Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 06:54 AM

44 posts, read 78,489 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I may have found a house in Fort Fairfield on Riverside Ave. Does anyone know anything about this area? How are the schools here? My youngest son is in the 8th grade and in accelerated English classes. Do they have programs for accelerated students? How is the town in general, concerning resturants, grocery stores, etc? Will be there Monday the 21st to see the house and the area. We are really getting excited about our move! Also what do newcomers need to know about the winters and getting around in the snow when they have never experienced the snow before? I want to be prepared for everything. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Depending on which part of Riverside Ave you are on can make a big difference in the Spring. The very first section between the road and the Aroostook River can and does flood in the Spring run-off (I think all the houses have been removed from that portion though after the big flood a few years ago leaving only 2 buildings). If you are on the same side, and beyond the driveway to McGillan Construction I haven't see water reach there ever. Now it doesn't happen every year and it hasn't happened in at least 10 years now, but it can. The ones on the same side of the road as McGillan's and between them and the corner are also pretty dry every year as well. Nothing on the river side I would even think about.

Fort Fairfield is probably my favorite little town in that area. The school is small, but actually care about the kids. I have done quite a bit of work in town there and have worked with the school many times. I would send my kids there over any other school in the area personally (Easton would be a close second). I believe they do have accelerated programs for the kids, but cannot say with 100% certainty.

Fort Fairfield has a very nice new (finished Fall of 2008) community swimming pool located in town. The people are very nice and open there as well. There are some rather good for their size stores downtown that will save a 12 mile trip into Presque Isle for things. Rite-Aid has a decent sized store right on the Main corner and there are also a couple gas stations in town. Every Summer - early Fall the "Maine Potato Blossom Festival is held in Fort Fairfield and in the Summer they have a gospel music as well as a bluegrass festival. You won't find any real restaurants in town, but the Harvest Market across from Rite-Aid is a good place to stop in and get a very good meal. They have a couple booths, a couple tables, and some seating at the counter to go along with good basic food. Down on the other end of town is a smaller, but rather well stocked grocery store. Also the Irving station has a Subway sandwich place in it. The hardware store was for sale last thing I knew, and I hope it is still open downtown because it was nice.

Snow --- well now, this is the real question isn't it . Fort Fairfield and surrounding areas do a GREAT job of clearing the roads during and after a snowstorm. The main roads between Fort and either Presque Isle or Caribou are 99.99% of the time open and in decent shape. I used to travel them every single day and not once did I have to turn around because they were not plowed. No matter what time of day or night I was traveling them either. My suggestion, and this is coming from someone who has lived 44 out of 46 years in the North country, is that the best thing you can do during the winter months is get a set of 4 good snow tires. There you can get studded tires, but honestly there isn't that much difference between the studded and new studless snow tires (I have a set for each of my vehicles and put them on as soon as snow flies). After the first snowfall find a large parking lot and play around a bit to see just how your vehicle is going to handle when it loses traction (Notice I sad WHEN, not IF). Slow down, take your time and don't push yourself beyond your personal comfort zone on the snow and ice. When you do, that is when you find yourself in the ditch or snowbank. If somebody wants to go faster, let them pass.

Buy some sleds for the kids, and an extra one or two as well. Might as well enjoy the snow and cold instead of sitting inside and thinking about how cold it is. It will get cold, very cold if you are not used to it. I have seen at LEAST -35 every single year I lived there. Some years colder.

If you need the names of service people up there drop me a DM and I will send you a list of them. Mechanics, Electricians, Plumbers, etc...

Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 AM

44 posts, read 78,489 times
Thank you so much for your wonderful tips. The house I am looking at is 107 Riverside ave E and on the google map there ae a lot of houses on that side of Riverside. Someone else is supposed to be looking at the house tomorrow so just hoping it don't get rented before I can get up there. The man said he would definately call me if he rents it. I have not seen pics of the house so I really do not know what it looks like but I wrote the man back and told him that Im almost positive I want the house considering there are not many other houses around we can get in the area.

I drive an SUV that is 4WD and has a winter drive option which I imagine will come in handy. I guess I will need snow tires, how expensive are they? Glad to hear the schools are good. My son is so ready to leave this state! I will probably be in touch about places to get tires etc. Its nice to be able to talk to people on this forum, I don't know a soul in Maine!

I will be in touch, and thank you so much for your reply.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,012 times
I don't know a soul in Maine!

THAT ended the first time you logged onto this website. I moved here seven months ago and felt like I knew half the people in the state before I even got here.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:57 AM

85 posts, read 184,541 times
With a 4WD vechicle all seacon tires are fine...anything else I would suggest 4 studded snow tires. Cost are about the same with a charge to stud them if needed. Fort is a very nice town...as most here are. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Snow and winter is an individual thing. Those who snowmobile, ski, etc. generally enjoy it. Those who can get away in the winter for a week or two...........well that helps too. I just try to ACCEPT it, deal with it, get outside, and remember the other 3 seasons.
My mom is from Fort..........Still have family there. This makes me kind of from there (that's the way it works in Fort---it's a local thing.). It's a nice town. It is slowly coming back from a bad time in the 80s and 90s. Beautiful countryside and some really neat old places in Fort. The riverside area is very beautiful. Close to Caribou, PI, Canada.
Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine