Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 23,011 times

Advertisements

I am a senior in high school and the year is almost over!! I have narrowed my college search to three colleges, two local and one REALLY REALLY far away! Now it will be my first college experience and I’m not quite sure what to do. The bottom line is that I currently live in Florida but liked unity for its environmentally based majors and it’s seemingly close nit friendly atmosphere. My question is are my impressions of Unity correct or am I going to be disappointed? I will be visiting at the end of the week so hopefully I will get some replies before then but if I don’t I would still appreciate any and all info. on unity and the surrounding area. THANKS A BUNCH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 12:35 PM

306 posts, read 1,037,819 times
My friends that go there absolutely love it. I don't know much about the surrounding town though.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM

37,505 posts, read 61,530,858 times
I have gone there a few times for 'Earth Day'.

Unity is also the home of the Maine Hippy Fair, also known as 'Common Grounds Fair of the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association'.

www.mofga.org

We go to the fair every year, and really enjoy it.

Draft animal competitions have not only work horses, but also oxen.

Families sale their grains that were grown on fields entirely without petroleum-fueled tractors.

We produce organic veggies, fiddleheads, mushrooms, sprouts, ginseng, and eggs. And sale at a local farmer's market.

MOFGA is the state's governing authority for all things 'organic'. If you want your farm to be organic certified, you must go through MOFGA, which is in Unity.

It is a small college, and looks very laid back. Lots of fun!

Though to be entirely honest, I am not so sure about career prospects for graduates from Unity. If you are planning on going into farming on a poverty basis, then sure. But you might want to talk with a few seniors, and find out what kinds of career fields they are seeing.

I do not mean to lay out a negative on you, it does look like a great place.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 23,011 times
Thanks for the info!
I plan to get my bachelor’s in Wildlife Biology and when I go this weekend I will defiantly ask about career options. Oh and the fair sounds like great fun I will have to check it out! Still looking for any additional info on Unity College and the surrounding area!!!!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,103,396 times
FB, I think you're confusing Unity College and MOFGA. There is no connection between the two. Unity College has a reputation as the school with the largest selection of wildlife management/environmental science majors in the country, and its graduates do pretty well in finding jobs in their chosen careers. MOFGA is, as you stated, the go-to organization for organic gardening and farming information -- the largest statewide organic growers organization in the country, in fact -- and the sponsor for the annual Common Ground Country Fair, which I haven't missed since 1979. (Which day do you usually attend? I favor Fridays myself. Fewer crowds.) The two groups -- Unity College and MOFGS -- share a certain environmentally-oriented philosophy, but that's about all.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 AM

Unity is a fairly small town.

The college, MOFGA, and a railroad museum, are about the entire town.

I do know that these are seperate businesses.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:45 PM

So what is the latest?

Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,834,451 times
The wife and I have been food venders at the Common Ground for the past 16 years, members of MOGFA as well.

As FB pointed out Common Ground Country Fair is a blast and getting bigger and better every year. it's moved to Unity maybe 8 years ago as it outgrew the fairgrounds in Washington. About 50,000 people attended last year.

Even tho Unity College and the fair are separate I too feel there is an underlining connection between the two since it is such a small town. Over the years I have met several students, grads who are putting down roots in the area and faculty. It seems to be a great small school with a more progressive down to earth philosophy towards education.

Unity is one of my favorite towns in Maine, we used to camp at the marina right on Unity Pond but it closed a few years ago but found a great place nearby.

Not a whole lot in town commercial wise but Waterville is an easy drive and has all that. Also an easy drive to the ocean, about an hour.

Let us know how you liked it after your visit.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM

277 posts, read 892,912 times
I live about 10 minutes from Unity, and used to work in the town at The Beverage Mill. "The Bevi" used to be the spot where all the college kids came to buy their refreshments...seeing them everyday I became friends with a lot of the students and even worked with some of them. From what I experienced all of the students from UC are very friendly. Unity being the small town that it is, everyone knows most everyone and for the most part are friendly. One thing I did happen pick up on while working in Unity is that there are certainly people to watch out for. During the time of the common ground fair many of the "good old boys" as they call them selves can get quite nasty toward people visiting for the fair. I remember a couple occasions where the "good old boys" were very rude. Those same people are also rude to many of the college students.
All and all I think that you would have a great time going to UC, there isn't a great deal of things to do in the town of Unity, but if your like most college kids--I know I am--you can always find something to do. There are always plenty of things going on at the college and many times things at the performing arts center. The Tavern at the college has a wide selection of beverages to choose from which is always fun too.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,496 times
Default Where are you with unity?

I just read your postings and was interested in where you decided to go. I just graduated from Unity in Dec. of 05. I was the president of the student body. I have lots of information if you need it. Drop me an email.
bbowser@unity.edu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine