Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You see, there are people who want vicious zoning and tyrannical local governments and people who delight in living that way.

Yes but isn't there a good side to zoning?

I'd be hesitant to buy or build an expensive home, if there were no rules preventing a sewage plant or tannery or wind-plant being someday built next-door to my property.

There would go my property value.

And even though I wouldn't personally mind someone moving next door to me with lobster pots on his front lawn (I'd think I'd prefer neighbors like that), I would still have to realize that most potential buyers of my dream house wouldn't like it, and I'd have trouble getting top-dollar when time comes to sell.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Yes but isn't there a good side to zoning?

I'd be hesitant to buy or build an expensive home, if there were no rules preventing a sewage plant or tannery or wind-plant being someday built next-door to my property.

There would go my property value.

And even though I wouldn't personally mind someone moving next door to me with lobster pots on his front lawn (I'd think I'd prefer neighbors like that), I would still have to realize that most potential buyers of my dream house wouldn't like it, and I'd have trouble getting top-dollar when time comes to sell.

I have yet to see it. Being able to do what you like is called freedom. It has it's price, but I'm very happy with it.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
In our town the most expensive home was owned by a prosperous retired potato farmer. The home next door was a small two bedroom trailer. The two owners were in Kindergarten together. They played high school baseball together. They hunted and fished together all their lives. Why should government prevent these two old friends from being neighbors? Most of Maine will allow them to be neighbors, but there are a few places with oppressive laws that would not allow them to be neighbors.

Before buying property in Maine, be sure you will be able to use it. Common law prevents the creation of a pig farm in a residential area. Don't be distracted by that red herring. That is not zoning.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
In our town the most expensive home was owned by a prosperous retired potato farmer. The home next door was a small two bedroom trailer. The two owners were in Kindergarten together. They played high school baseball together. They hunted and fished together all their lives. Why should government prevent these two old friends from being neighbors? Most of Maine will allow them to be neighbors, but there are a few places with oppressive laws that would not allow them to be neighbors.

Before buying property in Maine, be sure you will be able to use it. Common law prevents the creation of a pig farm in a residential area. Don't be distracted by that red herring. That is not zoning.
I agree.

IMHO from having owned four homes in other places before coming to Maine. Generally zoning and HOAs are methods of controling the population into conforming with one person's ideal.

That is NOT freedom.

What makes it worse is that the people in control, making the regs are on a salary. A salary paid for by the people being controlled.

"Please take my money and tell me what you think I should be allowed to do on my land"

Old 01-26-2010, 06:07 PM

216 posts, read 645,915 times
Default Quimby buys thousands more acres

Roxanne keeps rolling.

Quimby buys thousands more acres - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/135546.html - broken link)

Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM

And the noose tightens. Nineteen townships in Washington County, 17 townships in Piscataquis and Somerset Counties; Pretty soon you are talking about a lot of land. Just think about economic opportunity lost forever in 36 towns in your home area. It's like an economic WMD and that's the whole idea. Create a wasteland of no economic opportunity and people will leave. It's called rural cleansing. That will drive land values down. It's only a tap of the space bar between worth less and worthless.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
It's a pity some people and groups can't be banished from states...

Perhaps Maine needs a "Great Denali Trespass" like Alaska had...

In any case, eventually, if nothing is done to stop it, these extremists will win and everyone will be crowded into the cities wondering how they got to that point...

Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 PM

The Nature Conservancy has a budget of over $2,000,000 a day, 365 days a year. Yes, they are closing in on an annual budget of a billion dollars. They are just one organization. There are hundreds of such groups. Most are hand fed by the Environmental Grantmaker's Association. None of this is about the environment. It is about taking land out of private ownership and contaminating the land forever with covenants, codicils and easements that make the land non-viable to own.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
The Nature Conservancy has a budget of over $2,000,000 a day, 365 days a year. Yes, they are closing in on an annual budget of a billion dollars. They are just one organization. There are hundreds of such groups. Most are hand fed by the Environmental Grantmaker's Association. None of this is about the environment. It is about taking land out of private ownership and contaminating the land forever with covenants, codicils and easements that make the land non-viable to own.
And that's the problem, the enemy has such resources, and have many of the courts and politicians in their pockets. Perhaps the answer really is seceding and just throwing them out and erasing the easements/etc. they've created.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
And the noose tightens. Nineteen townships in Washington County, 17 townships in Piscataquis and Somerset Counties; Pretty soon you are talking about a lot of land. Just think about economic opportunity lost forever in 36 towns in your home area. It's like an economic WMD and that's the whole idea. Create a wasteland of no economic opportunity and people will leave. It's called rural cleansing. That will drive land values down. It's only a tap of the space bar between worth less and worthless.

It sure is a lot of land being bought up and 'preserved' for non-human use.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-27-2010 at 05:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine