Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:05 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times

Advertisements

I live in Laurel and work in downtown Silver Spring. My commute can be from 20 minutes up to an hour depending on the unpredictable traffic. I personally have a bias for Laurel. I like the historic area of Laurel that still has the small town feel. But Laurel is getting huge. There are a lot of nice developments popping up all around. Crime is usually more of the petty stuff. Someone had a link to crime in the state and only two murders were indicated in Laurel (for last year I believe). And not in the heart of Laurel, but in incorporated areas. Of course, there are areas that aren't as nice as others and probably have more crime (areas with alot of apartment complexes). I have lived in Adelphi, Langley Park, Beltsville, Hyattsville, Riverdale, and College Park and, trust me, Laurel is a Gem compared to some of those.

Downtown Silver Spring is really being revitalized. Growing up, it was the place to go for Christmas Shopping in the '60s (I was REAL young, lol) and then something happened and it was an empty, neglected waste of space. Over the past 15 years that I have worked in Silver Spring, I have seen it go from kinda sad and depressing to really bustling and rejuvenated. I now enjoy working here more, but to be honest I don't know what it is like after 5:00 p.m. Now, this is all based on the old Downtown area, like others have said, Silver Spring is huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:27 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
[quote=3lilpigs;1680559] With his job in Elkridge, what are some reasonable places to live? QUOTE]

The newer parts of Elkridge is a fine place to live, but you may be in for sticker shock if you want a single family house. Ellicott City is also very nice with a historic old downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland