Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 PM

21 posts, read 49,558 times

Advertisements

No rurals here lots of people come and go here. Yes there is lots of my family here. But I also have a lot coming with us. Lol as for the Red Neck thing. A red neck is someone like the Turtle Man on the Discovery channel. No one like that here were I live. We are nice down to earth people and just tired of be treated like minions for the Governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:48 PM

242 posts, read 465,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEdwards10 View Post
Moving to Carroll County MD from Cali
Oh wow, Cali, Columbia is a beautiful city filled with very friendly people, excellent seafood, superb beaches and a sense of hospitality that is seldom matched by other cities!!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
IMO= In My Opinion.

We live right on the border of Carroll and Howard Counties, our property backs up to the RR tracks that divide the 2. I was happy about that because the taxes are much higher in Howard County. Columbia is very nice but be aware of the taxes, the taxes you pay the association if you live in certain parts of Columbia, and the fact that it isn't even close to country. It is the burbs, with a fancy layout.

Based on your review of the schools I really think you are on the right track with your original thought of Sykesville.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 AM

Ok so I have found some schools. But I was woundering if there was a place that parents and students go to talk about there school? I found a site called great schools. There are some post on there from students and parents but a lot are really out of date. I would like to know what they think of the schools now. Happy to say the schools I have found have AP classes and have a lot of A/B students. So Sykesville and Eldersburg looks like it will be are new stomping ground.

I know there is a lot of history there with the people there and we are not looking to step on anyone toes. We are looking to become part of the town not just outsiders looking in. We respect all color, religion, believes, and people that have lived there all there lives. So westcostboy dont worry we are good people.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
But I was woundering if there was a place that parents and students go to talk about there school?
Agreed that Greatschools is out of data. There is a facebook page for Carroll County schools and also some groups in Yahoogroups. You could also look for blogs.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:05 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Ok so I have found some schools. But I was woundering if there was a place that parents and students go to talk about there school? I found a site called great schools. There are some post on there from students and parents but a lot are really out of date. I would like to know what they think of the schools now. Happy to say the schools I have found have AP classes and have a lot of A/B students. So Sykesville and Eldersburg looks like it will be are new stomping ground.

I know there is a lot of history there with the people there and we are not looking to step on anyone toes. We are looking to become part of the town not just outsiders looking in. We respect all color, religion, believes, and people that have lived there all there lives. So westcostboy dont worry we are good people.

It isn't so much about being good people, it about living among those that may not share the same beliefs as you. Many time outsiders will make value judgements about the locals because of their beliefs or lifestyles and talk down to the natives. This rarely works out well.

I don't think you will run into any problems in Sykesville or Eldersburg, both are pretty suburban. And you seem very level headed about the whole process. I just wanted to make sure you didn't fall into the trap many others do. I doesn't look like you will. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Happy to say the schools I have found have AP classes and have a lot of A/B students. So Sykesville and Eldersburg looks like it will be are new stomping ground.
Me thinks mom is the one who needs to go back to school.

Kidding....kidding.

As for fitting in, I have no doubt that won't be a problem for you. We live in Woodbine, not nearly as diverse as your new area. This is the land of the working guy for sure. When we moved here 10 years ago I was kind of worried about fitting in. I was always the only guy at the 7-11 who was wearing a tie. But it has been great, the guy in the dirty flannel shirt holds the door for me with a smile, and I do the same for him, nearly every time.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 PM

82 posts, read 186,722 times
OP, you mentioned being outdoors, and playing in the sun. I like Frederick County for that. There are parts of southern Frederick and west Frederick county (Middletown) that would be nice for hills and grassy areas and vistas. I find once you get further east past Mt. Airy the landscape changes. It becomes flatter with very tall trees. I tell you this because these neighborhoods can be very forested, and block out a lot of light. Once you get closer to the bay though, the landscape opens up again with more marshland qualities. If you like beaches, maybe consider Annapolis/Severna Park area as well.

As much as I love being on the east coast, it is a drastic change from the west. I still can't get used to the trees.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 AM

Although that poster was spot on regarding his discriptions, I never considered trees to be a bad thing. But his post is exactly why I love MD.

We live right on the edge of Appalachia, he is right in saying the topography changes dramatically once you get east of Mt. Airy. So if I look to the west I see mountains that I can get to in 15 minutes. If I go east the same amount of time I'm in downtown Baltimore and all that offers. If I go southeast in an hour I am pulling into the beach towns of the Chesapeake, a totally different look than where I live. 2 hours further and I am staring at the ocean. Not too many places are like that, it's like living in 3 states at once.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 PM

Opps Sorry for the miss usage of my words. Our not are, it was late. As for the trees Im with Davein. There is nothing wrong with seeing nothing but trees. Its relaxing to have nature all around you. But still be a hop, skip, and jump away from the city to enjoy that part of life too. The Appalachian Trail is one of my husbands dreams. And to move close enought to help him achieve that goal means so much to me.

I have two more questions for anyone that can help. I am trying to find the weather history for the area and Air quality. So does anyone know a web site that would have that info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland