Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:08 PM

52 posts, read 213,054 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just want to get a way from it all but I need to be able to work too. I am not fussy I can do any job and thankfully we dont have a ton of bills. Here are my questions.

1) Is there work? How about the coastal towns?

2) Do the summers get warm? I can handle a cold, cold winter if there is a nice summer to follow?

3) How are the beaches? We have a had a really rough couple of years dealing with his cancer and just want to run away and live on or near the beach. What beach area do you think is the best?

4) What things would you think I should have aheads up about before moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,610 times
I don't know much about the coastal areas.
I do know, as a general rule full time employment isn't the easiest thing to find in Maine.
This last summer was rainy, we kind of skipped summer, had a short spring, then into fall.
Although I believe Maine is a great place to heal what ails you, If you just want to run away for a while, spend some time on a beach, relax and breath, I'd go to Jacksonville Fla for a while. They have great beaches, and a relitively slow pace of life.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM

Did I forget to mention the part where we want no one around? Do you think summer pay would be able to keep us a float the rest of the year if we really only need a good 10K a year to make it?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Jobs

Is it really that hard to find a job? I keep reading all the posts because my husband and I like the quiet life but I need some kind of work. In my life I have milked cows, wiped butts, done sales and worked in insurance. Would moving to Maine for the solitude mean starving?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:35 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattygirl27 View Post
My husband and I just want to get a way from it all but I need to be able to work too. I am not fussy I can do any job and thankfully we dont have a ton of bills. Here are my questions.

1) Is there work? How about the coastal towns?

2) Do the summers get warm? I can handle a cold, cold winter if there is a nice summer to follow?

3) How are the beaches? We have a had a really rough couple of years dealing with his cancer and just want to run away and live on or near the beach. What beach area do you think is the best?

4) What things would you think I should have aheads up about before moving?
Some questions:

1. Where are you moving from?
2. Do you have enough money saved to pay rent and pay for food for at least 12 months?
3. What kinds of skills do you have that will make you employable?
4. Do you know how small the state of Maine is, in terms of population?

Once you have answered these questions, some answers can be given to you.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,747 times
Quote:
I hear most of the water along the Maine coast is kind of cold to be swimming in, even in summer.

Maybe in the part of Maine closest to the New Hampshire coast the water temps might be tolerable.

Trouble is the Gulf Stream veers farther from shore in Maine latitudes, which makes the water a lot colder along the coast the further east along the coast you go.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 PM

64 posts, read 119,450 times
Yes.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:48 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,747 times
Quote:

3) . . . live on or near the beach.
From what I've learned, the summers are cooler along the coast and warmer inland away from the coast.

You can find climate and other information on various maine towns by entering a town name and state here:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2010 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 03:53 PM

ACADIANLION!

Hi we would be moving from Indiana. We would have 24m worth of income before moving. (I like to hedge my bets) As to my skills I can flip burgers, milk cows, wipe butts, sell, sell, sell, file, type, and I pick things up pretty quickly. Maines tiny population is one of the things that draws me to it. Oh and I have spent time in Oregon so I know that coastal towns outside of Cali and Florida have water too cold to swim in.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,575 times
Yes, it is really that hard to find a job here. The job market is very poor right now. I went to work on Monday and found an email telling us we were done. The business closed over the weekend putting over 120 people out of work with no notice. We are certainly not the first that this has happened to and will not be the last.

You will hear from many posters that you need to either have enough savings to get you through at least 12 months of rent and food etc. or make sure you have a job before you get here. This is a beautiful state and a wonderful state to live in...if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine