Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times

Advertisements

The NWS is still saying that Danny could be a hurricane by the time it gets here. There is also a low in the west heading this way for the weekend. The problem is if the two combine (which is one prediction now) we could see another "Perfect Storm" scenario with a minimum sized hurricane and a huge amount of rain. We could see rain in the 12 inch range if predictions hold. That much rain would cause MAJOR flooding all over Maine as the rivers and streams are already unusually high for this time of year as is the height of the ground water itself. Add some wind and power outages and we could be looking at a real mess around here.
I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best. Get gas for your generator and make sure it runs, fill your vehicles with gas, make sure you have a way to prepare food and have food enough for a few days, put by some water, have flashlights and other light sources ready, get any prescriptions you need filled.
Don't drive through flooded roads and don't run a generator IN YOUR HOME. Watch closely if you live in a flood prone area and be aware of evacuations and shelters. Be prepared to secure windows should "Danny" hit as a hurricane. It is far better to be prepared for the worst than to do nothing and wish you had prepared! This storm could be a bad one and bears close watching!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 10:24 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
May slow down the hurricane, but I am rarin' to go! Once again, the weather is right for me! Woo Hoo!!
Me, too! This is dream weather for me.

By the way, my mother emailed yesterday to see if you guys were ready to send me packing back to Texas after 2 hurricanes in a row, two weekends in a row. I did NOT bring them with me! I promise.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,453,468 times
Noon time weather out of Boston shows the favored track 100 miles east of Nantucket. The worst winds will be once again on the northeast side of the storm which means out at sea.

It's path would not make direct landfall anywhere in NE at this point. If there's a wobble, then it might.

I agree Maineah, time to get some preperations underway. The leaves make the trees heavy with the wind, resulting in downed trees, ergo downed wires are a possibility. Time to lay down the patio umbrellas, etc.

The updates at 6 and 11 will have more information. It bears watching.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,494 times
After living in Louisiana, and with my daughter still there, I can tell you that hurricanes and tropical depressions are completely unpredictable, even up to within hours before landfall. Daughter and family sat out Katrina, but evac'ed during Gustav and Ivan. A lot depends on other weather fronts, water temps, etc. Interesting, though, that two should come out way the first year we move to Maine, El. I know you probably sat through some bad tropical depressions in Texas. I think NMLM jinxed us by recalling the hurricane that hit Eastport some years ago in the month of August.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,494 times
As per the weather, talked to a friend back in Texas last night. It was 104 there yesterday. I'm with El. This is weather Texans can only dream about.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Noon time weather out of Boston shows the favored track 100 miles east of Nantucket. The worst winds will be once again on the northeast side of the storm which means out at sea.

It's path would not make direct landfall anywhere in NE at this point. If there's a wobble, then it might.

I agree Maineah, time to get some preperations underway. The leaves make the trees heavy with the wind, resulting in downed trees, ergo downed wires are a possibility. Time to lay down the patio umbrellas, etc.

The updates at 6 and 11 will have more information. It bears watching.
I sure hope it stays out to sea but as Casper1212 said you can't rely on predicted paths. "Bill" came ALOT closer to the coast of Maine than the predicted path. It missed by less than 100 miles and that is not much for a hurricane. The front that gave us this nice dry air is shearing "Danny" at this point making it unorganized. Those shear winds are due to subside tonight and will allow "Danny" to become a hurricane. Last weekend there was a big trough along the coast that kept "Bill" off shore. This time there is no such trough steering "Danny" which is why this storm worries me more than "Bill" did. Not that I'm in panic mode but a little caution is advised here.
We certainly don't need any more rain and no one wants to have their garden destroyed by wind and rain at the height of corn season!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:25 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
..... This time there is no such trough steering "Danny" which is why this storm worries me more than "Bill" did. Not that I'm in panic mode but a little caution is advised here.
We certainly don't need any more rain and no one wants to have their garden destroyed by wind and rain at the height of corn season!
OK, Maineah I am starting to pay attention here! When would we expect the storm to hit here in Gorham? I havent heard any warnings yet.

I have a huge bush type perenial sunflower (Sun Queen) that is about 6 ft tall and spreads about 6 ft wide.....it is really lovely....but it also has rather brittle stems and has trouble supporting itself.....A hurricane and of course its gone....but I am on my way outside to see about giving it some support by tying it to the deck railing. The patio umbrella is put away and the grill will be going in the garage.....along with the garden cart and various empty plastic pots that the mums came in. I dont have a generator....but if we loose power I do have gas stove; flash lights, oil lamps and food. My house sits pretty high and dry.....any water goes down the swales on the side of the property.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I bet it's a great relief to be on the watching end vs. the running away from them end.
I agree with your comments.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
OK, Maineah I am starting to pay attention here! When would we expect the storm to hit here in Gorham? I havent heard any warnings yet.

I have a huge bush type perenial sunflower (Sun Queen) that is about 6 ft tall and spreads about 6 ft wide.....it is really lovely....but it also has rather brittle stems and has trouble supporting itself.....A hurricane and of course its gone....but I am on my way outside to see about giving it some support by tying it to the deck railing. The patio umbrella is put away and the grill will be going in the garage.....along with the garden cart and various empty plastic pots that the mums came in. I dont have a generator....but if we loose power I do have gas stove; flash lights, oil lamps and food. My house sits pretty high and dry.....any water goes down the swales on the side of the property.
You're all set elston. We may see just rain though with everything so saturated now even a moderate amount of rain could be bad. I have a problem with my cellar flooding so I have two generators available to keep the sump pump working should the power go out. I also keep two extra pumps on hand incase the primary sump pump can't handle it. I had two pumps running at least twice in the last year. Just this week on Monday I pumped out 4 inches of water from the cellar after a big thundershower. Usually the ground will handle storms this time of year so I don't have to worry about pumping out the cellar. Not this year, every time it has rained since May I have had to pump the cellar.
We also have a cottage on Casco Bay with a float and dock to worry about. We may have to haul the float, ramp and boats out if the storm becomes a hurricane. It will be a busy time in the next few days. We'll know a lot more about what to expect by this time tomorrow. I don't care for hurricane season!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Thank You......I should be ok.......the only water I had in my basement was a puddle that came in the bulkhead door......the basement is really very dry......and there is a well or something over in the corner with crushed rock and I think a pipe runs from there over to the swale at the edge of the woods......the builder said I could pour a bucket of water directly into that "well".

Again, Thanks....is the storm due on Tuesday? My partner is over in Japan for his father's funeral--so I am home alone....and just a tad nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine