Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
I do all my own fluid changes and minor work such as alternators, batteries, thermostats etc. During the winter time I goto VIP to get an oil change because it's too cold to get on the floor...even though I have a garage.

A word of caution to those who goto places to have their oil changed...I know 3 people who have gone to a place in Belfast to have thier oil changed and the place did not property change the oil filter causing the oil to blow out everywhere. One of those people ended up with a cooked engine, the other two were lucky enough to not have any damages. I'm not sure if it was just the luck of the draw and it happened 3 times at that certain place or the people there are just careless....either way I stay away from there.

When I get my oil changed at VIP during the winter I take the time to check the filter and the plug when I get home to ensure that all is ok.
Probably/maybe what happened with the oil filter is that the gasket on the old filter came off when removing filter and stuck to engine and mechanic didn't notice. Then when putting on new filter you have 2 gaskets instead of one and in that case 2 isn't better than one. It'll leak big time. Happened to a friend of mine. I learned from his misfortune. I change oil for family members (lucky me) and I'd say maybe 1 out of 4 oil changes that gasket thing happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Yes, because it is SO difficult for them to unscrew a few bolts to remove that skid plate.
Absolutely!

Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,716 times
Recently, on my old truck (a 95) I replaced 2 front fenders, repaired the exhaust, replaced front hub assemblies, calipers, brake pads, filters,oil and a vacuum actuator that makes the truck engage into 4 wheel drive.
On my "new" truck (a 98) I replaced the multi-switch that controls the blinkers,wipers,hi-low beam and also replaced the wiper motor.
Most recently, I replaced the hydraulic pump on my plow.
I'm not much of a mechanic (actually I'm a carpenter/contractor by trade) I just followed the instructions in my Chilton's manual and looked online.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 PM

121 posts, read 338,067 times
Anything that is possible for me to do, I do. Not just for the cost savings, but it seems that almost every time I take the vehicles to be worked on, they come back worse than they left. From oil drain plugs left loose, to grease on my seats and carpets, to belt buckle scratches all over my fenders. And don't even get me started on lug nuts! I have a few mechanics I trust, but unfortunately can't afford to have them do everything. I do, however, give their cards out whenever I have the opportunity. One for tires/alignments, one for transmissions, and one for general mechanical stuff.

I have to say, that changing the ball joints, replacing springs in my truck, or any other needed modification sure gives me a feeling of accomplishment. (and a sore back for a few days!)

Remember: if it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmonkey View Post
but it seems that almost every time I take the vehicles to be worked on, they come back worse than they left.
lol That's for sure!
When one of our vehicles has issues beyond my level of experience I bring it in to the garage. It is owned and run by my neighbor, who really is a good dude, and we often barter his mechanicing for my carpentry. Only prolem is that he always finds something wrong and fixes it but never the problem I brought it in for.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,073 times
As long as you have the correct tools (or close enough), a Chiltons or Haynes manual, and an Internet connection, you can do almost anything. It may take you 3 times as long, but you can usually get it done. Things like timing belts are exhilarating. If you don't do it right, you can wreck the engine in incredible ways. I always filled up with a nervous sense of excitement when I got ready to turn the key after I finished, hoping I wouldn't hear the sound of my valves bending. Some people pay money to get that kind of adrenaline rush...

Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,526 times
I only work on our vehicles when I have to. We drove junkers for so many years, and I always worked on them myself. Finally, I just couldn't bend over that firewall anymore. Of course, the fact that I was seven months pregnant might have had something to do with it. These days, I've got a nice relatively new truck that only needs maintenance. But hubby has an old truck and since he learned most of what he knows about cars and trucks from me, he usually asks me when something's wrong and I have to go crawl under the ^**%%^ thing to see what's going on.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
If you don't count the time I put the carb on backwards and could figure out how the linkage went together I'm a pretty good abckyard mechanic.With the exception of the Prius (Don't want to get bit by that) I do my own on most of the vehicles I own. Not too hard on an old Jeep or the T-Bird I had. Anything major like pulling off the valve covers to get at stuff I generally leave to the garage up the road. Most things are pretty simplle remove and replace.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,637 times
I do most of our work unless it gets really technical. You can buy a reader fairly reasonable that will give you engine code information, the service stations charge pretty good for this. I really miss working on the pre-90's models before everything became electronic.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,581 times
A couple years ago I replaced the transmission on my '59 Plymouth. Just a simple "take the old one out and put in a good used one". Except when bolting the new trany to the engine, not thinking, I reused the old lock washers (which were almost 50 years old). A few months later, detected a vibration on a trip from WI to Kansas City, no less. Made the trip down and back ok but a few months later found source of vibration. Loose trany bolts - lock washers were flat - not locking. Of the 4 bolts one was actually gone. Moral of story - do not reuse old lock washers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine