Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 11,094 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving to the DC area in the summer. My husband has a job offer in National Harbor, Maryland. We have 3 children, ages 10,6,4 and will need great schools, although private is an option. The children are currently in private school.
I am not sure where would be the best neighborhood to live.
We prefer a neighborhood that is safe and has children. We're not looking for a crazy commute, but realize that a commute in the DC area is inevitable. We would prefer an area where some backyard is possible.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 AM

126 posts, read 423,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africamom View Post
We are possibly moving to the DC area in the summer. My husband has a job offer in National Harbor, Maryland. We have 3 children, ages 10,6,4 and will need great schools, although private is an option. The children are currently in private school.
We prefer a neighborhood that is safe and has children. We're not looking for a crazy commute, but realize that a commute in the DC area is inevitable. We would prefer an area where some backyard is possible.
Your budget is going to greatly determine recommendations.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Default budget

At first we will probably rent as we have a home in Williamsburg. Our rental budget will be between $2000-$3000 per month. Eventually we will probably look for homes around the $600 000- $800 000 range. We have lived in TN, RI and now in Southern VA and the housing prices keep going up. Seems we're headed on a steady incline

Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
If private school is an option, check out Fort Washington or Accokeek. I personally like the feel of those areas. Renting will give you a chance to seek how you like either of them. There's also the Alexandria area as well.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:06 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
I agree with Bowian for private schools. Those are good options for that area. Williamsburg is quite a laid back place. Do you like to have everything close by or would you rather be further away from shopping centers, malls and what not?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Williamsburg is laid back and family centered. We've only been here 2 years, but love it. Making this potential move a tough one to make.
We don't want to be in the middle of hustle and bustle, but not too far from decent grocery stores etc. Visiting DC is one thing but deciding on an area to live another. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Williamsburg is laid back and family centered. We've only been here 2 years, but love it. Making this potential move a tough one to make.
We don't want to be in the middle of hustle and bustle, but not too far from decent grocery stores etc. Visiting DC is one thing but deciding on an area to live another. Thanks for your input.
I will be honest in Fort Washington and Accokeek, your choices for close grocery shopping is Giant, Safeway and Food Lion. Some like that, some don't. If you like upscale grocery shopping and organic food, that's probably not going to be your cup of tea and you would probably enjoy NoVA more. If you like good but lesser costing food, then you will okay here in this part of PG. It's very quiet down here too. We don't have a lot of shopping in Fort Washington or Accokeek. The shopping will be in Oxon Hill including the National Harbor which will soon have an outlet mall, and Walmart nearby.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
You will pay more for the property in NOVA, but you will pay more in taxes in MD. Which one do you suppose you might get more back with when you sell and move away? You'll never see those taxes back. As long as you can afford NOVA, go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: