Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,226 times

Advertisements

We may have the opportunity to relocate for a job in Columbia. I just started reading the forums to get an idea of where to live. We are looking for very good schools, upper middle class family community and will spend about $550000 on a house. My husband is a big golfer and is hoping for golf nearby. I'll keep reading the forums but looking for recent suggestions. A lot of posts that I find are a couple of years old and real estate has changed dramatically in the past 3-4 years.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
[quote=esdmom;23123523 We are looking for very good schools, upper middle class family community and will spend about $550000 on a house. My husband is a big golfer and is hoping for golf nearby.[/QUOTE]

Ellicott City would suit you "to a tee". The Turf Valley Country Club is in the western part of Ellicott City, and Columbia itself has a couple of clubs. I don't golf, so I don't know how good any of them are. But, be careful if you are look for a community *on* a golf course, as 1-2 of the courses have closed for financial hardship.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you! Good to know about some of the golf clubs closing. I don't know if we would be able to afford to live within a course community, but close by is good enough.
Thanks again!

Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM

6,592 posts, read 11,298,379 times
A few opinions from an avid golfer - Columbia has two courses as part of the Columbia Association (CA) - Fairway Hills and Hobbits Glen. Fairway is open to the public, but is not even worth it in my opinion. Hobbits requires membership to CA. CA is basically a community/health/sports organization. Membership gives you access to various facilities in the Columbia area. You can google CA for more info.

Turf Valley has two courses and is semi-private (its actually a resort/conference center). I'm a member and joined more because I live in the community. Golf wise, its not bad, but there are better courses in the area (actually Hobbits is nicer IMO). The people here are great though. There's also Waverly Woods right next to Turf Valley. Its a nice upscale course, but the development around the course is getting out of hand. Other courses in the area include Cattail Creek (Private - super slick greens. Members are a bit concerned due to economic/financial situation), Timbers at Troy (muni), Diamond Ridge (Baltimore co. muni) and Woodlands (upscale course on the same grounds as Diamond Ridge).

The good thing is that there are also a number of really nice courses within 45-60min drive of Columbia. Worthington Manor (great course, also a consistent qualifier site for US Open), Whiskey Creek (Ernie Els designed), PB Dye, and Renditions. Renditions is a unique course as its 18 holes are replicas of world famous holes (sawgrass 17th, Amen Corner, Oakmont 4th etc.).

As for housing - 550K might get you an older home in the Turf Valley community. School wise, the two top schools by reputation in this area is Centennial and River Hill. Most of TV goes to Marriotts Ridge. Fairly new school.. I think they've only graduated 4 classes thus far. Its reputation is also very good, albeit not as known as the other two to it being the newest HS in Howard. All in all, Howard county is considered one of the best systems in the country. So you can't really go wrong with any HOCO school. And as always, the better the reputation - the more expensive the real estate, relatively speaking.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the info. Right now we are just waiting to hear.
Thanks again

Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,602,396 times
In San Diego, people who live on the golf courses occasionally have problems with golf balls breaking their windows. If your kids are going to spend a lot of time outside around the house, I wonder if a house on a gold course is safe enough. It happens only rarely - but it does happen!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM

764 posts, read 1,658,077 times
If you're going to spend $500k on a home, Ellicott City or Clarksville would work for you depending on if you're working in northern columbia or southern. Eitherway, you commute would be cake 20 minutes (and that's 5 minutes just getting out of a neighborhood onto a main road). You will pay a premium to live in the Centennial HS district (in 2008 our realtor estimated $50-75k). Pick any of the top half of the HoCo high schools and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland