Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 PM

12 posts, read 45,936 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are considering relocating here. Can anyone give me some positives and negatives, as I'm much more familiar w/ DE? Thanks so much!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 AM

297 posts, read 1,273,153 times
This is going to be undeniably biased since we love living here in Carroll County and can't say enough good about it. The comments will focus mostly on southern Carroll County since that's the area I am more familiar with.

Pros: Wonderful quality of life, lowest crime rate county in the state, great community, great schools, rural areas as well as suburban areas (so there is something for everyone), housing is still somewhat affordable for Maryland (admittedly this is relative).

Cons (Ok, I've decided to give you the negatives, too): if you are planning to work in DC it's way too far for any kind of commute, no public transportation to speak of, traffic is starting to increase a bit (Rt. 32 can be a nightmare during rush hour), for decent shopping you need to go either to Westminster or Columbia (but the basics are available), not a whole lot for teenagers to do.

All in all I would strongly recommend moving to Carroll County (especially the Eldersburg/Sykesville area). I hope others can give you more information about some of the other areas of the county.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
It would depend a lot on what you enjoy and feel comfortable living near. If you are a city person than Carroll County is by no means the place for you. If you enjoy country living but closing to amentities such as shopping, dining, etc than Eldersburg would be better but be warned it is very congested in that area. If you love the country life don't mind being a little bit out from everything but still within a reasonable drive of 15 min than I highly recommend the Northern Carroll County area such as Silver Run/Union Mills. I moved from there 2 years ago and very much miss it. I moved only because the cost of living was getting higher as well as congestion but then again I moved to an area which is even worse when it comes to congestion, Charlotte NC. BUt I have to say I do not regret the move one bit. Good luck on your move.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:39 PM

69 posts, read 400,698 times
Thumbs up Love Carroll County - Manchester

We moved to Manchester in Carroll County four years ago and love, love, love it, BUT, there is not a whole lot for teenagers to do. Crime rate is low, roads clean, everyone friendly, no smog - fresh, clean air except for the manure from area farms, and an all around fantastic place to live. I just wish there was more for the younger crowd to do -- we don't even have rock-and-bowl on weekend nights -- the bowling alleys close early. We have putt-putt and movies, and one mall in Westminster, but you can buy anything you need in Carroll County. The schools are great as well as a private college and a community college--also very close to Gettysburg and within one hour of downtown Baltimore stadium for baseball. If you don't mind driving for night-life attractions, you can have the best of both worlds -- a safe and clean place to live, and within driving distance of anything you might need, either 15 minutes to a nearby store or one hour to Baltimore City.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:33 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,530 times
What are you looking for? Raising a family? Social life? Where will you be working? More information is needed to give you a quality answer.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 17,489 times
Carroll County is largely made of conservative Republicans. In Westminster, there are many people who have been born and raised here and seldom if, ever, go further than the same ocean beach resort town in MD, DE or NC that they go to every year with the same people they grew up with. In short, if you are not from here, or if you don't have the same insular sensibilities than most of the people here, you will forever be treated as an outsider. Here, different = suspicious. That being said, there are many perfectly nice, pleasant folks here, and if you are of the same breed, with similar views and lifestyle, no doubt you will be warmly welcomed and made to feel right at home. If you are a conformist with conservative leanings, this may be the perfect place for you. Be warned though, the traffic is horrible in Westminster. Housing prices are remarkably high, but with some careful shopping, you can find reasonable prices on groceries, etc. Personally, I can't imagine choosing to live here unless I had family close by or my job demanded it, but it can be a nice fit for someone who isn't too particular about climate or breathtaking scenery. For those of a more liberal bent, or who are more unique in their appearance and personality, who may show more of a broader point of view, Carroll County may not be the best place if you are looking for acceptance, or even tolerance. You may be in for a lonely experience in a populated area.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,791 times
Default Westminster/Carroll County

As a resident i can say,

Pros:
low crime
rural area
nice schools

Cons:
far from baltimore other cities
urban sprawl taking over some farms/woods
mall is small/ not many good stores
houses can be expensive but not as bad as howard county
no real public trans
not much for teens to do

Old 10-12-2008, 08:27 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggia View Post
Carroll County is largely made of conservative Republicans. In Westminster, there are many people who have been born and raised here and seldom if, ever, go further than the same ocean beach resort town in MD, DE or NC that they go to every year with the same people they grew up with. In short, if you are not from here, or if you don't have the same insular sensibilities than most of the people here, you will forever be treated as an outsider. Here, different = suspicious. That being said, there are many perfectly nice, pleasant folks here, and if you are of the same breed, with similar views and lifestyle, no doubt you will be warmly welcomed and made to feel right at home. If you are a conformist with conservative leanings, this may be the perfect place for you. Be warned though, the traffic is horrible in Westminster. Housing prices are remarkably high, but with some careful shopping, you can find reasonable prices on groceries, etc. Personally, I can't imagine choosing to live here unless I had family close by or my job demanded it, but it can be a nice fit for someone who isn't too particular about climate or breathtaking scenery. For those of a more liberal bent, or who are more unique in their appearance and personality, who may show more of a broader point of view, Carroll County may not be the best place if you are looking for acceptance, or even tolerance. You may be in for a lonely experience in a populated area.
I kind of feel I would completely fit in with this kind of mindset and community but if I'm non-white (Asian American, born here, assimilated, conservative Republican, educated) woudl I still be welcomed equally? Just curious....here in grad school a lot of minorities are paranoid about moving into predominantly white areas those these areas always seem to be the ones that have the things I'm looking for eventually to settle down.

I have 4 years to consider either staying in Maryland or moving to the South or West. Carroll County is one of the places in Maryland I would consider.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:52 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggia View Post
I would not look into this post too much. It is like this is ALLL small towns. I would say Sykesville/Eldersburg area you definately would not have this problem as this is the largest area people move to/from so everybody does not know everybody anyway. As far as Northern Carroll County, well that is where most from Eldersburg are moving to as well as B-more and DC. So again most of the "locals" as was mentioned is this post have moved on outta here and most of those still here are relos/transplants who don't know everyone anyhow. Yes you still have the older locals who are too set in their ways and won't move on as well but that is a small few and they keep to themselves anyway. So, if you like the area I would not hold this post even remotely in the back of your mind as I feel it just is not the case.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
My parents once lived in New Windsor. I've been to Carroll County, and I like the area. My co-worker lives in Carroll County and loves the area. But several years ago, I believe the county experienced a severe dry spell, where the wells of some homes went dry. Luckily for him, his home was conected to the public sewage system. It may happen every 100 years, but with global warming, that's an issue I would consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland