Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:29 PM

222 posts, read 529,935 times

Advertisements

Many people here ask about relocating and living here in Maine. While the excitement is easy early on, what happens down the road?. Well, here I am 3 years later and guess what...moving to Maine as been one of the best decisions of my life. Within the last month, I was back in Los Angeles, and to my old stomping ground-but I could not wait to be home to my little piece of Maine. Yes, money can be difficult to come by here, but I see bald eagles nearly every day and live by the ocean=this is wonderful and I love it here STILL. How do you all feel after relocating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:57 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Like many Mainers I joined the Navy to see the world. My wife ended up teaching in six states. We came home to Maine for three years and had to leave to find work. We saved and came back, but I learned when you work for somebody else you are never secure. I invented my own job. Sometimes people say, "This is so beautiful, but what to you DO here?"

I tell them I don't have a job; I have some jobs. Most people here do more than one thing.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Like many Mainers I joined the Navy to see the world. My wife ended up teaching in six states. We came home to Maine for three years and had to leave to find work. We saved and came back, but I learned when you work for somebody else you are never secure. I invented my own job. Sometimes people say, "This is so beautiful, but what to you DO here?"

I tell them I don't have a job; I have some jobs. Most people here do more than one thing.
Correction.... 33% of them work for the State!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

so very true, many folks i know wear more than one "hat"

Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
We've been here four years now. Still loving every bit of it. This was the lifestyle we wanted, and am very blessed to have gotten it.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
Many people here ask about relocating and living here in Maine. While the excitement is easy early on, what happens down the road?. Well, here I am 3 years later and guess what...moving to Maine as been one of the best decisions of my life. Within the last month, I was back in Los Angeles, and to my old stomping ground-but I could not wait to be home to my little piece of Maine. Yes, money can be difficult to come by here, but I see bald eagles nearly every day and live by the ocean=this is wonderful and I love it here STILL. How do you all feel after relocating?
Well, I'm a "native" who has briefly lived elsewhere, but I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it. I always dislike hearing that people have to go elsewhere to make money before they come back.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 AM

160 posts, read 370,856 times
Lynn and I will have been here one year on Wednesday. We have no regrets about moving and just absolutely LOVE it here!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,175 times
I am a born and bred Mainah living in self-imposed exile in Florida...and have convinced my Florida Boy husband to move us back to Maine...lol I have only been here 2 years, but it feels like ages...I miss it terribly. I've been through the forums and have seen many people saying that they love the "friendliness" of the neighbours, the community....I think that is what I miss the most about living in Maine ( not to mention the low crime rates!). How can it be that in 2 years in the same neighbourhood, on a street of at least 20 houses I know only 3 of the neighbours names and NEVER speak to any of them?? It seems crazy to me! How do these people survive??? lol
Honestly, last summer I got stuck on a flooded street in my car...IT WAS 20 MINUTES! before anyone came to help me out, at least 20 cars passed me and my 7 year old by. Not a one asked if we needed help. This wouldn't have been the case in Maine.....
My daughter having started school in Maine has found the children here in Florida to be just as solitary as the adults. She hasn't made the kind of friends that she did in Maine. I cannot wait to move back! We will be there before the "summer" is over....

Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM

312 posts, read 725,971 times
Default very happy here!

Dan and I have only lived here in Eastport for 2 weeks, so I guess we can't give an accurate gauge, however, we say to each other every day how happy we are living here and how lucky we feel to have gotten here, and I don't see any reason in the foreseeable future why we should ever feel differently, although everyone says winters are rough and jobs are hard to find, however, we come from PA which also has lots of cold, snow and ice, and we both brought our jobs with us since we both work at home, so we, too, feel like it's the best decision we ever made (besides marrying each other, of course)

The people here are so friendly and down to earth and would give you the shirt off their backs. People don't seem to be in a hurry all the time here. The beauty of the land, of course, speaks for itself.

For us, it's absolutely true what they say -- Maine really is the way life should be!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 PM

222 posts, read 529,935 times
Default Yes

Maine is the way life should be. After seeing a different life elsewhere it was wonderful to come home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine