Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:19 PM

581 posts, read 713,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Hardleys are okay for short trips, but I do prefer American made bikes and V-twins are murder on long drives.

I ride a Gold-wing.

I'm not quite sure what a "Hardley" is, but Harleys (Harley-Davidsons) are American-made. I believe Gold Wings are Hondas - Japanese? You take airplanes for "long drives".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 05:31 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
I'm not quite sure what a "Hardley" is, but Harleys (Harley-Davidsons) are American-made. I believe Gold Wings are Hondas - Japanese? You take airplanes for "long drives".
Goldwings have been manufactured in America since the 80's, with US made parts.

Harley-Davidsons have not been since the 50's.

And even now HD are only assembled in the US from imported parts. Except for their starter which is a honda product.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:48 AM

581 posts, read 713,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Goldwings have been manufactured in America since the 80's, with US made parts.

Harley-Davidsons have not been since the 50's.

And even now HD are only assembled in the US from imported parts. Except for their starter which is a honda product.

What about this:
Browser Update Required
(This is a link to an American HD factory.)

Old 06-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Both companies are share-holder owned. So both have owners that are from any nation on the planet. Neither company is 'American owned'.

One company has never made the claim of being entirely American, the other company has made that claim in their PR, even while their parts have been entirely manufactured overseas.

For over twenty years one company has manufactured motorcycles in America, from American made parts, assembled in America, and they even supply parts to the other company, however that do have the foreign sounding name.

In some ways I would like an 'American' bike with an 'American' sounding name. However I am 48, and to own one would mean that the bike would be older than I am.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Each year, come the first snow storm of the season, I can count on seeing three or four cars off the road on the way to or from work, and they are almost without exception 4WD vehicles whose drivers think they're invincible because they're in a 4WD.
This happens in Ohio when we get light flurries. And the road crews act as if it was their first day on the job and stick to plowing streets that are already clear.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:17 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,129 times
There is a Harley plant about 45 miles north of me up in the Northwoods of Tomahawk, Wisconsin. They produce the fibre glass components that go into a Harley. Then they ship these components, cowlings, etc. to their plant in PA for assembly. I believe Harley engines are manufactured from scratch at the Wauwautosa (Milwaukee plant) and possibly the Kansas City plant. I took a tour of the Kansas City facility two years ago and it was very impressive. A lot of manufacturing took place there and not just assembly.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 28,676 times
Default Just have to know how to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sminthian View Post
I always hear the stories in the wintertime about Maine getting like 6 feet of snow at a time. Does everyone up there have like 4WD Pick-Ups or can a normal car do ok?
Think you just have to learn how to drive in the snow. I love watching the news when some place down south gets a half inch of snow and they start playing bumper cars. Mainers who were raised here just know how to drive...well... for the most part.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:55 AM

233 posts, read 417,937 times
Well, I have a Honda Shadow and a Pontiac Firebird right now. Both of which are pretty much useless in the snow. I'm figuring on getting a 4WD 1/4 ton pickup if I'm actually gonna move up to Maine.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sminthian View Post
... I'm figuring on getting a 4WD 1/4 ton pickup if I'm actually gonna move up to Maine.
It might be fun in the summer mud, but you really do not need it for winter.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
It's all about common sense, and some have mentioned that a front wheel drive vehicle is sufficient. It's a good idea to stay off the roads until the storm passes. When it snows enough, most business close down either for the day or until the snow is cleared. The major roads get cleared first, then the secondary roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: