Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:25 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,710 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of help and assistance in helping prevent soil erosion and the protection of our precious water resources in Maine, for those that chose to do so. In the next couple of weeks some important programs are going to close their enrollment dates for sign up so if you are on the fence, now is the time to sign up. There are 3 major programs to consider and all of these programs are free for qualifying landowners.

Equip: NRCS
The Equip program is a very comprehensive program that allows farmers and landowners to improve their soil and water conservation methods on their land. Everything from roads, to manure pits to forestry practices, to livestock fences are covered under this program and money is available. The first round of funding has been closed but a second round is open now and will close on July 24th. If there is a conservation practice you would like to implement, but cannot afford it, this program will pay 75% of the cost based on Federal rates so the majority of the projects can be built to spec pretty much for free. It is based on a ranking system but you may be surprised what qualifies. It is worth checking into in any case.

Agricultural Management Assistance: NRCS
Ever thought about getting into organic production? Then this is the program for you. It is new and allows money for current and converting organic farmers that are in transition. Its a pretty good deal because this is the first subsidies ever granted to organic farmers based on their unique needs. The cut off date for this is July 24th so hurry and sign up if you want help in converting to organic production.

Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program NRCS
Love song birds, bats and other animals that are threatened in Maine? Then this program is the one for you. It helps share the cost of birdhouses, nesting ground and habitat retention for lots of Maine wildlife. It is based on your land and what is there and the best way to protect it. In my case I am looking at increasing the number of bats for a natural insect control for the livestock, while trying to combat the lethal "white mouth fungus" that is killing the bats by the thousands here in the Northeast. It is also going to help pay for some brush control measures that will promote song bird habitat and pay for some birdhouses. This closes on June 24th so you really must hurry to get in on this program.

Grass Reserve Program: FSA
Got livestock or grazing land that you want to maintain as grazing lands? Then this program helps you lock in that land for that purpose and pays you a stipend every year for doing so. If you qualify, then you get paid for doing the right thing. Again it is worth looking into if you have livestock and do not use the land for other crops. The cut off date for this is August 7th so you got a bit of time to sign up.

Loons and Lead: WCS&WCD
If you are a fishermen and have lead sinkers and other fishing gear with lead products, please consider what that lead is doing to the wildlife that make these fresh water lakes and streams their home. You can replace that lead tackle by taking it to the Waldo County Soil and Water Conservation District and have it exchanged for their equivalent in other, more healthy metals for FREE.

Again these programs are free and really help to improve the soil and water conservation efforts in Maine. If you think you may be interested in some of the help that is available, check your local NRCS, Soil and Water Conservation District, or FSA office to see if they might help you improve your land, and Maine in general. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:36 PM

My farm is enrolled in a few of these programs and I can tell you some ways they have helped me improve my farm, and some projects I am working on now. The Soil and Water Conservation Districts, and the NRCS is a little obscure sometimes, but they really can help improve situations on your land.

One situation for me was having my sheep shuffle between two fields I own. Between them was a stream and naturally the sheep were pooing in the stream and muddying it up. At the same time this area was a makeshift road for farm and forestry equipment. It was not good but I don't have the money to put a road in.

I applied under the equip program and was just approved last week for a 900 foot long access road. This will give me a all weather road from the town maintained road to this field and prevent soil and manure from entering the stream. Since I live on a hill, this really will improve water quality in a lot of streams and rivers.

Another program is the WHIP Program where I am trying to promote bats and other endangered wildlife on my farm. I got fence posts up to keep the livestock in, so why not have some birdhouses and bat houses strategically placed to help improve wildlife here too? It will also help me address some song bird, partridge and deer habitat as well.

Another obscure program was the Wool Defeciency Loan Program where the federal government steps in when the price of wool is obnoxiously low. It does not pay much, but 29 cents per pound is better then the 6 cents industry is paying now. For those with sheep, this is a great program to get into and is open enrollment at the FSA offices.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:45 PM

333 posts, read 873,859 times
Great info.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Great!

More of my hard earned money down the rat hole!

Last edited by dmyankee; 06-19-2009 at 06:37 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Great!

As a die hard republican I am on the same page as you with this, but it is funded according to need so only the most needed projects get built. It is obviously not a perfect system, but the USDA has one of the best effeciency ratings of any Federal Agency. Part of that comes from the requirement to have local input. Every aspect of these grants goes through a local committee that is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. You can state how you feel and where the money goes if you show up. I reported a few months ago on standing up and fighting for the local, small farmer and won at these meetings.

This county this year is seeing a lot more smaller farmers getting more projects funded. In years past it was one or two big projects for the big farmers, but that is changing. That is the whole point of these posts...for the people like myself that tried 20 years ago to get some projects done...and realized we would never get funds...now the atmosphere has changed.

The truly sad part is, because of the way the USDA doles out money via the local committee system, it is efficient but slow. The last Stimulus Bill left the USDA completely out of it because they simply could not get the extra funding requests in place before the 90 day deadline. Every other fedral agency got money from the deal but not the USDA. It is a shame because these local conservation improvements go directly to contractors and vendors in the local area. That is the whole idea of the buy local movement and so the USDA is actually doing its part.

In my case, a local old duffer builds bat houses. I'll buy a pile off him and he will be directly impacted by federal money...his own stimulus if you will. I will have more bats around the farm which will help reduce insects around the sheep. Without a need to buy expensive incesiticides, my sheep will be healthier and I will have less inputs so I can sell lamb at a cheaper price.

Since every square mile of this country is alloted a certain percentage of money every few years, the money is, and has always been available. What it is used for is the question. I just don't think people realize that they can apply and get some help in improving their farms/homesteads.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:46 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Caution:

Be careful about these grants. Be very sure they do not come with some perpetual easements that contaminate the title to your land. Advice is fine. Easements are not.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:50 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
I just remember when news guy, Sam Donaldson admitted he takes a "mohair" subsidy for his goats, just because "he could."

Old 06-20-2009, 05:54 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Great!

Be carefull about lumping all the programs into the tax waste catagory. There are quite a lot of these that actually do good work and help out. And always remember and don't ever forget: never complain about a farmer with your mouth full.

Great info Tap

Old 06-20-2009, 07:15 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Great!

What, exactly, is the problem with these specific programs?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 AM

333 posts, read 873,859 times
Default Erosion Control

Did some research for a project, couple of years ago for a former employer
that had applied for a grant www.filtrexx.com/index.htm and look at real estate or agriculture. this process was a little pricey but the state approved it and in the long term it is still an on going test of some new technologies that will be a great asset to erosion control there are a growing number of companies that deal with these new products , mostly in southern Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: