daughter's name). I also like one of my many sister's middle names, Wynne. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 AM

163 posts, read 295,374 times
See if you can check the early U S census records online. Unfortunately, my ancestors had generations of Josephs and Marys. It was also common for parents to name a child for a deceased sibling, so when researching you can find two sisters with the same exact name. Must have been a little tough on the child. My gg grandmother's name was Almira. Another name I've come across in colonial America is Freelove. Probably would not work real well today!

Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 AM

48,116 posts, read 21,996,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
See if you can check the early U S census records online. Unfortunately, my ancestors had generations of Josephs and Marys. It was also common for parents to name a child for a deceased sibling, so when researching you can find two sisters with the same exact name. Must have been a little tough on the child. My gg grandmother's name was Almira. Another name I've come across in colonial America is Freelove. Probably would not work real well today!
Hmmmmm I was confused about finding the same name spelled differently in family records....Emiline and Emmeline; I thought it was the same person but perhaps it was one sibling named after a deceased sister. I know that was done after a son was killed in the civil war....the next boychild was named "Henry" after his deceased brother.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:20 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,999 times
I am partial to Victorian names like - Emma, Sadie, Sophie, Winnie, Jenny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine