Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal_photographer View Post
Hannaford's used to make a no-salt chips, but not anymore. I suppose they weren't very popular...

Ever try the Utz ripple sour cream and onion? Top notch! Cape Cod dark russets are very good as well.

I tried the Hannaford's Parmesan and something-or-other kettle chips and threw the bag out...awful.

I buy a lot of Hannaford's products, but nothing edible really. Except their deli...it's very, very good. The turkey is dry and not much like other deli turkey, and the roast beef is rare and VERY good.

Much better than that Old Neighborhood garbage they sell. Their roast beef has that rubbery glaze on it where you think you're eating sliced spam...it's really disgusting. I tried their pastrami and didn't even want to give it to my dogs...why don't they get Boar's Head? It's far better.
I love Boar's Head! Is that sold anywhere in Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM

63 posts, read 136,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Me too! They used to sell it everywhere in Vermont, but not Maine. When I lived in Cushing (just south of Thomaston), the small general store there (Fale's) sold Boar's Head. I haven't seen it anywhere else though, unfortunately...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
I miss Hannaford's! The variety of products they sell is amazing compared to the Albertson's here. I loved the store in Belfast -- big, nice, great selection. The produce was much better than here, too.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 AM

63 posts, read 136,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I miss Hannaford's! The variety of products they sell is amazing compared to the Albertson's here. I loved the store in Belfast -- big, nice, great selection. The produce was much better than here, too.
I know what you mean. In Vermont, I moved to Waterbury which had no Hannaford's nearby, so I was stuck with Shaws. It was horrible, Hannaford's is far superior, especially the produce like you said. The meat and chicken is far better as well.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I agree. The Hannaford's brand of just about everything other than flour and salt is not very good.
We stopped buying Hannaford stuff about a year ago. Humpty Dumpty used to make good BBQ chips until they moved operations from Maine to Canada. Now they are not good. If you really want a terrible chip try Humpty Dumpty "All Dressed Up " chips. They are the absolute worst chips I have ever eaten!
I've gotta agree with you on that one. I stopped buying store brand years ago when I compared ingredients and found that they no longer were exactly the same. Most of the things differed in salt content and/or fat and fiber, and a lot of the time, contained a lot more water than they used to. Once they started manipulating the ingredients, I found name brands to be worth the extra cost.

What gets me is the "incredibly shrinking product." I defy someone to find a chip bag that contains more than 12 chips now. I use old cookbooks a lot, and the ingredient lists require mathematics to figure how many cans of something to buy. I'd rather see the price go up and the quantity stay the same then to be hoodwinked into believing that I'm getting more for less. It makes me grumpy to say the least when I pull out a Hannaford brand blueberry waffle that's about 2 inches in diameter and has literally 1 blueberry in it.

I do long for the time when Humpty Dumpty were tasty. I think the oil they cook them in now has a lot to do with how they taste. I say "Bring back self-control AND trans fats!"

Old 12-09-2009, 12:09 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
Heck, I'd be happy with Shaws or Shop 'n Save compared to what we have here. Oh well, it's not he end of the world.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juststoppinby View Post
The All Dressed chips are my very favorite of all chips!
My buddy likes them too...to each his own I guess. I think there's just too many different flavors sprayed on them and they end up tasting like the liners out of old sneakers. And yes before you ask I have eaten the liners out of old sneakers several times!!!They are good with clam dip.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:45 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
It's the BEST!
I love it also, it can be found at Big Top Deli on Maine St in Brunswick and at Bow St Market in Freeport but both of those locations are a little bit of a ride for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal_photographer View Post
Me too! They used to sell it everywhere in Vermont, but not Maine. When I lived in Cushing (just south of Thomaston), the small general store there (Fale's) sold Boar's Head. I haven't seen it anywhere else though, unfortunately...
Both of the above business's are pretty close to you, my favorite is honey maple glazed turkey breast but the chicken choices are great too.
If you haven't found Bow St Mrkt in Freeport yet, you're missing out on something pretty nice.... go check it out!

Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 PM

55 posts, read 163,400 times
I noticed that in my town the price of the Hannaford chips went up as the taste went down.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
many coastal stores sell boars head in the summertime,(for the tourists) it is good, but it is very pricey!! more stores would like to sell it, but again, when you are staring at 8.99lb for roast beef,
and the russer, kayem, or private label brand is 4.99 on sale, most mainers are quite frugal.
Pine tree market in northeast harbor(close to bar harbor) has a full set up of boars head product in the summer, but again, it's mostly for the tourists and summer residents.
now dont get me wrong, there are many year round mainers that would buy boars head, however, they are far in the minority- unless you are in a posh area, the stores have to be careful- if you cater to tourists in the summertime with more pricey product, they can easily- kick out the frugal locals, that the store needs year round to survive.

i believe dole and bailey (out of boston) delivers the boars head to maine- you could give them a call to see what maine stores carries there product.
boars head pushes for an exclusive program (all or nothing) so, again, this makes it tough to bring in just a few loaves)

oh yeah, check out your local bagel mania-the one in augusta has boars head deli loaves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine