Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who could be MD first African American Governor?
Stephanie Rawlings Blake 4 25.00%
Rushern L. Baker III 1 6.25%
Micheal Steele 2 12.50%
Kweisi Mfume 1 6.25%
Kurt Schmoke 1 6.25%
None of these damn fools!!! 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 PM

342 posts, read 913,188 times

Advertisements

I would really like to hear your opinions!

What up and coming African-American politician in Maryland has the potential to be our governor?

I always thought that Sheila Dixon (Former Mayor of Baltimore City) had the potential to take Annapolis. She was a great leader in my opinion and did a lot more for Baltimore than people want to admit. And coming from our people in the south Jack Johnson would have been in my opinion the second most reasonable candidate. He really impressed me with his drive to complete the national harbor!
But as you all know Sheila and Jack have both been caught behaving badly!! So who's next?

Could it be Stephanie Rawlings Blake, the young mayor of Baltimore or
could it be Rushern L. Baker, the new exec to Prince Georges County!!

SRB is too young in my opinion but can raise campaign money like no other politician in the state, well except for Martin O'Malley!!

Anthony Brown in my opinion has no chance in hell and wouldn't even win the Black vote in PG County! He should run for congress after O'Malley leaves office!

Who knows?? Who do you think? Oh, and please remember!
These young black democrats wouldn't be running against O'Malley. Because in 2016 when Obama's second term is up Mark my Words "Martin O'Malley will run for President" and will possibly win!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,701,155 times
Hopefully one who's a bit libertarian/classical liberal, not a "vote for me and I'll let you suckle on the government teat" Dem or a "we don't need no stinkin' tax revenue" Republican.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 PM

45,456 posts, read 60,666,498 times
1) Anthony Brown

2) Anthony Brown

3) Anthony Brown

He's the establishment favorite if he wants it and why O'Malley picked him as Lt. Gov. in the first place.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 PM

915 posts, read 3,182,249 times
Why race matter really? It matter who can get the job done regardless their color....There are too many people in the damn city that care about the skin ....end results is the same if you keep voting the same damn corrupt person in....look beyond the damn skin color..look what they can do for you to improve your situation not to enslaved you even more..modern slavery = EBT card and welfare!

p/s I'm not even white!

Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 PM

501 posts, read 1,162,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
1) Anthony Brown

2) Anthony Brown

3) Anthony Brown

He's the establishment favorite if he wants it and why O'Malley picked him as Lt. Gov. in the first place.

I hope not. He's not a Marylander. He's from New York. You mean to tell me out of the millions of true-born African American Marylanders that we can't find one of our own who's qualified? Pitiful. This would be a disgrace to AA's in this state. We produced Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass from our shores, yet we can't produce a single qualified black person for governor? This disappoints me and I was ashamed as a resident when Sheila Dixon and the black PG county officials were all over the news for their sleaziness. Disgusting.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:31 PM

143 posts, read 365,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
I would really like to hear your opinions!

What up and coming African-American politician in Maryland has the potential to be our governor?

I always thought that Sheila Dixon (Former Mayor of Baltimore City) had the potential to take Annapolis. She was a great leader in my opinion and did a lot more for Baltimore than people want to admit. And coming from our people in the south Jack Johnson would have been in my opinion the second most reasonable candidate. He really impressed me with his drive to complete the national harbor!
But as you all know Sheila and Jack have both been caught behaving badly!! So who's next?

Could it be Stephanie Rawlings Blake, the young mayor of Baltimore or
could it be Rushern L. Baker, the new exec to Prince Georges County!!

SRB is too young in my opinion but can raise campaign money like no other politician in the state, well except for Martin O'Malley!!

Anthony Brown in my opinion has no chance in hell and wouldn't even win the Black vote in PG County! He should run for congress after O'Malley leaves office!

Who knows?? Who do you think? Oh, and please remember!
These young black democrats wouldn't be running against O'Malley. Because in 2016 when Obama's second term is up Mark my Words "Martin O'Malley will run for President" and will possibly win!!
That would be awesome if Governor O'Malley becomes President.

Why do you think Lt. Governor Brown wouldn't win the Governor's race?

I don't think Mr. Steele would win any elected statewide office in Maryland because he already lost a Senate race in Maryland.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 PM

45,456 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
I hope not. He's not a Marylander. He's from New York. You mean to tell me out of the millions of true-born African American Marylanders that we can't find one of our own who's qualified? Pitiful. This would be a disgrace to AA's in this state. We produced Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass from our shores, yet we can't produce a single qualified black person for governor? This disappoints me and I was ashamed as a resident when Sheila Dixon and the black PG county officials were all over the news for their sleaziness. Disgusting.

Parris Glendening wasn't a born Marylander either.

My prediction for 2014 is a Brown/Gansler/Franchot race in the Democratic primary. Brown just may win that one since Gansler and Franchot will split the same voters. This injects race into it but Brown will carry the vast majority of the Black vote in that 3 way scenario and would have a real good shot at coming in first.

The winner of that will become the next Governor as the Republicans have no one that has any traction or is well known outside their own specific area. Ehrlich's loss last year pretty much forestalled any Republican resurgence in the state at the state-wide level, although a majority of the Counties have Republican majorities at the County Commission/Council and down ticket (Sheriff, Clerk of Courts, Register and Recorder, etc.) offices.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:57 PM

7,033 posts, read 11,329,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilinglamp View Post
That would be awesome if Governor O'Malley becomes President.

Why do you think Lt. Governor Brown wouldn't win the Governor's race?

I don't think Mr. Steele would win any elected statewide office in Maryland because he already lost a Senate race in Maryland.

In that order if O'Malley becomes President.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Parris Glendening wasn't a born Marylander either.

My prediction for 2014 is a Brown/Gansler/Franchot race in the Democratic primary. Brown just may win that one since Gansler and Franchot will split the same voters. This injects race into it but Brown will carry the vast majority of the Black vote in that 3 way scenario and would have a real good shot at coming in first.

The winner of that will become the next Governor as the Republicans have no one that has any traction or is well known outside their own specific area. Ehrlich's loss last year pretty much forestalled any Republican resurgence in the state at the state-wide level, although a majority of the Counties have Republican majorities at the County Commission/Council and down ticket (Sheriff, Clerk of Courts, Register and Recorder, etc.) offices.

We saw how well Glendening turned out. I wish there was an emoticon for *shutter* The guy could barely win the governorship despite a 2-1 party registration edge.......and had KKT as his 2nd in command *double shutter*

Ehrlich can thank his lucky stars he got to run against her.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 PM

Oh, and I did vote for Steele (he won all the GOP counties handily) when he ran against the wet blanket Cardin. Steele is a little goofy and speaks off the cuff too much, but I still like him. I don't think he would win the governorship though. The votes in his Senate race came down predictably on party rather than racial lines, I suspect the Governors race would be similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland