Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 23,362 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Howard County. New Construction is driving us towards a purchase in Fulton, Maryland, Maple Lawn Community. We are african american with high school boys and we need feedback.

1. If you live in Maple Lawn, can you provide us feedback on your experience living in the community? A bit concerned about the power lines but we have to compromise.

2. I was interested in Howard or Atholton High. This community is zoned for Reservoir High. Given we are african american we are seeking a sound school that is culturally diverse with racially diverse students having similar interests to our sons (academics, extracurricular activities, college, art, etc.).

Questions:

- What is your opinion on why Reservoir high is rated 8 on great schools while Atholton and Howard are rated a 10?

- Reservoir is fairly new. What is faculty, principal, parent involvement in striving to make this school a 9 or 10?

- How is the principal staff what is their tenure, how is turnover?

- What is the african american student experience at this school?

- Higher percent of students on reduced lunch. How does the school support these students, are some parents involved, are academically strong students integrated into top classes where appropriate?

- Cultural diversity (racially and ethnic, gender, socioeconomic) what is that like and are students supportive of each other?

- How does the high school compare to the others in Howard County in assisting students with college preparation, selection, scholarships?

- Boundaries - have they shifted often? Has there been parent concerns?

- Is there more than average disciplinary issues? Are they handled properly?

- Basketball what is the coach and the team experience like? Any players receive scholarships?

- Art, drawing - any unique opportunities for students in this focus area?

I know this is a lot. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 AM

195 posts, read 745,140 times
I'm sorry, I can't help answer any of your questions but you may want to check out Great Schools website if you haven't already. There are some parent reviews on there. Maryland schools - MD elementary, middle and high school information

Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,612 times
I'm not a resident of Maple Lawn nor am I that familiar with the school, but I can try to answer a couple of your questions.

Quote:
What is your opinion on why Reservoir high is rated 8 on great schools while Atholton and Howard are rated a 10?
The GreatSchools site states that its scores are based solely on standardized test scores, and demographics have a lot to do with test scores. The percentage of students receiving free/reduced meals (FARM) is a pretty good predictor of how schools will do on these tests. Reservoir's FARM percentage is almost 17% which is probably a little higher than most of the schools. Howard's FARM is 8.2 and Atholton's is 5.7. All of the schools with a 10 rating have FARMs of around 5% or lower.

BTW, Howard is rated a 9 on the site, not a 10.

Quote:
On the whole, boundary lines do shift often in the county, due to rapid growth in some areas and new school construction. However, I don't recall anything in the works that would affect Maple Lawn.

Quote:
Basketball what is the coach and the team experience like? Any players receive scholarships?
I can't answer this question for this school, but Howard schools in general are usually not all that strong in basketball and football. There are exceptions, of course. But the county has perennial champion teams in soccer, lacrosse, baseball/softball and volleyball.

I know of a couple of people who have gone to Reservoir and the families seemed very happy with the school. The school is definitely racially diverse, as is the Maple Lawn community. Personally, I think it is a good all-around school and a great community in which to live.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 23,362 times
Thank you for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,612 times
I know nothing about this, but there's an article on Reservoir HS in this week's Howard County Times.

Explore Howard: Teacher turnover, suspensions on docket of Reservoir High meeting

Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 PM

332 posts, read 1,279,939 times
There have been a few articles about Reservior High School and parents not being happy with the teacher turnover, suspensions and behavioral issues. Another issue is somewhat cultural, there are a few students moving from Fulton ES, Lime Kilm MS and then to Reservior. Fulon Es and Lime Kilm are 50+% white and then the next largest minority group is Asian. They do not have very many reduce or free lunch kids and probably do not have some of the challenges that Reservior has. I have heard some of the parents complaining about the transition, I think the Maple Lawn community is the main group that does this particular transition of schools.

My main concern with Reservoir would be the number of students going on to 4 year colleges, it is one of the lowest % in the county. I would think that the number of students going to 4 year colleges should be higher than what it is but I do not know the economic make up of some of the other areas feeding this school. My concern is that it has a lower free and reduce lunch rate than several schools in Hoco but and a lower 4 year college rate. In general, I'm leary of statistic but your child is never a statistic and they are going to perform based off of your values, your parenting and your economic & educational levels and standards. Plus they really tell you about the area and not whether or not a school is better or not. If you adjust most of Hoco schools for demographics, ( mainly economic )the schools scores would be really close together. Unfortunately, free and reduce lunch students fail at Clarksville's and EC's schools just like they fail in any place else. Without a demographic shift- naturally or via redistricting, this school will struggle to receive a 10 but I think they could get a 9 given other schools with similar demographics get a 9. Of course, your child will get into a top school at a 8, 9 school just like they will at a 10 school. It might be easier because there will be fewer parents requiring their kid to get straight As and a near perfect SAT score

Maple Lawn - very nice community really nice homes. We looked at this community when we moved here 2009. My major concern with the community was that a lot of the homes were built around 2005 and 2006. I was really concerned that there would be a lot of foreclosures in this community because the condos were going in the 500k, town homes 700 and sfh around 800-900, (I'm going off of memory with these estimates), I thought that this was high for new homes in this area. When I was looking in 2009 they still had not adjusted the prices downward, I think they finally did this in 2010. It seems like homes are now going for 100,000 - 200,000 less, hopefully the new homeowners will weather the storm and the builders are giving the discounts to new buyers.

FYI, I do not live in Maple Lawn or Fulton. I due know that there is a black parents association for Reservior.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 9,422 times
- What is your opinion on why Reservoir high is rated 8 on great schools while Atholton and Howard are rated a 10?
8 is not bad. The entire Howard County system is the top in the nation. Any school will provide a worthwhile education. However, Reservoir is probably an 8 because Atholton and Howard have been around for decades--many students have had parents who went to those schools.
- Reservoir is fairly new. What is faculty, principal, parent involvement in striving to make this school a 9 or 10?
The music, drama, and art programs are probably some of the best in the entire county. Parent involvement is HUGE and students become committed for life. If you get a chance, look up some of the work of the students on YouTube or other online searches. The theatrical productions are some of the best in the county, and always receive positive reviews. The Symphonic/Marching band is award winning and plays college-level literature, as well as the orchestra. The concert choir received a standing ovation at adjudication last year, and the Madrigals perform at the Board of Education frequently. Overall, parents are highly involved and involvement is steadily increasing.
- How is the principal staff what is their tenure, how is turnover?
Turnover is becoming a problem. Search for the Baltimore Sun's reporting on Reservoir's recent community meeting that discussed this problem.
- What is the african american student experience at this school?
Reservoir has strong programs that help minority students get ahead as well as a strong alliance of African American teachers and students.
- Higher percent of students on reduced lunch. How does the school support these students, are some parents involved, are academically strong students integrated into top classes where appropriate?
There are many students who are on a reduced lunch who are so successful in their endeavors that their economic situation is not a factor in their academics. However, other students who are on reduced lunch have difficulties succeeding, though there are opportunities to break out of the stigma of a reduced lunch. The AP program is phenomenal and teachers as well as students are trying to expand it. Unfortunately, many of the AP students do not interact with non-AP students (simply due to scheduling and extracurricular activities--most AP students are involved in sports, music, drama, or art). However, many students are afraid to take upper level classes because of the difficult time (I'd say due to unfit teachers) at many of the lower levels. Though Honors classes as well as GT are quite beneficial to students in preparing for college.
- Cultural diversity (racially and ethnic, gender, socioeconomic) what is that like and are students supportive of each other?
Reservoir is one of the most diverse schools in Howard County. There are two extremes--Fulton/Scaggsville and North Laurel. Fulton/Scaggsville (Including Maple Lawn) is wealthier and often has a higher proportion of Caucasian and Asian students. Most students who receive free/reduced lunches are from North Laurel and they are predominantly African American and Latino. Many of the fights are racially charged, and though many students are quite accepting of other cultures and economic classes, some feel the need to lash out at people who are different. There are organizations such as BSAP, GAAP, and culture club which cater to minorities and are relatively beneficial.
- How does the high school compare to the others in Howard County in assisting students with college preparation, selection, scholarships?
The individual counselors are fabulous and do a great job in the college application process. They are open to questions at any time and are quite timely in recommendations, transcripts, etc.
It's more about overcrowding now, and I'm not sure when the next redistricting will occur. There have been talks in the past of redistricting (without grandfathering, unfortunately) but it hasn't happened yet.
- Is there more than average disciplinary issues? Are they handled properly?
Yes. I feel like there are more fights than normal because there aren't as many outlets for kids to express themselves. There are no kids who actually walk to school, and many kids who live farther away can't get rides to and from after school activities. So boredom builds and they release it through fights and other forms of misbehavior. That being said, a student can get suspended for breaking up a fight. I don't understand the logic in that.
- Basketball what is the coach and the team experience like? Any players receive scholarships?
Sports are still developing since the school is relatively new, particularly basketball. That being said, sometimes the team will have a good season and may have a winning record, and scouts may come out. We did have one student (class of 2009) who attends UPenn now on a scholarship and is basically considered the best basketball player that ever attended Reservoir. However, many times making the team is based on petty politics, like commitment in previous years rather than actual ability. I'd say good luck, because it can go either way. Although, as previously mentioned, we do have state and regional championship titles in soccer (men's and women's), wrestling, marching band, volleyball, track, cross country, among others.
- Art, drawing - any unique opportunities for students in this focus area?
Reservoir's arts are actually quite spectacular. Dr. Kaufman really supports all efforts of the arts, including music, drama, and visual media. The AP Art (portfolio development) program is strong and the teachers are amazing. I'd say this is solid.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,843 times
We have teen African- American child and enjoy bringing him up in the Scaggsville area. We have been here 10 years. However an opportunity presented itself to send him to private high school and we took it. This decision was made primarily because so many of their graduates don't seem to enter into prestigious colleges. Time will tell if we made the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland