Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:05 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times

Advertisements

I never experienced race being an issue in Maine. I found that Mainers were very welcoming to all races. As others have mentioned, there are some nut cases anywhere, but no more in Maine than anywhere else (actually, probably less than most places).

For a state that's the whitest in the nation (or second whitest, Vermont and Maine are neck and neck), it's a wonderfully accepting place (of all things... not just race). This brings me to my next point, Maine may be the whitest state in the nation, but it ISN'T the least African American. Being the whitest doesn't necessarily equate to having the lowest African American population; it just mean that it has a lower percent of non-white population groups than the rest of the states. MANY states have smaller African American populations.

Portland, Maine's largest city, has a population that is nearly 7% African American. in a city that has 63,000 people inhabiting it, that means about 4,500 residents are African American. That's hardly a population that's not noticeable. Don't get me wrong, African American culture isn't nearly as pronounced in Maine (or even Portland) as it is in many other states, but it's not non-existent.

To be honest, I think adjusting to the smallness of Maine and the cold of the winters will be a bigger issue than race or community. Maine is about one-fifth the size of Metropolitan Atlanta. The largest city in Maine (Portland) is 11 times smaller than Atlanta (Portland is similar in size and culture to Asheville, NC if you want a good comparison). It's a rural state and that can be a big adjustment for someone moving from a big metropolitan area as big metro areas don't exist in Maine.

That being said, if you want safety, comfort, friendliness, affordable living, and a great place to bring up a family (or retire, or live without children), Maine fits the bill. Best of luck, I doubt you'll have trouble fitting right in in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I remember that. It was in USA Today. Former mayor Laurier T. Raymond let the Somali immigrants know in his own "vocally inplicit" way that he would rather the Somali immigrants not settle in Lewiston. After that, many people lead a protest against him.
The Mayor did nothing more than write the Atlanta officials a polite letter requesting they stop sending more Somali refugees up for our generous welfare benefits for a while, because the local government infrastructure could not financially handle the influx.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
Default African American Culture

thanks for your responses

Looking forward to your trip Labor Day weekend

Last edited by DONNIEANDDONNA417; 06-25-2009 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
flycessna...What part of the south are you from?...I live in atlanta where the black population is huge.

My husband and I are seriously considering moving to maine...we just want to make sure we are moving to a friendly area where race is not a issue.

I am from New England But lived Va for a while.. I know thats not the "real" south ...but it was way down south for me...

I think you could be very happy living in Maine

Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 PM

169 posts, read 550,537 times
i don't know much about living in maines larger cities or towns but if you should end up in rural maine, your most difficult situation settling in will be that you are "from away" and not that you are black.

all you have to do is be kind and friendly to the rural mail delivery person, the gas station attendant/owner, any and all wait staff in town, all tradesmen (after research), the pharmacist, all clerks and cashiers at the grocery, folks at the take out, the code enforcement officer, the first, second and third selectmen/women, the folks at the historical society, the dowser, the postmaster and all the clerks (if any), and all abutters.

if this is your true nature, it will be easily discovered and it will go out on the rural wire that you are "OK" and you will be at home..........

Old 06-25-2009, 08:00 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I remember that. It was in USA Today. Former mayor Laurier T. Raymond let the Somali immigrants know in his own "vocally inplicit" way that he would rather the Somali immigrants not settle in Lewiston. After that, many people lead a protest against him.
Not exactly what happened. He emplored the church to slow down the number of Somali immigrants into the Lewiston area as the city was simply out of funds to deal with the flood of people! He was applauded by the realists of the area. 2000-3000 people have a big impact on an area no matter where they end up. There are also Somali gangs forming in these areas now so all is not as rosy as the goat herders would have you believe. Their color has nothing to do with it, it is their customs and more's they brought with them and their inability or unwillingness to assimilate into the general population which has isolated them. The same thing happened in Burlington VT. A large influx of a certain group who ended up living in one area, sticking to their ways , and isolating themselves from everyone else in the area. Raising goats and chickens in the middle of the city just is not something the rest of us do!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine is the whitest state. However, Maine is virtually color blind. Portland has had a black population since the Civil War days. There is a black church that has been there since then. The mayor of Waterville is black with a 99% white population. He does a great job.

Wow that is amazing. A black mayor in an all white town

Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Wow that is amazing. A black mayor in an all white town
Well believe it or not that situation sticks out around here as Maine is 95.9% white. NMLM wasn't trying to be a wise guy here he was pointing out the mayor of Waterville is a good Mayor that's ALL!
Unless you are from here it is impossible to understand just how few blacks there actually are here. We just do not see blacks in our everyday life and are not exposed to blacks so we don't really have any basis to go on. Maine people are friendly and do not ignore people. We do have a live and let live attitude but we also want to do and say the right thing when we are around people different from ourselves, we are just awkward with it as we have no experience with it! Often we will try too hard to be nice to blacks and other races and we come off as goobers or the people are just put off by us trying to be friendly. When ever I travel anywhere I am truly amazed at how standoffish everyone else is. No one is nice, no one is kind and no one speaks to anyone. Maine is different and it makes some uncomfortable.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 PM

6 posts, read 17,532 times
Okay well I am a African American in Maine. Born and raised! I have had a few problems with racism but i have worse experiences in the hood (out of state) than in Maine. I live in Portland and there is alot of diversity. Alot of people from all over come and live here. I didn't grow up with black people. I have mostly all Cambodian friends. My family that lives here is big...I see black people every where i go. Please dont think that you wont lol. I am also a hair stylist specailizing in ethnic hair and get aloooot of business! In my former high school there is over 30 languages and the white people are starting to become the minority in school. There is alot of Somali and Asian here. There is alot of culture here I love it! I think Portland or surrounding areas would be the best choice when moving to Maine for non-white people. I have lived in Bangor also..the further north you go the more close minded people are from my personal experience. Up north I have had so many people come up to me and tell me that i was the first African American they have ever seen!

There has been African Americans here since before they freed the slaves. I actually got to go the routes in Maine where the lead slaves in the underground railroad! People need to realize we do multipy so we are here! lol

Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 PM

6 posts, read 17,532 times
Maineah! you can just say hi..you dont need to speak a certain way to blacks or any other race! we are hear the same way! thats when the ignornace comes into play and that why we look at people like they have 3 heads. i dont expect a white guy/women to say anything to me any differently as the white girl I'm with...but they do. I dont see color! i see a person. People who do see color make it very clear that they see it! Which just makes you look stupid lol. People who say certain things like...you cant be from around here! its like okay why because im black? That person looks at me..embarassed but its the truth of what you wanted to say.

Maine is a very friendly place...everyone says hi to each other...we smile ALOT when seeing people. OUT OF STATE you see alot of straight faces, no thank yous...no people holding doors for you. I mean of course some people do here and there BUT in Maine your kinda raised as if its a must. People always know Im not from there. Strangers here will give u a helping hand if you asked for it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine