Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,147,163 times

Advertisements

Snowing hard right now with about 5 inches already on the ground and to top it all off I am also having random power outages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,101 times
Default Lots of Snow in the Orange County area.

It's been snowing all day since sometime last night and its still coming down. I think its supposed to get heavy again tonight and give us between 7 and 11 inches.. yikes

Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 PM

111 posts, read 91,716 times
The commute home from Baltimore to Columbia was horrible today. People, learn to drive in the snow. Going less than 10 mph isn't "safe", it's likely to cause you to get stuck due to your lack of forward momentum. Turn your damn hazard lights off, too. Everyone knows the weather sucks and this isnt your personal tragedy. Saw a couple dozen people who would have actually saved money getting a motel 8 near work instead of attempting to drive home in the snow today.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 PM

24 posts, read 66,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokingHazard View Post
The commute home from Baltimore to Columbia was horrible today. People, learn to drive in the snow. Going less than 10 mph isn't "safe", it's likely to cause you to get stuck due to your lack of forward momentum. Turn your damn hazard lights off, too. Everyone knows the weather sucks and this isn't your personal tragedy. Saw a couple dozen people who would have actually saved money getting a motel 8 near work instead of attempting to drive home in the snow today.

My husband did not check out a hotel, he walked home in the snow, 30F. There is no hotel nearby where he got stuck. It was just 5 minutes drive fr. home. He just called me & told me the excitement tonight. After a long drive from Ft. Meade; he stucked in a local road in Ellicott city after 2 attempts of an alternate route. One was closed, one is open only for 4 W drive. He & other divers in line were told by the police to park on the shoulder. He trek home for an hr on the no-sidewalk road in the dark. It would take just 3-5' to drive! His Oakley jacket kept him warm; it was not too cold. I told him: "Welcom to Maryland!".

The kids & I are still in sunny California; it was 78F-87F today here. In fact It was our kid's snow day at her preschool today. "Snow day" in California means paying $800 for 3 tons of snow blown on the grass to play/sled. Our kid had a blast with the snow in CA while Daddy trekking in the snow in MD!

We are joining him in a few months to trade the sand for the snow. Is this typical winter in MD? Or just a another bad winter?

Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 AM

52,791 posts, read 34,678,773 times
There was a story in the post about the nightmare commutes that some people had; one woman left work at 4 pm and didn't arrive home until 5:30 am. Lots of power outages too.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,606,635 times
Power's been out at our place for 12 and a half hours now. It didn't even go out during the Snowpocalypse!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,540,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Power's been out at our place for 12 and a half hours now. It didn't even go out during the Snowpocalypse!
That's terrible! Without power I'd be extremely bored.

Just shoveled out the car and a pathway. Heavy, but pretty easy stuff to move. Thankfully it's warm here. There will be lots of ice tonight I bet.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,147,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Wow, Keep warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland